Newbie not so new anymore, which razor next?

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
clark

Newbie not so new anymore, which razor next?

Post by clark »

My shaving history is as follows:

~2005 - Started Shaving
- Gillette Fusion/Bic disposables
- Canned aerosol cream
- resulted in horrible razor burn/poor results

Late 2007 - Wet Shaving
- Art of Shaving Fragrance free shaving set
- shaving became bearable

Early 2008 - DE Shaving
- Merkur 34c HD (as recommended here)
- shaving became enjoyable! Yay!

Anyways, I've been using the Merkur for a few years now with various blades and creams/soaps. I am ready to start exploring different options/styles of razors. Where would you guys recommend I head from here? Something vintage? Twist to open? More aggressive? Adjustable? Anyone have something they want to sell me? Any input will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Clark
Clark
Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

Clark,

Thanks for sharing your story!

I am pretty much a vintage Gillette man, but I have one Merkur: A 37C, aka the "Slant." Love it, too. The Slant is more aggressive than your HD, and the cost can be around $50.00 with shipping. If you want something milder, then look for a late 40's or most any 50's Super-Speed, or some of the older Gillette Techs. A nice adjustable is certainly worth a try as well. I'd look here first because ebay can be, well, ebay...

Best,

Roger
Roger

I've been a wet shaver for 56 years! 8)
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

might be time to add a merkur FUTUR

marc
Rambler

Post by Rambler »

Hi Clark,

You'll end up with plenty of suggestions. No harm in trying out the ones that interest you. It was part of the fun for me. Some worked while some didn't. Some you just like just because. I have kept my original HD to use while traveling. Not my favorite razor, but it's what I learned on. I'll always keep that one around. I only am down to using one razor daily. That's a Muhle R89. It works best for me when shaving daily. I keep that in a Muhle tin case that's equally as cool looking as that razor.
--Greg
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Well, if you haven't tried a vintage Gillette you can do a lot worse than finding a Slim or Super adjustable. A used one is reasonably priced. NOS razors can be found with appropriate price tags. If you get a used one we'll talk you through cleaning sanitizing it. It's no big deal.

Or you could try a single edge razor. Good noob (to SE) razors would be a GEM Featherweight or Heavy Flat top (G-Bar), or a GEM Damaskeene.

Just do a search for those SE razors in this forum for more info.

The best place to buy them is to hang a shingle up in the sell/trade forum.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
clark

Post by clark »

Thanks for the replies :)

Im not really concerned with looks/age, im looking more for the function over form although I think a gold razor would be nifty. I would be willing to spend upwards of $50, but ~$20 would be better. :D
would you recommend any of the ones that Pioneer is selling? :
Pioneer wrote:Pioneer’s summer clearance – frags & blades & a colonel! Please use the pm function to make offers:

offers taken in order I receive them. Thanks. (CONUS only please)

The following razors are all fairly clean but could used a higher polish/more detailing; yet, they are all in functional, working condition. From L-R in the first row (couple different views follow)

1965 SS K-1, operates well, $22 shipped
Gem , shiny! $18 shipped
1966 SS L-3, operates well, $22 shipped

Back row:
Gillette Knack, K-1, shiny! $18 shipped
Gillette 195, code F-4, operates well but could use a nice detail, $36 shipped GONE!
1917 Gillette SR, code E38340, strange veneer on head but rest great shape, $30 shipped
On the side, a 1972 Gillette Traveler, S-1, might be NOS (has plastic ring on back), $12 shipped

Clark
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

My recommendation is definitely a vintage Gillette. Either a SuperSpeed, or Tech perhaps? What am I saying -- get one or more of each!
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
alcx77

Post by alcx77 »

The open comb appears tempting :lol:
Gweezemeister

Post by Gweezemeister »

If open comb is your thing I would suggest a Fatip off of EBay. They (the Picccolo and Grande) can be had quite economically.
Andy
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Clark here's a list of those I use regularly;

1) Merkur Futur
2) Jagger Chatsworth
3) Gillette Super long handle adjustable
4) Schick Krona

These are very different razors in design and weight but they all work for me. They all feel balanced in my hand and I think that's the common ground.

I do have a mint Merkur Barberpole with the blue handle for sale so pm me if you're interested.
Regards,
Squire
Dale

Post by Dale »

A Futur and a Jagger Chatsworth.
Regards,
Dale
BeatlesFan

Post by BeatlesFan »

Clark, since you specifically mentioned an interest in acquiring a gold razor, I would recommend a Gillette Aristocrat. I have several and I'm a daily Aristocrat shaver.

Very solid, a bit heftier than a superspeed and also a touch more aggressive . . . Not a lot more and certainly oess so than your Merkur. A terrific shaver.

Great look, feel, and shave. A timeless classic!
DreadPirate

Post by DreadPirate »

Here are my recommended must try DE's;

1. Any Merkur slant
2. Merkur 1904 open comb
3. Gillette Slim or fatbot
4. Gillette red tip
5. Gillette New long comb
6. Gillette Old type.
Last edited by DreadPirate on Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Merkur HD
Krona by Schick
Gillette Aristocrat, any year
Gillette NEW
Gillette NEW Standard
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444