Merkur Slant 37-C

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Dapper Dad

Merkur Slant 37-C

Post by Dapper Dad »

I'm looking for a razor that offers a different experience from my Chatsworth. No problems with the Chatsworth, just looking for variety.

I have the dreaded thick beard/sensitive skin combination. I shave daily which, thanks to SMF, is a good thing. My current impression of the Slant is that it is aggresive, giving a close shave even with just one WTG pass.

Discussion and feedback from Slant users would be much appreciated!
Eric
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

try an adjustable merkur
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
RazoRock

Post by RazoRock »

warning, if you try a slant, your chatsworth might be effectively retired :D
Big Swifty

Post by Big Swifty »

RazoRock wrote:warning, if you try a slant, your chatsworth might be effectively retired :D
+1
Eric, the slant is truly an amazing razor especially for those with the so called tough beards. Pair it with a feather and have a truly amazing shave
~Steve

~proponent of a strong salvation army, born again Calvinist, cunning linguist, flaming heterosexual

"Life is too short to drink shitty beer"
IanM

Post by IanM »

I've used both the 37C and 39C version of the slant razors, and don't really find that they remove more hair than a "normal" DE razor on the WTG pass.

The most effective razors that I have used for WTG beard removal are the Merkur Futur and the Muhle R41 (the 2011 version), the R41 is especially effective, and the slant razors are somewhat benign in comparison.

However, I find that the Slant razors are very effective on an ATG pass.

Ian
Those who design "Fool Proof" systems often underestimate the ability of fools.
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

i have a slant, and my every frist de razor ever was a slant.

yes it does shave very well and its aggressive too.
my main razor is a futur and i believe it shaves ever better than the slant model

i could easally live with only a slant, for me its only a different style of razor.

i think the futur is the razor of razors. no matter what razor i have tried i always go back to my futur.

i just added a tradere razor to my herd, and that is another great razor i am findingto bea top notch..

marc
alcx77

Post by alcx77 »

I have had my Slant 37C in my rotation since 2002 and I cannot imagine ever removing it. It is only my penchant for variety that allows my other razors to get face time. Frankly, I consider it unlikely that you
will come to regret the purchase. 8)
Dapper Dad

Post by Dapper Dad »

Big Swifty wrote:
RazoRock wrote:warning, if you try a slant, your chatsworth might be effectively retired :D
+1
Eric, the slant is truly an amazing razor especially for those with the so called tough beards. Pair it with a feather and have a truly amazing shave
Wow! High praise and the proverbial nail in the coffin. At the Slant's price point that is an impressive statement from the both of you. I do use only feathers BTW. It won't be until November, but I'll have to pick one up.

Is it the angle that makes such a difference on tough beards? I've heard snowplow metaphors.
Eric
Dapper Dad

Post by Dapper Dad »

Gil, Ian, and Marc -

The Futur is on my radar as well and I appreciate you it that you brought it up for discussion. The big 3 for me were the Slant, Futur, and Cobra. I'm looking at it as an aggressive progression which may peak with a straight razor after the Cobra.

I'm looking for a variety of "experiences" with my razors (soaps/aftershaves etc). I'm confident this will evolve into collecting down the road, but for now it's about different types of shaves on a day to day basis.

Do you feel that the Futur adjusted to the highest level is more aggressive overall than the Slant? Would it make sense to have both in my arsenal?

Thanks again for your advice, half the fun is chewing the fat about these decisions with those that know much more than I.
Eric
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

eric, there is no limit to the adjustment on a futur. if you squeeze it properly you can rotate the handle past its stop point and get an adjustment equal to 20+ even though it stops at 6 :lol: that being said,, i've owned 3 futurs cause they look so cool but prefer the progress. it doesn't leave my face feeling as raw. i have changed my opinon of razors and now favor the muhle headed ej's the best
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
brothers

Post by brothers »

Eric, for price and perfomance, I'd recommend the Merkurs, Slant, Progress, and Futur. If you can formulate a plan to have them all, you can decide which to keep and which to pass on to others, and you won't have any trouble selling them. They're all very good.
Last edited by brothers on Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
DreadPirate

Post by DreadPirate »

The slant is very smooth but at the same time, very capable. I have 10 DE's, but none are better than the slant. Some are as good, but none better.
DreadPirate

Post by DreadPirate »

Absolutely!! You should try a slant.
Seamaster

Post by Seamaster »

Slant FTW.

I use nothing else these days.
Odio Barbillas
Location: Via Lactea, Orbis Terra (Sol III), Province of Nova Caesarea

Slant Cheering Section, huh?

Post by Odio Barbillas »

I tell you what, friends. For the past couple of years everything I've read about slants scares the spit out of me.

Mostly it's because the slant seems to be ideal for the people with thick hair growth. Not an issue for me. The hair on my face is tough but not dense. My skin is sensitive.

So, I've got a few other DEs and get the best results of my life. Different strokes, no? OK, I'll leave quietly.
Michael G.
NON IMPEDITI RATIONE COGITATIONIS
Shave4Fun

Re: Slant Cheering Section, huh?

Post by Shave4Fun »

Odio Barbillas wrote:I tell you what, friends. For the past couple of years everything I've read about slants scares the spit out of me.

Mostly it's because the slant seems to be ideal for the people with thick hair growth. Not an issue for me. The hair on my face is tough but not dense. My skin is sensitive.

So, I've got a few other DEs and get the best results of my life. Different strokes, no? OK, I'll leave quietly.
Michael,

I am not pushing the feared Slant your way, but before I bought one, folks had me scared to use it too. It IS an aggressive razor, but with time, patience and focus, it gives an excellent shave. Can't say I have sensitive skin, nor do I have a thick beard, but there is a propensity to cut my chin or neck at times with my Super-Speed as well. But I seldom nick myself with the Slant now.

Best,
Roger
Roger

I've been a wet shaver for 56 years! 8)
Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

DreadPirate wrote:The slant is very smooth but at the same time, very capable. I have 10 DE's, but none are better than the slant. Some are as good, but none better.
1+!
Roger
Roger

Odio Barbillas
Location: Via Lactea, Orbis Terra (Sol III), Province of Nova Caesarea

Re: Slant Cheering Section, huh?

Post by Odio Barbillas »

Shave4Fun wrote:Michael,

I am not pushing the feared Slant your way, but before I bought one, folks had me scared to use it too. It IS an aggressive razor, but with time, patience and focus, it gives an excellent shave. Can't say I have sensitive skin, nor do I have a thick beard, but there is a propensity to cut my chin or neck at times with my Super-Speed as well. But I seldom nick myself with the Slant now.

Best,
Roger
Well, Roger, maybe one day but not this week. Or next. :shock:
Michael G.
NON IMPEDITI RATIONE COGITATIONIS
slackskin

Slant is great

Post by slackskin »

I got a slant via trade on SMF. It shaves very well, particularly on the XTG pass. All the talk about how agressive the slant is -- is inconsistent with my experience. For me at least, it shaves just like any other quality razor but more efficiently. I don't feel the stubble coming back as quickly, and the cutting sound appears different, more of a slicing sound. Do NOT press down at all.

Bottom line - go for it.
Shave4Fun

Re: Slant is great

Post by Shave4Fun »

slackskin wrote:...Do NOT press down at all.
I suppose this is why some of us say it's aggressive?
Roger
Roger