Best DE razor ever

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
divotmax

Best DE razor ever

Post by divotmax »

I've been working my way through the razors I own; not an extensive collection by any means, but contains most of the different types of Gillette razors and many of other makers. I try to use up at least one blade in each one just to see how effective and comfortable they are. The only one I haven't used is a cased, near-mint Executive that I am holding on to for some reason. My considered opinion is that the best DE razor I have found is the Gillette TTO Fat Boy. The Slim comes in a close second. My reasoning for this is:

* It is one of the best made razors by anybody. I have been using mine for going on 50 years and it still works perfectly. That's amazing considering the moving parts and mechanical construction. It also shows a minimal amount of wear on the finish. I have yet to find another razor with the build quality of this one or the Slim. I've used some other TTO adjustables on the market, but most of them seem to have closure problems or uneven blade exposure. They are getting better, but I think it would be too expensive to make an equivalent to the FatBoy.

* The TTO feature is great for those who don't want to fuss with handling blades, just drop it in and twist and lock it down.

* The adjustability allows the razor to accommodate practically any face, and use any blade. I've used a wide range of blades and I can usually find a setting that will work with a blade that I couldn't use with a fixed head razor.

* The knurling is definitive enough to provide a good grip. I hate razors with slick handles and don't know why anyone makes them.

* The larger size handle, not too oversize, makes it easy to hold and maneuver without being bulky, and I have fairly small hands. I think it also provides a good overall balance to the razor. I also like this one better than the long-handle adjustable Gillette; but it's close.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. I do use some other razors of course, but my ultimate go-to razor is still the FatBoy.
BobS

Life is too short not to use a sharp blade and a good brush.
celar36

Post by celar36 »

ATM Fatboy is only one I use:D . I really do like it but I want also to try the Feather safety razor.
Jack
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I never had a fatboy, but I do use a slim frequently. It's a great razor.

I almost never use it on anything other than 9 anymore though. I can't remember the last time I took it off of 9.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
brothers

Post by brothers »

Makes me wonder if there was a British version of the Fatboy offered for sale during the same period of time. Just a passing thought.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I've owned fatboys in the past, from when they were sold new actually, but I much prefer a long handle slim.
Regards,
Squire
Jonnieboy61

Post by Jonnieboy61 »

HD Rocket for me.......got a couple of these fine razors.
John
brothers

Post by brothers »

There was not a British version of the Fatboy. The answer was found in a Shave Den thread from 2009. All Gillette adjustables were made in USA. They were exported to England, case and all, with a different outer cardboard shipper. There was a Gillette adjustable razor (labeled Gillette G3000) sold in Germany/Europe, but it too was the Made in USA Fatboy razor.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
tonyespo
The Goldfather

Post by tonyespo »

For the past two years I have been using the Gillette Super Speed 1948 -50 series. I have 4 that are in excellent condition. I use one for a week and then clean and oil it and use a different one the following week. I clean them with scrubbing bubbles and an old electric tooth brush. Then I put a couple of drops of baby oil down the TTO handle. I only use Feather blades now and change the blade every week with the razor. After years of trying everything I have settled on the SS for my daily shaver.
Tony Espo ( Lover of Knize )
Go for the GOLD.

Through my will power I dare to do what I want.
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

Tony, good to see you again. :D :D
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
tonyespo
The Goldfather

Post by tonyespo »

Thanks Bruno. I stop in every now and then to catch up on the forum. This place will always have a top spot in my bookmarks.
Tony Espo ( Lover of Knize )
Go for the GOLD.

Through my will power I dare to do what I want.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Tony, I'll echo Bruno's sentiments. It's always a pleasure to see you here.

- Murray
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Hey Tony, any visit is welcome.
Regards,
Squire
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Love the slim for the long handle and balance, love the fatboy for the heft and weight.

Good thing I own one of both. :D
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

One of each? What a concept.
Regards,
Squire
alcx77

Post by alcx77 »

Variety to match the mood of the moment! 8)
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

CMur12 wrote:Tony, I'll echo Bruno's sentiments. It's always a pleasure to see you here.

- Murray
ditto to that

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
nteeman

Post by nteeman »

I have lots of razors including Slims and Fatboys and like everything I own. That said I find I keep coming back to my Weber DLC (long handle) as it gives me easiest close shave without irritation or cuts.
-Neal (DE user since 1998)
I shave therefore I am

jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Squire wrote:One of each? What a concept.
And a black-handled super-slim as well. I was quite the adjustable fan when I first moved to DE shaving a number of years back.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
brothers

Post by brothers »

I used a Schick Krona for so many decades I literally wore it out. They were cheap and good. In my case, it was the second razor I bought at the local drug store. My first was a new Slim. I bought it because my dad's Tech (the one with the triangular holes) was/is (I still have it) a bloody razor. Unfortunately, I had no clue how to use the adjustable (I was just a kid!) and cranked it up to 9 and the blood just kept coming, so I detoured to a Norelco electric for a while until I became a soldier and needed a simple shaving kit, so the Krona was my choice due to price. Everybody should have a Krona around just because!
Gary

rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

I have an inkling that after all this new experimenting with Jaggers and Techs, the Krona will be the one DE I keep. (That's what's happened before. Keep eyes posted on Selling & Trading.) A Schick Krona and a Schick injector make for a good tag-team.

*Wish I had the armor plating for a Cobra. Best of both worlds?
Ron