Kai Captain Titan Mild "Pink" blades

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
brothers

Kai Captain Titan Mild "Pink" blades

Post by brothers »

Kai's website has some good information for those of us who are getting acquainted with the Kai blades in the Cobra Classic. Here's what they say about this blade:

"The Captain Titan Mild is a new razor blade with Kai's latest blade technology. "Plasma Ion New process by Kai", or PINK which significantly increases hardness of the blade and new titanium coating enable extraordinary cutting edge durability and skin-friendly sharpness. The blade is finished with PTFE coating for kindness to skin as well as super-smoothness of shaving. Thanks to the special dispense system, the blades can be safe and quickly inserted in the razor holder. The Captain Tital Mild can be also used for hair designing."

If you've had a chance to look at the edge of one of these blades, you can see a strip of color just above the edge. That is probably the titanium coating that is just beneath the PTFE coating.

Kai also offers these blades with a guard, if that is the preference of the user. Kai also lists their basic shaving blades, called the Captain Sharp Blade, and the Captain Blade. These are evidently free of any special coatings.

I've used the Kai Pink, and can attest to the fact that it shaves quite smoothly from the first shave. Smoother, in my experience, than the Feather Pro blade.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

Do they make them for double edge or injector razors?
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Gary, can you give a link where they can be found?
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
brothers

Post by brothers »

Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
brothers

Post by brothers »

Pauldog wrote:Do they make them for double edge or injector razors?
I see that they make disposables and multiblade cartridges with the PINK technology, and they make regular razor blades, and (I think) injectors in carbon and stainless versions, but apparently not with the PINK feature. The regular double/single edge blades will be found in the industrial tab. Cobra blades are under the Beauty and professional tab, and the cartridges are under razors.

http://kai-ind.co.jp/en/products/grooming/top.html
Gary

GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Thanks Gary!
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
vpayne

Post by vpayne »

GARY,
I JUST SHAVED WITH THIS BLADE 3 HOURS AGO AND GOT ONE OF MY BEST SHAVES WITH THE LEAST EFFORT I'VE EXPERIENCED B4. I SHAVED WITH THE COBRA CLASSIC ON TOUR OFFERED BY CLASSIC SHAVING. I USUALLY SHAVE WITH A MERGRESS OR SLANT. I'M PRETTY IMPRESSED, BUT I'VE ONLY SHAVED WITH IT ONCE-SO FAR.

VIC

ps: if you run across someone wanting to sell a cobra classic at a (cheap) price, send them my way. Their price is rediculious…thnx.
SAID JULIET TO ROMEO, IF YOU WON'T SHAVE, GO HOMEO.
brothers

Post by brothers »

vpayne wrote:GARY,
I JUST SHAVED WITH THIS BLADE 3 HOURS AGO AND GOT ONE OF MY BEST SHAVES WITH THE LEAST EFFORT I'VE EXPERIENCED B4. I SHAVED WITH THE COBRA CLASSIC ON TOUR OFFERED BY CLASSIC SHAVING. I USUALLY SHAVE WITH A MERGRESS OR SLANT. I'M PRETTY IMPRESSED, BUT I'VE ONLY SHAVED WITH IT ONCE-SO FAR.

VIC

ps: if you run across someone wanting to sell a cobra classic at a (cheap) price, send them my way. Their price is rediculious…thnx.
Vic, the price is not cheap, but not out of line with other new razors, Feather Stainless and IKON, for example, and there are others. And, If there is anyone out there wanting to sell a Cobra, I hope they'll send me a PM, because I'm willing to pay a fair price for a backup razor in case something happens to mine (one never knows!). :lol:
Gary

Tucker

Guard or no guard

Post by Tucker »

Brothers, do you get these with or without the guard?
brothers

Re: Kai Captain Titan Mild "Pink" blades

Post by brothers »

Bringing up an old post of mine, I've been using a Kai Captain blade in The General razor for the past 16 shaves with little or no serious deterioration. It was very sharp at the beginning, but after about 2 or 3 break-in shaves, it just began to shine. I'm rotating the Kai and the Feather Pro blades. I'm not trying to set any world records, so at the first hint of deterioration, I'll dump it. Credit for this longevity should be shared equally with the General razor. I suspect the Feather Pro will do equally well when it gets a chance.
Gary

Tucker

Post by Tucker »

Good update Gary. I am glad you like the General. I tried the Kai Mild Pink blades in the General, and they were certainly adequate. However, I preferred the Feather Professionals in the General. I only use a SE Blade six times flipping it after three uses. However, I thought the Kais did shine in the Razorock Hawk. I would be gun shy to try Feather Pros in the Hawk, as I consider it a touch more aggressive, but nothing compared to the Ikon El Jefe!
brothers

Re: Guard or no guard

Post by brothers »

Tucker wrote:Brothers, do you get these with or without the guard?
Without the guard. Not necessary with the General. I just loaded a new Kai into it today, and the result was luxury.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

The Kai lasted through 16 great shaves, and today I rotated back to the Feather Pro. It seems the General brings out the best in both of these brands of blades.
Gary

Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

I used a Pink Titan mild today in the Hawk. Great shave. I have a Feather to compare it to. But I am pleased. I think I will get either the Hawk or the Maggards DE razor
brothers

Post by brothers »

These are some good blades. I'm glad there seems to be a new Cobra-inspired family of SE razors that use these blades.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

As time goes by it seems that the Kai and the Feather provide excellent results in the General razor, but the Feather AC Pro blade - in contrast to the Feather DE - provides somewhere between 15 to 20 very good shaves, while the Kai seems to hit the wall around 14 to 16 very good shaves before it gets replaced.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

The current Kai Captain in the General razor has lasted thirty (30) shaves. This was a lot more than I had expected.
Gary

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Wow....sounds like a miracle blade :D

Way back when i got into the habit of just exchanging once a week.....i wouldnt ever imagine a blade lasting that long...kudo's to kai

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

+1
Regards,
David
brothers

Post by brothers »

Every day I expected it to get all draggy and pulling and failing to cut whiskers very good, but it just leveled out and held the edge. I finally decided it was deteriorating at a slow but deliberate rate.
Gary