The razors you like/use the most?

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
brothers

Re: The razors you like/use the most?

Post by brothers »

Rufust445, you have a PM.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I've gone back to using my Jagger Chatsworth daily. This beautifully balanced instrument is still one of my favorites.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Squire wrote:I've gone back to using my Jagger Chatsworth daily. This beautifully balanced instrument is still one of my favorites.
I think maybe I should install the Mongoose head on the Chatsworth handle and see what happens. Might be interesting. The design of the Chatworth is a thing of beauty.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
BlakeOrlando

Post by BlakeOrlando »

I'm currently using a Merkur 34C which I really enjoy. Don't get me wrong, but I have been wanting to treat myself recently to upgrading to something a little fancier. I was looking at reviews of the best safety razors by price range here:http://www.primandprep.com/best-safety-razors/. I'm looking at the Feather All Stainless Steel and the Merkur Futur. I think the Feather looks a whole lot sexier and I love Feather blades but the Futur does get a lot of good reviews. I don't know if these razors will really give my that much better of a shaving experience in reality, especially for the price, but maybe it will be more of a placebo thing, which is fine with me. :D
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

BlakeOrlando, welcome to SMF!

The Feather AS-D2 (the current "All Stainless" model) would be a milder razor than your current Merkur. (The previous AS-D1 is even milder.) If that is what you are looking for, you might consider it. If you want a razor that shaves as close or closer than your current Merkur, the Futur would be the better choice between the two razors you propose. Note that there are a lot of other good options out there, as well. (I'm especially partial to the Merkur Progress in customized "Mergress" form.)

- Murray
JimJack

Post by JimJack »

Merkur 12C
Merkur 38C
Merkur 39C
Merkur Progress XL
brothers

Post by brothers »

Update as of Wednesday September 9, 2015

Gillette Super Adjustable short handle
Gillette Red Tip Super Speed
Darwin Deluxe stainless
Mongoose Chatsworth
Plus, there are about a dozen straight razors that I use as often as possible.
Gary

Missoni

Post by Missoni »

Weber PH
Progress
Gibbs No. 17

I use the Muhle R89 for travel; with the Olaf Rasmussen SP, R41 and 37c making peridoic guest appearances.
brothers

Post by brothers »

This is an update to my last contribution about 2.5 years ago:

The General by Colonial Razors is the only one I've used regularly for over a year. I'll just leave it at one. :D
Gary

CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

At this point, I am using two DE razors:

Rockwell 6C on plate 2
Mergress at lowest setting

These razors are both mild and effective.

- Murray
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I probably replied to this quite some time ago. But I won't go back to read what I wrote.

At that time I was probably using my Muhle R41 and early Gillettes for DE razors. But the majority of my shaves were with SE razors. Today I can't remember the last time I had a DE shave. That because of the characteristics of the thin DE blade. The razor I use most frequently is the EverReady '21 "Shovelhead" if my hand is left to it's own devices. I force myself to use a different SE razor when I start a new blade. But I definitely favor the GEM Clog Pruf, MMOC, and Shovelhead.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
desafetyrazor

Post by desafetyrazor »

I've owned Edwin Jagger DE89, Merkur 34C & 25C, One Blade (Weishi?) butterfly and Phoenix Bakelite and they have all been traded/sold after I discovered the Merkur 37C. It is all I use now.