1970 Gillette Black Handle SS TTO

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
dosco

1970 Gillette Black Handle SS TTO

Post by dosco »

A few months ago I excitedly procured a 1970s-era Gillette Black Handle SS TTO. I was interested in trying it out after starting on a Lord 3-piece safety razor.

With the understanding that YMMV, I don't like it. My primary complaint is that for some reason it appears I cannot get the correct blade angle (I recently bought another Lord from "gunky" (on this forum) and confirmed my enjoyment of the Lord 3-piece).

I also don't like how the edge of the blade hangs out of the head of the razor ... the sharp corners on the blade often catch my skin and are uncomfortable/painful.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

I plan to clean it up a bit (it's in fair shape) and PIF/trade/sell it.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Hmmm -- I would say that mine is one of the mildest razors I have - and was by far and away my easiest shaver when I started out ---- yes even easier than a Tech or Superspeed. I never really noticed the corner of the blade sticking out as you describe. I'll have a look-see when I get home later today or tomorrow.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
dosco

Post by dosco »

The blade is wider than the head of the razor, so on either side the blade protrudes from the head. The corner of the blade is sharp (strange but true) and hurts like an SOB when dragged across one's cheek.

Another thing to consider is that it is possible that my face simply "likes" the mildest of razors (my assumption is that the Lord is rather mild). Dunno. Am going to have to continuing my "research" (lol).
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

dosco what you're describing is correct, the blade does extend out slightly, as it also does with a Futur, Chatsworth, Aristocrat, Krona and I believe all other DE's, those are just the ones I checked after reading your post.

The corners of DE blades are somewhat rounded off but they are exposed. I suspect your difficulty may lie with the weight, balance and head geometry of the difference razors.

The Lord is a Tech copy with a longer handle and made of lighter metal. The fixed head will be thinner than any tto model and the longer handle will shave with a slightly different angle/feel than most tto's, or it least it does for me.

I suppose we all could get used to any razor if we had to but since we don't we may as well use our favorite.
Regards,
Squire
dosco

Post by dosco »

Squire wrote:The corners of DE blades are somewhat rounded off but they are exposed.
Indeed. The corners aren't "razor sharp" (lol) but the corners are sharp enough to be uncomfortable. In a metal shop they would be ground or filed off (unless the drawing said otherwise). To be honest I am a bit surprised they are sharp considering their intended use.
I suspect your difficulty may lie with the weight, balance and head geometry of the difference razors.
Generally I concur. I think it is the geometry ... the TTO head is too "thick."
I suppose we all could get used to any razor if we had to but since we don't we may as well use our favorite.
I concur!
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

After looking at my razors, I have the drawn the same conclusions at Squire.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

If you're not turned off by vintage try a Gillette Old or New. They are slightly aggressive (just a touch) and have the thin head you like. I use them, but for me they are still fairly mild.

They still have the protruding blade though. The answer is to not scrape it against skin. Bet you didn't know that. :wink:

There are razors that have that protruding blade edge covered. The Ikon is one, I doubt it's the only one.

Edit: One last thing to try if you're open to it. I found that the very sharpest blades work best in the mild Gillettes. Med Preps, Gillette 7 O'Clocks from St. Petersburg (any color), Kai, Feather all make it work great. As do most vintage SS blades.
Last edited by ShadowsDad on Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
haiti222

Post by haiti222 »

You might want to try that often under-appreciated Gillette Blue Tip....