Cobra Classic vs. Muhle R41 Toothcomb

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

P.S. How do you decide what blade to use? They arent exactly inexpensive. Thanks in advance...i'm still a noob here when it comes to razors and blades

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
brothers

Post by brothers »

Clive, I remember reading an informative thread on the suject of the best blade option for the Cobra, here or elsewhere, quite some time ago. My plan is to go out and try to find that old thread before I buy.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Thanks Gary
brothers

Post by brothers »

Clive, if you find it before I do, please let me know, and I'll do the same if I find it.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
brothers

Post by brothers »

Clive, there is a pretty good discussion of the variety of Feather blades in this SMF thread. http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewto ... ight=cobra

Regarding the blades, if Feather Pro blades are your choice, Italian Barber has them for $15 a pack. Classic sells the Pro for $24 a pack. If I go that route, I can get 3 packs from IB for the price of 2 at Classic.
Gary

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Gary, thank you very much. I'm sure i will not be the only here appreciating your search skilz

clive
Tye
Watch this space!

Post by Tye »

I gotta stop reading this thread. I'm getting the Cobra bug now.

-Tye
Contributing Member to the Cause
BullGoose
Vendor

Post by BullGoose »

fallingwickets wrote:P.S. How do you decide what blade to use? They arent exactly inexpensive. Thanks in advance...i'm still a noob here when it comes to razors and blades

clive
Clive...the thing about the Feather Professional Blades is you get twice as many shaves as a regular DE blade (I get 10 very comfortable shaves from a Feather Professional Blade). The Cobra comes with a 20 pack of Feather Professional blades so, you will be set for awhile.
http://www.bullgooseshaving.com -Rocnel, Barbaros, Boellis Panama, Savonniere du Moulin, Asylum Shave Works and so much more.

- Phil
slantman

Post by slantman »

BullGoose wrote:
fallingwickets wrote:P.S. How do you decide what blade to use? They arent exactly inexpensive. Thanks in advance...i'm still a noob here when it comes to razors and blades

clive
Clive...the thing about the Feather Professional Blades is you get twice as many shaves as a regular DE blade (I get 10 very comfortable shaves from a Feather Professional Blade). The Cobra comes with a 20 pack of Feather Professional blades so, you will be set for awhile.
I agree with Phil. Some guys have gotten as much as 15 shaves out of the Feather Pro. I get 10 very comfortable shaves and the Cobra cuts very close without irritation.
BullGoose
Vendor

Post by BullGoose »

fallingwickets wrote:Phil, why dont you sell it?????? Are you planning to???? Sheesh man, get with the programme

:lol: :lol:

clive
I wish. :( It is made exclusively for Classic Shaving and they do not wholesale it. I do sell the blades though. :lol:
http://www.bullgooseshaving.com -Rocnel, Barbaros, Boellis Panama, Savonniere du Moulin, Asylum Shave Works and so much more.

- Phil
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Hmmm, just curious. It's been 40 years since I used an injector razor and basically the Cobra is an injector, yes?

Anyway, I'm currently noticing that the SE Feather I use in my Valet gives me far more shaves than I get from a DE Feather. I get 2 good shaves from their DE blade, and right now I have 5 shaves on the current SE blade.

Does the Cobra have a more slicing angle, similar to a SE razor? Or more of a scraping angle similar to a DE?
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
slantman

Post by slantman »

ShadowsDad wrote:Hmmm, just curious. It's been 40 years since I used an injector razor and basically the Cobra is an injector, yes?

Anyway, I'm currently noticing that the SE Feather I use in my Valet gives me far more shaves than I get from a DE Feather. I get 2 good shaves from their DE blade, and right now I have 5 shaves on the current SE blade.

Does the Cobra have a more slicing angle, similar to a SE razor? Or more of a scraping angle similar to a DE?
More of a slicing angle. The Cobra doesn't load like a regular injector. It has a lever that releases the bottom half of the head. The blade is loaded manually. Also the Feather & Kai blades are longer then a standard injector blade and much sharper. I easily get 10 shaves out of one blade. Some guys up to 15 but that might be pushing it.
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Thanks. I have a theory about why SE and now the Cobras blades last longer. Your info fits right into it.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Nothing 'feather' works for me....I must be jinxed :D

Thanks to all the gents here for sharing your knowledge with me

clive
itsmedave

Post by itsmedave »

I have acquired one. Can't wait to try it out!!
BullGoose
Vendor

Post by BullGoose »

itsmedave wrote:I have acquired one. Can't wait to try it out!!
Congratulations...let us know how it works for you.

- Phil
AFG

Post by AFG »

There's a good video on You Tube on this razor. Sorry for the lack of a link but you can easily find it by doing a search under Cobra Classic razor. The guy describes it as a hybrid between a straight and a DE. I have too many razors now but have been tempted to try it. Might be the closest I'll come to using a straight. I'm impressed how easily it seemed to shave a heavy beard growth. I'm afraid I'll like it and then what am I going to do with all the nice DEs I have accumulated?
Al
brothers

Post by brothers »

Al, here's the link to the YouTube video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwzA5Q9M2F8
Gary

itsmedave

Post by itsmedave »

BullGoose wrote:
itsmedave wrote:I have acquired one. Can't wait to try it out!!
Congratulations...let us know how it works for you.
I was lucky. The same fella who sold me the Cobra also had one of my last two razors I'd like to try as well, a Schick Adjustable Injector. I can't wait to try both of them out. Now all I need is an OC TTO Gillette and I'm golden
BullGoose
Vendor

Post by BullGoose »

itsmedave wrote: Now all I need is an OC TTO Gillette and I'm golden
For now Dave. For now. :D

- Phil