Rapira and Sputnik -- your experience?

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
slackskin

Rapira and Sputnik -- your experience?

Post by slackskin »

I recently received some Rapiras and Sputniks from a vendor as a freebie in a purchase. They both do a poor job on my particular face. What have been the experiences of other members?

I ask because I would like to develop some alternate blades to keep in mind if the shaveocalypse occurs and the big companies stop making blades.
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

The lamented Super Iridiums are my favourite blade. I've tried most of the current russian blades.On a whole these are felling axes vs filleting knives.
They require extra care on the initial pass while honing in. Successive shaves, and most are really good for 3 shaves 5 max take me more time and attention to skills. I am using a small supply of Swedish Rapiras for daily shaving. Most of the blades were recently group purchased at discount. This was good for individuals but the bottom fell out for longterm sales and availability :x
Jonnieboy61

Post by Jonnieboy61 »

KAV wrote:The lamented Super Iridiums are my favourite blade. I've tried most of the current russian blades.On a whole these are felling axes vs filleting knives.
They require extra care on the initial pass while honing in. Successive shaves, and most are really good for 3 shaves 5 max take me more time and attention to skills. I am using a small supply of Swedish Rapiras for daily shaving. Most of the blades were recently group purchased at discount. This was good for individuals but the bottom fell out for longterm sales and availability :x

No doubt from me I think since the demise of the "Swede" that the Super Iridium is a great blade from all aspects IMO, but I still enjoy the Russian Gillette 7 O'clock Yellows and Blues as well
John
OtherMoe

Re: Rapira and Sputnik -- your experience?

Post by OtherMoe »

slackskin wrote:I recently received some Rapiras and Sputniks from a vendor as a freebie in a purchase. They both do a poor job on my particular face. What have been the experiences of other members?

I ask because I would like to develop some alternate blades to keep in mind if the shaveocalypse occurs and the big companies stop making blades.
I have no experience with Sputnik. I found Rapira Platinum Lux to be a fine blade, Rapira Swedish Supersteel,,,,,,, not so much.
--------------------------
-Moe
dosco

Post by dosco »

Jonnieboy61 wrote:but I still enjoy the Russian Gillette 7 O'clock Yellows and Blues as well
I have no experience with the Rapiras or Sputniks ... with that said I started this week with a Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Stainless (made in Russia) that comes in a green box ... I am enjoying it immensely.
malocchio

Post by malocchio »

I get nice shaves from both varieties of sputnik
Dripp

Post by Dripp »

I didn't like the sputniks at all. I read all the posts that compared them to the super iridiums, etc, but not for me.

Never tried the rapiras.
Dripp in Cincinnati
Seamaster

Post by Seamaster »

I had a poor experience with Sputniks, but this was back when I was a rookie, so concede this may have had as much to do with technique as the blade.
alcx77

Post by alcx77 »

I tried the Sputnick blade some time back. Serviceable if care is take
on initial use. :)
TommyDawg

Post by TommyDawg »

For me, the sputnik is a horrible blade. I really like the rapira's, and recently bought a hundred.
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

You may enjoy ASTRAS,another russian blade. Bullgoose Has them back in stock.
They are a nice blade.
slackskin

Astras

Post by slackskin »

Yes, KAV, the Astras are one of my favorites. Not only do they give me a really good shave, but they are reasonably priced. This means that when traveling I can use them for a couple of days and move on, without thinking I am wasting money. If I used a 7 o'clock blue for two days and then had to move on to the next destination, I would feel wasteful. Thanks.
vpayne

Post by vpayne »

I thought Rapira Platinum Lux was better than most (top 10) but the Rapira Sweedish Supersteel was not as good. No exp w/Sputniks. I agree the Astra Platinum is good (top 10) for me also. Other good blades to try that are available would be Personna med prep, Lab blades, Supremax Super Platinum. Other fine blade are Gillette 7 o'clock Blue, Yellow & the Blacks which are made in India. There are others that I have not tried yet.
ben74

Post by ben74 »

I've been using the Rapira Sweedish Supersteel blades and found them to be quite functional. I picked up a 100 for $8. Given the mild investment, I'm far from disappointed!!!
Ben
LouisIII

Post by LouisIII »

I'm very impressed by Rapira blades, they're close to, if not equal with, my favourite blade (yellow 7 o'clock).
~ Infusing the irreducibly quotidian with sensual pleasure ~
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

slack the Sputnik blades did not work for me but the Rapiras do with the Supersteel being superior to the Platinum.
Regards,
Squire