Replates received today

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
ShadowsDad

Replates received today

Post by ShadowsDad »

I sent these out, well, I don't know when, but it took some time, mostly postal time since they went to the UK.

The Kampfe was in sad shape. There was quite a bit of corrosion, and I was concerned that nothing could be done to address it. The Everready was only missing plating and before it got too bad I decided to address the issue.

Dave Glynn of www.restoredrazors.com did the work, and frankly he cares. He's new to the business, but the handle of the EverReady wasn't quite right so he restripped it and plated it again to make it right.

Some before photos.

And the final.

There is one small spot of corrosion that he couldn't handle on the Kampfe. But it's very tiny. I'll keep an eye on it.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

From ugly ducklings to beautiful swans! Very nice!

Regards,
David
Regards,
David
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Dead gawgeous!
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
brothers

Post by brothers »

It sure makes a difference, doesn't it! Looks like a very worthwhile project, considering the finished product, after all these years.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Well, I'm a real tightwad when it comes to bidding on e-bay for a razor that doesn't need work. I just won't get drawn into a bidding war. But what I don't get about me is that I don't mind spending $ to take an ugly duckling and make it shine.

Oh well, I am what I am. I guess I'd rather resurrect old razors for another 100 years of use than have an immaculate razor that hasn't been used.

I have another 2 DE razors that are worth even less than the lather catchers were worth that I'll probably replate when funds allow. (one of them is definite, I assume the other from what I've read of it) It makes no economic sense whatsoever, and they'll never be anything more than Frankenrazors. But it's the shave head that interests me, as long as the handle is somewhat reasonable and balanced for the head.

I'm either insane or I love bringing old razors back to "new user" condition for this old farts use. As I wrote, it makes no economic sense.
Brian

Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
celar36

Post by celar36 »

Thinking to give it to him my Tech fat handle but It might be cheaper to buy it new one. But as you sai this one have history behind it and just feel right to give him second life. I will think:) Thanks for a review of page and quality service!
Jack
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Yes, Dave is a real gentleman.

I packed the stropping handle in such a way that he never even knew it was there. My fault entirely IMO. I should have told him to look for it there. Anyway, it was discarded. I told him to forget it since I blame myself.

To make a long story short, he took care of it even though I told him not to.
Brian

churchilllafemme

Post by churchilllafemme »

Those razors really look great, Brian. And I empathize with your tendency to get the old frazzled equipment and resuscitate it.
_______
John
IAmTheJody

Post by IAmTheJody »

I had to look again at the date of this thread because you said he's new to the business. He's been replating for a couple of years that I know of. And was one of the first replaters ever recommended to me at another forum. He does excellent work and pays attention to detail. I personally use Reliable Electroplating but that's because they are here and the postage is cheaper from Mississippi to Massachusetts than it is from Mississippi to the UK. But if Reliable didn't do a good job, the only other person I'd trust is Dave.
-Jody (the male version)
-My personal web site featuring photo galleries of my razor collection is here.
-My Shave Cave? It's here.
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

My understanding was that he was new.

I stand corrected.
Brian

RocketMan

Post by RocketMan »

Those are great looking replates Shadowsdad - enjoy!!
When life isn't looking too bright - polish the dull side!!!