Cobra Classic vs. Muhle R41 Toothcomb

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
brothers

Cobra Classic vs. Muhle R41 Toothcomb

Post by brothers »

If I've already posted this question before, please excuse me. I've been moderately interested in the Cobra Classic for a while, but can't get over the carelessly aggressive design of the Toothcomb. If the Cobra cuts as raw and bloody as the Toothcomb, then I'm not interested. But if it, the Cobra, cuts more naturally and intelligently, along the lines of a good sharp straight razor, then I'd probably be very happy with it. What can you guys tell me about the comparison between these two unusual so-called safety razors?
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
BullGoose
Vendor

Post by BullGoose »

Gary...do not hesitate and pick up a Cobra Classic today. I have one and it has become an instant favorite. It is very efficient but, it is not harsh at all. I get BBS shaves that last 12 hours with the Cobra and absolutely no irritation.

And...I don't even sell it. How's that for an endorsement! :D

If you end up not liking it, they sell quickly on the B/S/T
http://www.bullgooseshaving.com -Rocnel, Barbaros, Boellis Panama, Savonniere du Moulin, Asylum Shave Works and so much more.

- Phil
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Gary, do you mean the 2011 R41? I thought you had one at one time?

It has rapidly become my favorite DE razor. Aggressive yes, but it's never drawn blood on me unless I deliberately make it do so; like the day I sliced into the corner of my nose. It demands perfect technique, but it'll return that with a perfect shave w/o having to work at it.

I'm not crazy about the handle, but I can live with it.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
brothers

Post by brothers »

ShadowsDad wrote:Gary, do you mean the 2011 R41? I thought you had one at one time?

It has rapidly become my favorite DE razor. Aggressive yes, but it's never drawn blood on me unless I deliberately make it do so; like the day I sliced into the corner of my nose. It demands perfect technique, but it'll return that with a perfect shave w/o having to work at it.

I'm not crazy about the handle, but I can live with it.
You bet. I did have one, but I've not owned the Cobra Classic. That's the one I'm mainly interested in. We see a lot of the R41 razors changing hands on the forums, but there's not much traffic concerning the Cobra.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
LeGaulois

Post by LeGaulois »

Cobra Classic +1000
slantman

Post by slantman »

Cobra Classic without a doubt. Shaves extremely smooth and close and you can get at least ten excellent shaves or more out of one blade. Blade choices are Feather Pro or Kai Captain Titan Mild. On the other hand the R41 is not a comfortable shave no matter how careful I was.
BullGoose
Vendor

Post by BullGoose »

LeGaulois wrote:Cobra Classic +1000
I see your +1000 and raise you +1000. :lol:
http://www.bullgooseshaving.com -Rocnel, Barbaros, Boellis Panama, Savonniere du Moulin, Asylum Shave Works and so much more.

- Phil
changabang

Post by changabang »

I have them both, and I feel much safer using the Cobra, even though the razor itself feels somewhat unwieldy due to the width of the head. Still, I feel more certain when using the Cobra that I'm not going to sacrifice draughts of blood. To be honest, I don't use either of them very often. I'm more comforted by the trustworthyness of the iKon or the Weber Two Tone.
James Nicks
mantic
Wielder of the Zorrick

Post by mantic »

changabang wrote:I have them both, and I feel much safer using the Cobra, even though the razor itself feels somewhat unwieldy due to the width of the head...
I agree with this. I also have both, and while they are both very aggressive the R41 can be just plain mean if you don't have your technique spot on.

(As a matter of fact I'm in the middle of editing a video about the R41 that includes a lot of horror film stock footage. 8) )

--Mark
slantman

Post by slantman »

mantic wrote:
changabang wrote:I have them both, and I feel much safer using the Cobra, even though the razor itself feels somewhat unwieldy due to the width of the head...
I agree with this. I also have both, and while they are both very aggressive the R41 can be just plain mean if you don't have your technique spot on.

(As a matter of fact I'm in the middle of editing a video about the R41 that includes a lot of horror film stock footage. 8) )

--Mark
Very droll Mark :roll:
brothers

Post by brothers »

Here's looking forward to your new release Mark. I like scary movies.
Gary

ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Well, yes the R41 can be all that. It's certainly like grabbing a tiger by the tail if someone shouldn't be using it. It also takes a while to get accustomed to feeling the blade flexing in use. I think that scares lots of folks into making mistakes with it. It just doesn't feel right the first time or two.

Treat it the way it needs to be treated, with respect, and it's unbelievably well behaved IMO. Folks just need to know their limitations. The razor isn't a feel good thing from a modern school where "We don't want to hurt anyones feelings". It's just a razor, and if somone is capable, it is too, if someone isn't, it lets the user know in a very public way, with blood. No feel good, "Everyones a winner" crap with it.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
brothers

Post by brothers »

Re: Cobra Classic, I located this video clipon YouTube. The guy does a good job, as usual.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

Brian I get what you're saying, but some of us simply don't care for certain things. It's not that we are supposed to knuckle down and make ourself endure or tolerate certain aspects about certain razors, blades, creams, soaps, brushes, etc. :D It's more like this, if I like something, or don't like something, I get to decide that, and that's the way it stands. To each his own. Fair enough? If I don't enjoy or feel good about any part of the process, I'm moving on to options that I do feel good about and enjoy. That's why they invented YMMV! :lol:
Gary

itsmedave

Post by itsmedave »

I gotta get me one of those
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

Gary, get the Cobra. I bought the second one ever produced and while IMO it's not a beginners razor, it will provide shaves that are second to none and very smooth. It is the ONLY razor capable of doing a one pass shave on a very tough beard (mine) that I've ever been happy with.
To clarify, I do a two pass shave as a regular routine, but if you need or want to, it will do a one pass shave that you'll be happy with.
A word of warning: The Cobra can be very addictive!

Regards,
David
Regards,
David
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

which merchants are selling these??....i want to try one too,,,,@&!(%#$ enablers on this site!!!!! lol

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
brothers

Post by brothers »

fallingwickets wrote:which merchants are selling these??....i want to try one too,,,,@&!(%#$ enablers on this site!!!!! lol

clive
As of right now, I'm aware of two. Classic Shaving and Executive Shaving (limited supply here). Don't forget the blades! Meanwhile, true to my puzzling nature, I'm still holding off on my order. I've got a refund from a misadventure with an aborted brush purchase, supposedly enroute to my Paypal account, which will just about cover the price of a Cobra. Yeah, I'll probably wait too long and they'll be all sold out, that's the way I do stuff.
Gary

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Thanks Gary. The razor needs special blades? ughhh, I have ten closets filled with merkurs :lol:
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Phil, why dont you sell it?????? Are you planning to???? Sheesh man, get with the programme

:lol: :lol:

clive