Adjusting a Gillette Slim Razor

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Tucker

Adjusting a Gillette Slim Razor

Post by Tucker »

Hello, my question is does it hurt the mechanism to adjust a Gillette Slim Adjustable 1-9 while the razor has a blade in it and the TTO mechanism is closed?
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I've heard it does; Fatboy too. I never want to find out. They don't make them anymore.

I always adjust it when the TTO is slightly loose.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
brothers

Post by brothers »

I agree. It doesn't make any difference if the blade's in, but yes, it does make a difference if you don't loosen up the mechanism. Why put your razor under the additional and unnecessary stress?
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
LookingGlass

Post by LookingGlass »

ShadowsDad wrote:I've heard it does; Fatboy too. I never want to find out. They don't make them anymore.

I think some folks believe this is an old wives' tale, but I always loosen the TTO a little. Again, why stress the razor, and as a previous post stated, they don't make them anymore. Nurse these guys along. :mrgreen:

Take care,
Ed
Short Round

Post by Short Round »

LookingGlass wrote:
ShadowsDad wrote:I've heard it does; Fatboy too. I never want to find out. They don't make them anymore.

I think some folks believe this is an old wives' tale, but I always loosen the TTO a little. Again, why stress the razor, and as a previous post stated, they don't make them anymore. Nurse these guys along. :mrgreen:

Take care,
Ed
yep, I didn't when I first got my slim adjustable but now I do back it off before turning the ring.
Tom
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I keep mine set at 3 so no need to adjust - but I did go through the desire to be tactile with my razor and adjust settings during shaves, between shaves, etc. Like others, I first simply adjusted on the fly with the blade loaded fully, then caught on to the notion of backing off the TTO mechanism when I adjusted. Of course now that is all moot as I don't typically change the setting any longer. ymmv. :D
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
DreadPirate

Post by DreadPirate »

You MUST open the doors before adjusting on both the fatboy and slim; always; no exception.