Razors like the Tech's

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

TJ, the Goodfella is an open-comb/blade-on-comb razor, that feels different from a razor with blade gap and safety bars such as the Tech. It is more aggressive than the Tech.

The EJ/Muhle is the closest in a reasonably price new razor. It is a smooth shaver and some consider it mild, but it is definitely more aggressive than a Tech. The Weber is more aggressive than the EJ/Muhle.

I'm of the impression that Gillette NEW razors from the 1930s (open comb with blade gap - not blade-on-comb like the older Gillettes) must have varied considerably from one razor to the next. Some find this razor mild, but I found it exceedingly aggressive - enough so that I never got through an entire shave with one and I gave mine away.

- Murray
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I agree, if you don't like a SS because it's too aggressive you're not going to like a Gillette OLD, NEW, or Single Ring. So they're out. I mothballed all of my SSs and milder razors and kept my more aggressive OLDs, NEWs, and Single Ring as the mildest yet still aggressive enough DE fixed heads to get the job done.

But you're still a relatively new shaver. I'd keep the RAD on hold and find out what you like in a few months. Tastes and abilities change. That's why I suggested an adjustable. It can grow as you grow.

You can also take your existing SS and put a less sharp blade in it. Or to make a Tech better, put an ultra sharp blade in it.

FWIW, the very same Slim adjustable I used to grow with when I was a noob I still use on it's highest setting, magical "9".
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
brothers

Post by brothers »

ShadowsDad wrote: . . . you're still a relatively new shaver. I'd keep the RAD on hold and find out what you like in a few months. Tastes and abilities change. That's why I suggested an adjustable. It can grow as you grow.
Yes, this is great advice. There are a lot of razors out there. Merkur makes new razors in a variety of designs. Comb the archives here at SMF for discussions on as many of those as you can. Many guys eventually end up with a Merkur Slant, Progress, or Futur as their go-to razors. Progress and Futur are both adjustables too, which gives you the ability to fine tune the settings to your liking.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
FireTJ

Post by FireTJ »

Alright well I have noticed that if I use a sharp blade with my tech, i get a great shave. Sharp with the SS or krona isnt as great but worse with a more dull blade. I have tried many blades in the ss and krona but they still dont give a shave like the tech does. Idk if its the razors head on the tech or what but i know i like the skinniness of the tech head and i can maneuver it nicely on my face and neck compared to the SS and Krona.
brothers

Post by brothers »

It sounds like at this early stage of the game, you are finding that the 2 or 3 piece non TTO (Twist to Open) razors are more to your liking. You might eventually work your way around to the offerings from Merkur, Muhle, or Jagger in this respect. The shaving forums are loaded with examples of those razors being offered for sale. At this point, the world is your oyster, so to speak, with regard to the variety availiable for you to enjoy as you go along. If you end up with one you didn't care for, you can easily sell it to someone else.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

brothers wrote:The Stahly head is an example of a very well designed head. They shave very well indeed, and I agree with the advice to find one if you can. The standard thread will permit you to use it with virtually any modern production handle you might have.
Add another vote for the Stahly, although I don't think it's much like a Tech at all. It is far superior to a Tech, in my opinion. Feels gentle and smooth, but stubble removal is superior to a Tech. More like a DE89, but smoother.

I have mine on a DE89 handle and it's my current favorite razor.
"If we had steak, we could have steak and eggs, if we had some eggs."
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

FireTJ, when you want to try a slightly more aggressive razor add a shim to the Tech. You can even go 2 shims. I prefer 2.

Make them by removing 1/16" from the sharp edges of a spent blade. Most of the blade will remain and will be the shim itself. A sissor works for this. I find that my milder razors maintain the majority of their mildness, but they work so much more efficiently. The shim goes below the sharp blade.

When everything is loaded up, the shim won't cover the sharp edge of the working blade and will align with the working blade.

The shim trick even had me remove a NEW head from my travel razor and replace it with a Tech with 2 shims.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
FireTJ

Post by FireTJ »

Well guys, alittle check up real quick. I have been visiting quite a few antique stores here in oklahoma and have found very many schick injector razors with the ebony handle i believe. I looked at about 3 so far. The latest on i went to, I ended up finding something that I just had to buy. It was a stahly live blade!!!! The vibration no longer works due to the wind up piece inside being broke in half but the head wasnt bad! It needed to be cleaned pretty badly and i got that took care of. Shaved with it the other night and love it! I will be looking for a longer handle for it. Right now im using the gillette tech fat handle and its just too short for my hand. But, I was happy to find a razor that someone suggested on here for me to try and I picked it up for a total of $6.50!!! Great buy I believe haha.
L. Martino
Voted (fill in blank) member of SMF...

Post by L. Martino »

FireTJ wrote: a stahly live blade!!!! The vibration no longer works due to the wind up piece inside being broke in half but the head wasnt bad! It needed to be cleaned pretty badly and i got that took care of. Shaved with it the other night and love it!
Good deal,

I used the same handle as you and you're right about there being better ones for that head. As well as it shaves now, a different handle will improve things even more.

One thing I always check for with any 3 piecer is the blade gap being even, Gotta watch as the head's being snugged down.

Congrats on your lucky day acquisition.

Martin
FireTJ

Post by FireTJ »

One thing I always check for with any 3 piecer is the blade gap being even, Gotta watch as the head's being snugged down.
Ya I have been looking for even gaps on all the razors I looked at. One of the nice injectors I was gonna buy, had an uneven head alignment. One side kinda sagged down so I passed on it. I also am looking for a handle now for the stahly.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Congrats on the great antique store find! You can find longer and heavier handles listed for sale on the Buying, Selling, and Trading threads on the various shaving forums on the internet.
Gary

Gweezemeister

Post by Gweezemeister »

I'd say that if you've found the tech as a good head you'll always be coming back to it. You might as well begin enjoying the journey of RAD.

I started with Merkur 3 piece. Then the futur...then the comb..then the slant...the EJ...the Goodfella...the R41 (still feeling that one)...the Fatip...then landed on the Tech and like you mentioned - I am amazed on how well it handles the neck area. I now seem to come back to the Tech no matter how far I stray.
Andy