Lowest cost blades

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
jbc

Lowest cost blades

Post by jbc »

I have been doing the wet shaving for approximatly ten years now and I have shaved with just about everything out there with a blade on it and my beard seems to have a bone to pick with Gillette. As long as I stay away from gillette everything works great. So as you can understand if there is absolutely no quality difference between any of the blades I am interested in the lowest dime, or penny which ever the case may be. Where have you found the lowest prices?
JBC
Nuts about wet shaving
Janus

Post by Janus »

I like Astra SP's. The best price I've found here:

http://shop.bestshave.net/
Janus
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

JBC the best deals I've found is when a vendor closes out a brand such as when Phil at Bullgoose recently closed out the Rapira line and was selling the blue/white box at $10 per hundred (I ordered 1000) which was a very good deal. Other vendor deals will come up from time to time so it pays to watch and buy in bulk when the opportunity arises.

I am puzzled by your comment about Gillette not being compatible with your face. Did you mean any Gillette blade? I ask because my face cannot distinguish any brand of blade, only its sharpness.

Speaking of brands there are some out there that are cheap and deservedly so. Mediocre at best, I wouldn't buy them anymore than I would cheap toilet paper.
Regards,
Squire
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

recently closed out the Rapira line and was selling the blue/white box at $10 per hundred
paging merkur, paging merkur, come in merkur

:lol: :lol: :lol:

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
LouisIII

Post by LouisIII »

The least expensive blades I've seen are 'Laser' branded blades for £0.30/ 10 - they will make you re-think all blades being the same :)
~ Infusing the irreducibly quotidian with sensual pleasure ~
Jonnieboy61

Post by Jonnieboy61 »

LouisIII wrote:The least expensive blades I've seen are 'Laser' branded blades for £0.30/ 10 - they will make you re-think all blades being the same :)
I wouldn't go anywhere near them....there the pits IMO
John
dosco

Re: Lowest cost blades

Post by dosco »

jbc wrote:I have been doing the wet shaving for approximatly ten years now and I have shaved with just about everything out there with a blade on it and my beard seems to have a bone to pick with Gillette. As long as I stay away from gillette everything works great. So as you can understand if there is absolutely no quality difference between any of the blades I am interested in the lowest dime, or penny which ever the case may be. Where have you found the lowest prices?
Perhaps you should take up the use of Gillette Fusion (or similar Schick) cartridges in order to appreciate the relative cheap-ness of even the best DE blades.

I admit my frugal nature and must say that I am reveling in the glow of "cheap" DE blades (Derby, Gillette green, Feather, etc.) along with the quality shave they provide.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Hmmm -- since DE baldes are so much cheaper than cartridges, I never worried about it.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I'm informed Lazer makes more than one grade of blade but I've only used the common cheap ones which are so execrable as to be unusable.
Regards,
Squire
gman41

Post by gman41 »

They do, I bought the Plat's from Best Shave to try, they are O.K. but no Feather quality. It is a shame since the brand is established and has a full range of products like creams, A/S and a range of blades.
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, some of us don't have that problem."

Operator of www.shaveabuck.com
brothers

Post by brothers »

Check out Derby blades in the 500 pack from Shaving Factory, use the discount code BB, and with free shipping you pay .084 per blade.

Or, Treet Durasharp carbon blades from Connaught Shaving, including shipping to conus, 400 blades will cost you .079 per blade.

Those are my suggestions for cheap but very good blades.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

brothers wrote:Check out Derby blades in the 500 pack from Shaving Factory, use the discount code BB, and with free shipping you pay .084 per blade.

Or, Treet Durasharp carbon blades from Connaught Shaving, including shipping to conus, 400 blades will cost you .079 per blade.

Those are my suggestions for cheap but very good blades.
I especially like that second suggestion, Gary.

Buying in bulk is definitely the way to go as the best way to stock up and save money. This is also an outstanding value from a very highly reputable vendor in an excellent blade.

Note that Treet Dura Sharps are teflon-coated carbon-steel blades that are sharp and very smooth. They probably aren't quite as sharp as the various Procter & Gamble brands (Gillette, Astra, PermaSharp. etc), but I would consider them on the sharper side and very comfortable. They work very well for me with a coarse, but not very dense, beard and very sensitive skin.

- Murray
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

The Treet Dura Sharps work very well for me against my dense, fast growing whiskers.
Regards,
Squire
Steve-o

Post by Steve-o »

I know they're not everyone's favorite on this forum, but I like Dorco's ST-301, and I just picked up 400 of them for $36.99 and $.00 shipping (that's 9 cents US each), on That Famous Internet Auction Site. I'm happy...
“Time just seems to get quicker. You look in the mirror in the morning and you think, ‘I’m already shaving again!’” - Terry Jones of Monty Python's Flying Circus