Which Merkur Adjustable?

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
DreadPirate

Which Merkur Adjustable?

Post by DreadPirate »

RAD is kicking in. Should I get a Futur or a Progress? I am not real keen on the Vision right now. Someone would really have to convince me.
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

well all i can tell you is my personal viewpoint. :lol: i've owned 3 futurs. i like the looks of them so much that i always like them around. trouble is,,,i always have a rougher shave from them then from a progress. the futur can be dialed in to be more aggressive then a progress but aggressive razors always come at a price and that is usually comfort. the progress shaves very much like an hd but can be adjusted to be milder or more aggressive obviously. i've had 2 or 3 modified by mer into mergress's. i've also had long handled versions. finally after all these razors i have happily settled for a standard length progress. the quality question is not an issue with the new progress's since the retooling.

to sum up: a progress has a smaller head for better manuvering , has a shorter handle too. much less mass to move around your face than a futur. also, for me, a more comfortable shave experience and final result
Last edited by gil3591 on Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
mantic
Wielder of the Zorrick

Post by mantic »

Another vote for the Progress.
melyus
Vendor

Post by melyus »

Futur %51 Modern Razor character
Mergress %49 Looks more Traditional razor character,
otherwise both of them very close for me.. i love both..

Last edited by melyus on Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
IanM

Post by IanM »

Progress.

Futur is good, but I prefer the Progress.

Ian
Those who design "Fool Proof" systems often underestimate the ability of fools.
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

to add to your confusion,

i a futur user and lover for way over ten years, both Squire and I agree
that the futur is "the shaving machine".

its the closest shave of any razor i have ever used, its big, its heavy
and needs repect. whether its used on the milest setting or the most aggressive setting it just shaves

even though its head is quite large i have no problem getting into the tighest spots to shave,

i never owned a progress, i do like its look, i have handled one but didnt experince its shave, but just holding it i knew i didnt need it.

marc
Jonnieboy61

Post by Jonnieboy61 »

I only have experience with the Vision (Which I have now sold) and I have to say it didn't work well with me I'm afraid, although I know a few Gents who swear by it.
Apart from the performance, I found it to be annoying when your fingers get wet mid shave and the razor felt like holding a wet bar of soap. Not recommended IMO.

All the best
John
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

This is a tough one as I love both razors. The Futur gives amazing close and smooth shaves, as does the Progress. The Progress is a little easier to maneuver, otherwise they're both good.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
brucered

Post by brucered »

this one...

progress, modded by Cooncat Bob (Bob's Razor Works)

Image Image Image Image Image
Elephants never forget!
DreadPirate

Post by DreadPirate »

Do you find the chrome finish Futur slippery? I would think the satin would be better.
melyus wrote:Futur %51 Modern Razor character
Mergress %49 Looks more Traditional razor character,
otherwise both of them very close for me.. i love both..

brothers

Post by brothers »

I've had a Futur in polished chrome, and it's the only razor that ever made my hand feel fatigued just trying to hold onto it while shaving. Wierd, and I didn't keep the Futur long. On the other hand, my son and son in law, because they were able to borrow my Futur while I was still on the honeymoon with it, got their own Futurs (matte finish, both of them) and have used them pretty much exclusively for at least two years. To replace my Futur, I got a long-handled Progress and have found it to be a splendid shaver. Reading this thread has made me curious to borrow one of the Futurs and give it another go, just to see if the ergonomics are just not right for my hand.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

i didn't have a problem with slippery handles but for some reason i think the gold futur was less slippery than the chrome
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

i have only used thw satin finish because when i bought mine that was the only choice

not slippery when wey

marc
glassmtn

Post by glassmtn »

I have had the Mergress, Progress, the Vision, and a chrome and satin Futur. I preferred the Futur. I sold the satin Futur to buy the chrome version because I liked the looks of the chrome. I did not feel a difference between gripping the chrome or the satin Futur. I have never had a problem with the grip on the chrome Futur.

eric.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Dread I used a Progress for six months and gave it away, it just never worked for me. The Futur however is a razor I could use exclusively were I an exclusive use sort of guy.
Regards,
Squire
JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

I recently purchased a 23C. Until that point, I had exclusively used a matte finish Futur for some 5 years...the last 3...it has been set on 4.

Never used a Progress...though I am looking to get a Mergress soon.

I am with Squire and Marc...the Futur is a joy for me to use and gives a great shave. Feels great in the hand...I like hefty razors and pens.
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
celestino

Post by celestino »

i have a Progess long handle and it works very well. i find it a bit better overall than the Futur chrome that i had. The Futur gave a crisper shave, in my opinion, which i did not care for as opposed to the Progess where the shave is a bit smoother.
Good luck.
brothers

Post by brothers »

I found that the Progress long handle just feels better to my hand than the Futur. Plus, the shave is about as good as it gets, being adjustable and all. It's a very nice razor, well finished and on the heavier side.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Climb14er

Post by Climb14er »

Can't speak more highly than the Mergress!

Been using a Progress for many years with great success. Found however, the handle a bit too short for me.

Had The Progress lengthened to a Mergress XL and liked it so much, bought a new Mergress XL.

Cool thing about it is that the XL also fits in my leather Merkur travel razor case that I used for road trips with the Progress.

IMHO, the Megress XL is the finest razor I have ever used in almost forty years of shaving. :wink:

Kudos to Lee and Eric!
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

You all know me...

I own just about every Merkur razor around...

If I have to make a decision...

To me the PROGRESS is the best of them all...

ENJOY YOUR SHAVE...
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...