Blades for Tech and EJ

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
rsp1202

Blades for Tech and EJ

Post by rsp1202 »

I've concentrated on injectors for so long, I'm out of the loop on DE match-up blades so would appreciate some feedback.

I just received a nice fat-handled USA Tech, circa '39-'41 with the triangular slots. I also have an EJ DE89L.

I have on hand some IP/Crystals, Gillette Yellows, Red Personnas, Astra Platinums, Treet Dura Sharps and NOS Schick Plus Platinums. Recommendations?

Thanks in advance.
Ron
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

If it's as mild as a '40s Tech I suggest the very sharpest of those blades. I know the Yellows and Shicks would be in that catagory, I don't know about any of the others.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Ron, the Dura Sharps have probably been my favorite blades in every razor I have used, including a late '40s Tech, iKon Bulldog with safety bars (also very mild), Edwin Jagger, and Weber.

The early Techs with triangular slots are reputed to be more aggressive than the later Techs. I have a couple of them and tried one once or twice, but I don't have enough experience with it to speak to that specific razor.

My general rule of thumb is to choose the razor for the skin and the blade for the beard. I have very sensitive skin, so I go with milder razors, and I have a coarse (but not very dense) beard, so I like sharper blades. I also like Personna Prep ("For Hospital Use") blades and Perma-Sharps.

My experience is different from that of many other shavers in that my favorite blades tend to be my favorites in every razor I pair them with.

- Murray
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Treets then Yellows; mild to wild. That should provide the lay of the land. Thanks, guys.

I knew I forgot something: the Personna Prep. Will have to get some.
Ron
Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

Ron,
Since this Tech is undoubtedly the one, or similar to the one, you are sending for my son, what blades did you like? I have a Tech with the triangular slots and really get good results with Feathers for a close shave. Really sharp blades. But I don't think I want a newbie to try the sharpest.
Best,
Roger
Roger

I've been a wet shaver for 56 years! 8)
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Same Tech, Roger. I'm sending along some blades for him to try -- Derbys, Red Personnas, Astra Platinums -- none as "severe" as a Feather. Otherwise, the Treet Dura Sharps were nice all-arounders; the Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellows a bit sharper.
Ron
Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

Thank you, sir.
Roger

I've been a wet shaver for 56 years! 8)
preidy

Re: Blades for Tech and EJ

Post by preidy »

I just used for the first time a Gillette Platium this morning in my Ball End Tech. Smooth and one nice BBS. I tend to have success with sharp blades in this razor.
With a good sharp blade (use Rapira, Med Prep) the Tech gives me as good of shaves as my Super Speed, Slim and Red Tip.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Good first post. Welcome to SMF, preidy!

- Murray
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Yes, welcome aboard.
Regards,
Squire