For you Fatboy Fans - NOS in factory packaging

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Hello cd, welcome aboard.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Hey there CD. Thanks for posting on SMF!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Every other day, soaps & creams, synthetic / boar / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

If you start with $1.95 in 1960 and get 10% interest on it compounded annually until 2010 (for an even 50 years), you end up with slightly less than $230.
sillyshaver

Post by sillyshaver »

Cool...thanks for the info.
Will be interesting to see if the seller lowers his price if they sit for a while.
cdhumiston wrote:
sillyshaver wrote:Of course the rarity lies in the packaging...everyone and their father has a fatboy...but in the original packaging?

Has anyone seen another for sale anywhere in the last, say, 5 years? Would be nice to get an idea of previous prices...if nobody has then the collectorness (my own word) of them could be much more valuable.
One just went a week or so ago on ebay in original package for over $500
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Yes, human nature being what it is such things are not surprising. During the 'tulip mania' in early 17th Netherlands prize specimens sold for sums well into five figures.

Time to buy other mint DEs before their models get discovered.
Regards,
Squire
slackskin

Post by slackskin »

Squire wrote:During the 'tulip mania' in early 17th Netherlands prize specimens sold for sums well into five figures.
Squire makes an interesting historical point regarding the tulip bubble. For another example, look at tech stocks at the height of that bubble. For another example, look at real estate values here in the US over the past 5-6 years. This should put to rest the notion about "buy it now, it will only increase in value." Not to be a wet blanket, boys, but "sure things" can and do go down in value.

I am not anti-collector -- just arguing for more reasonable prices.

On the other end of the spectrum, I bet that Gary/Brothers is very happy with the increase in value of his fatboy -- he did better there than in the stock market!
brothers

Post by brothers »

My flea market fatboy that I got for a buck wasn't anywhere near mint. The case was lousy, but it was the case. However, a couple of years after that, I did find a mint fatboy in a very nice case, and that one went to a guy on the forums for just a bit more than I paid, I think around $50, which I think is still a very fair price. :lol:
Gary

SOTD 99%: Every other day, soaps & creams, synthetic / boar / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

Back in the 1990's, I bet you could have still gotten almost all of these collectible razors for very moderate prices. Then came eBay...
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

I was lucky enough to find a Fatboy that was essentially brand new at an antique market. The guy asked for $15 and I didn't try to talk him down (probably could have). Obviously it wasn't in it's factory packaging, but it was a barely used razor that was basically new.

I bought it about a year and a half ago, and I am still using it. Loaded it up with a Feather blade just this morning. It's a fine quality razor and I really like it.
"If we had steak, we could have steak and eggs, if we had some eggs."
SmallTank

Post by SmallTank »

It's just a "razor" right?..I mean..if it made me toast when I wanted and brewed me a good beer..well... :lol: