Broken Merkur--help!!

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
drsluggo

Broken Merkur--help!!

Post by drsluggo » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:28 am

This morning the screw/stem came off of the head of my Merkur while I was tightening it. Who would have thunk it. It doesn't look repairable, so does anyone know where (if) I can get just the head and screw assembly? I obviously don't need a whole new razor if it can be avoided. Thanks.
Steve
drsluggo@sc.rr.com

slantman

Post by slantman » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:50 am

Sorry that happened to you. The screw is welded onto the head and can easily break if over tightened. I assume you have a 3 piece Merkur. Go to the Dovo.com website and get the contact info for Anna Rothstein. She will probably send you a new head. Merkur customer service I understand is pretty good.

JarmoP

Post by JarmoP » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:20 pm

Merkur has its quality control problems with head cps etc. Head cap rod in 2 piece razors like HD could be a weak link if tightened too tightly.

My 34C is a great one and I see no reason why it should not last my lifetime.
My Progress too.

But the golden 34G is not perfect: On one side of the blade flap end it was I think smirkled too much after cast, before all the platings done. So now the blade flap there bothers me a bit as it is now just as much exposed as in the Gillette Super Speeds. Making it possible to get a nose bleed when shaving the upper lip. And also the screw windings in the head cap rod are only long enough for a quarter circle turn to tighten up, so there is not much windings there left. It works, but how long?

My 34C HD is my fave razor, far better than my gillettes, but it might be a hit and miss sometimes IF you get a really good razor or just some not so perfect.
Jarmo