The razors you like/use the most?

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
The_Metatron

Post by The_Metatron »

Good evening, gents.

I have two razors in use, and one in the travel bag. In use are a Feather AS and a Pils 101NE. I switch off between them from week to week. In the travel kit is a Fat Boy razor.

Of the two steel beauties, the Feather is the gentler. The Pils tends to get closer, I think.
"The secret of steel has always carried with it a mystery. You must learn its riddle. You must learn its discipline. For no one - no one in this world can you trust. Not men, not women, not beasts... This you can trust."
brothers

Post by brothers »

Metratron, those are three of the best, as you probably already know! Use them in good health, and welcome (back) to the SMF!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
The_Metatron

Post by The_Metatron »

I already have a Feather AS for each of my boys (5 and 9 years old), along with a blue handled Lady Gillette for each of their kits for when their girls stay over.
"The secret of steel has always carried with it a mystery. You must learn its riddle. You must learn its discipline. For no one - no one in this world can you trust. Not men, not women, not beasts... This you can trust."
river1

Re:

Post by river1 »

The_Metatron wrote:I already have a Feather AS for each of my boys (5 and 9 years old), along with a blue handled Lady Gillette for each of their kits for when their girls stay over.
Great selection of razors and if you want to add an option for everyone including the girls, try a Paul Revere injector. My wife and daughter grabbed mine and that is all that they use now. They say that it gives a closer shave that last much longer and is not as aggressive as the Lady Gillette. The biggest problem is finding the Paul Revere's. Doug
Nothing will be accomplished if first all objections must be overcome...
kingfisher

Re:

Post by kingfisher »

kingfisher wrote:I use a Stahly live blade head on an EJ DE89 head almost every day now.

Second favorite razor is a FaTip on a Tradere handle.

Third favorite is a pristine Fatboy.

None of my other razors gets any attention anymore. I'm thinking about a sell-off.
OK, so things have changed since my first answer. I still have the Stahly head, but I don't use it much. I never use the EJ handle anymore, now that I have two Tradere handles and one custom UFO. The FaTip has been essentially retired. I still like the Fatboy, though.

So, here's the new list:

1) Tradere SB, second generation, either on its own handle, or (more frequently) on my custom UFO. I use this razor about 80% of the time.
2) Pre-war Tech on the Tradere handle. I use this razor about 15% of the time.
3) Fatboy. I use this razor about 5% of the time.

Remember when I threatened a sell-off? I actually went through with it. Sold about 25 razors.
"If we had steak, we could have steak and eggs, if we had some eggs."
yohannrjm

Re: The razors you like/use the most?

Post by yohannrjm »

My preferences for a daily user keep changing, but for the moment:

1) Feather Portable with a heavier handle - nicely aggressive, and wonderful paired with a Feather blade.
2) Gem Clog-Pruf with Ted Pella SE blade.
"The road goes on forever, and the party never ends."
The Highwaymen
brothers

Post by brothers »

As with most others, my stuff changes. Here's my most recent:

Muhle R41 '13 Grande
any straight razor
Trac II
Cobra Classic
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
stanthony

Post by stanthony »

1 Feather asd1/ikon 2013 oc baseplate 1 shim
2 merkur37c
3 Feather asd1
4 edwin jagger de89 barley
5 1950's british gillette tech
6 1940's gillette superspeed
I like all these razors but could make do with numbers 1 and 2 if I had to.
TommyDawg

Post by TommyDawg »

If pressed to list my faves, I'd say my undated aristocrat, ball tech and toggle. I like plenty others, but these are my most faithful...
Tom
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

When I last replied, in May 2012, I was still looking for a razor that was gentle to my skin but gave me a good shave, and I still hadn't found it.

Well, after railing at Merkur fixed-head razors for the last however many years, I have found what I was looking for in a Mergress at the lowest setting. (A Merkur Progress would work just as well.) This setup is mild without behaving like a razor with a really narrow blade gap, making it easier to get a close shave.

Then again, I have a bunch of razors that I bought early on that I have never tried, like different Gillette Adjustables, and I want to put more effort into Schick Injectors, as well.

- Murray
smoothshaver

Post by smoothshaver »

Edwin Jagger DE89L
Notched bar Gillette Aristocrat, circa 1948.
-Ed
vtmax

Post by vtmax »

Feather AS-D2 ( for weekday shaving)
Cobra Classic for some weekend growth

Max
brothers

Post by brothers »

I have to admit, it seems that my favorite razor seems to be the one I used yesterday, or the one I'm getting ready to use tomorrow. Funny how it always works out that way, isn't it.
Gary

mineisanotherone

Post by mineisanotherone »

Over the last few weeks my tastes have changed:

Now a few news one's iKon "Shave Craft" Slant

Ikon "ShaveCraft" 101 Dual SB/OC

So now:

Pils 101NE
Feather AS-D2 & D1
iKon OSS
Merkur "Mergrees" XL
Joris OC
Cobra Classic (1st gen)
Merkur "Futur"
Merkur "Vision"

Charles U.K
Nec Timere Nec Timide.
Shaving Mantra: Neither rashly nor Timidly.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

mineisanotherone wrote:Over the last few weeks my tastes have changed:

Now a few news one's iKon "Shave Craft" Slant

Ikon "ShaveCraft" 101 Dual SB/OC

So now:

Pils 101NE
Feather AS-D2 & D1
iKon OSS
Merkur "Mergrees" XL
Joris OC
Cobra Classic (1st gen)
Merkur "Futur"
Merkur "Vision"

Charles U.K
Charles, what difference do you experience between the Feather AS-D1 and D2?

- Murray
gagarin

Re:

Post by gagarin »

gagarin wrote:Of over 100 razors in my arsenal, I'm down to two which get regular use:

iKon OC Deluxe LE Bulldog #07 - My favorite, it is smooth and efficient. Greg hit a home run with this one.

English Long-Comb NEW with Weber Bulldog or BRW all-bronze fluted handle - in my opinion, the finest shaver ever produced by Gillette.

While I enjoy several others, I use these almost exclusively.

Regards,
Update - A year later, these favorites have now been joined by two others:

iKon 2013 OC Bulldog - Very similar to the 2010 version, maybe a bit more aggressive.

Tradere First Gen OC #09 - A beautiful razor which delivers a smooth, close shave. The most aggressive of my four favorites.
Chuck

“Hundido en horizontes
soy polvareda que al viento va.
Zamba, ya no me dejes,
yo sin tu canto no vivo más…….”
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I've been using a Krona for a year or two now and believe I'll stick with that for the time being.
Regards,
Squire
tom myers

Post by tom myers »

I collect safety razors so, I've had the opportunity to try MANY different makes and models. I thought I had settled on a couple of DE models until I tried the older SE's. Once I started testing razors of this type, I settled on the Gem Junior Bar razor loaded with a Gem stainless steel PTFE coated blade as my everyday razor. I've used it almost exclusively for three or four years.

If I couldn't have the bar razor, the Gem 1912 patent would be my second choice. If I were to go back and choose among the double edge razors, my favorites would be the Barbasol razor with the Gillette red tip SuperSpeed in second place. Before I started collecting these things and trying the various models, I used a Schick Injector with the "Hydro-Magic" rinsing lever for many years. It too has some things to be said in its favor, but it would be well down on my list of favorites.

In case anyone wonders; yes, I also have tried all the other various types of safety razors such as band razors, disposable razors and many types of cartridge razors. In my opinion, none of these types are worth considering.

Regards,
Tom
mike

Post by mike »

I have used a Fatboy for daily home use for the past 4 years.
Mike

~ Beati Pacifici~
brothers

Post by brothers »

When we find the right razor we should stick with it. I wore out a schick krona a few years ago, right before I found SMF. I bought it new.
Gary