Help! Looking for tricks to cleanly rinse a Merkur Futur

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
sean mac

Help! Looking for tricks to cleanly rinse a Merkur Futur

Post by sean mac »

Hi all.

This seems like such a stupid question. I have a Merkur Futur razor, which I love. All of a sudden, it seems that I am having trouble rinsing it clean.

I try to clean the razor by swishing it around in a sink full of water. I also have tried to rinse it by running water across the blade as it has been turned sideways. I have even tried to run water in through the openings on the back of the razor. Sometimes this works, sometimes not. The problem is that I am getting a buildup of whiskers and shave cream around the blade. Please, somebody else tell me you sometimes also have this problem.

I have been using a variety of shave creams - T & H, eshave, Trumpers. By far the biggest problem has been with the eshave cream. Might it simply be that eshave is a bit stickier than others?
AceHarddrive

Post by AceHarddrive »

I've been using a Gillette nonadjustable for the past couple of weeks, but I did seem to get a slight build-up, so I just opened up the "silo doors" just enough to let water rinse through. I also swished it in the hot water from my hot pot. When I was using a M3 (before I got into DE's and straights), I would have an old toothbrush ready to scrub the crap out from between the blades. One thing that did help me was instead of just swishing the razor back and forth in the water, I'd "spin" it like a top with my fingers held around the handle. Give that a try! Let us know what happens!

~Tim :wink:

The wolf
Is shaved
So neat and trim
Red Riding Hood
Is chasing him
Burma-Shave
jvan
Mr. Vintage Himself

Post by jvan »

I have an adjustable Gillette and do the same thing that Tim does as far as slightly opening the silo doors so as to free the blade a bit, rinse it good, and blow on it to dry it and I have no problems at all with dirt or build-up.

John
John V
"What one relishes, nourishes"

Benjamin Franklin