Gillette Adjustable Question

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Bytebuster

Gillette Adjustable Question

Post by Bytebuster »

Hi there to all,

I had two Gillette Adjustable used in the family from my grandfather and father to me. One is Fatboy and the Other one is Slim, but on both I have noticed that one side is different than the other side. One side is more aggressive than the other side. It doesn't make much difference if you switch between 1 and 9. The higher you I get I can't feel the difference that good, but I still feel it. Just a week ago I get another Gillette Adjustable with black handle. It is almost new a NOS item. As you can guess: I have the same issue with this razor. Now I begin to wonder: is this a manufacturing mistake or is it made like this on purpose: so that one side of the razor is always slightly sharper/aggressiver than the other side? I had also thought that maybe there was something wrong with the blade and I have changed the direction of the blade, but it was still the same same side of the razor was softer and the other side was one degree aggressive than the other. I had also tried different blades and still the same. Are there any other members who have noticed the same difference?

Thanks,
Bytebuster
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Hmmm, I don't know. I have a Fatboy and a number of Slims and I never noticed that. FWIW, I always just leave them set to 9. Interesting, and I absolutely can't help.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
brothers

Post by brothers »

It's gotta be something about the way you use them. I've used a dozen different Slims and Fatboys, Futur and Progress, and have never experienced this.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
L. Martino
Voted (fill in blank) member of SMF...

Re: Gillette Adjustable Question

Post by L. Martino »

Bytebuster wrote:Hi there to all,

I had two Gillette Adjustable used in the family from my grandfather and father to me. One is Fatboy and the Other one is Slim, but on both I have noticed that one side is different than the other side. One side is more aggressive than the other side. It doesn't make much difference if you switch between 1 and 9. The higher you I get I can't feel the difference that good, but I still feel it. Just a week ago I get another Gillette Adjustable with black handle. It is almost new a NOS item. As you can guess: I have the same issue with this razor. Now I begin to wonder: is this a manufacturing mistake or is it made like this on purpose:
Thanks,
Bytebuster
Hi there,

What you have there is a fairly common problem in Gillette adjustables (mostly slims). Caused by the blade gap being uneven with the safety bar and no, it's not a mistake made at the factory.

There's ways of fixing that problem but I can't provide any links (sorry). Over at The Shaving Room there's a bunch of posts about your exact problem. I think there's even someone who's willing to fix em on occasion. Since these are family heirlooms it might be worth while doing a bit more searching. As I said, it's not so uncommon to see that uneven thing. Heh, I have a few razors like that myself.

Hope that helps,

Martin
BBrad

Re: Gillette Adjustable Question

Post by BBrad »

L. Martino wrote:
Hi there,

What you have there is a fairly common problem in Gillette adjustables (mostly slims). Caused by the blade gap being uneven with the safety bar and no, it's not a mistake made at the factory.

. . .
I agree that it is not a factory issue . . . most likely the result of the razor being dropped (or someone in the habit of tapping the razor on the inside of the sink bowl) causing the head to be "out of square" or the safety bar(s) to be bent.

Since the brass parts are fairly soft, they can usually be tweaked back into alignment with gentle persuasion from a mini screwdriver used as a lever. The harder part is knowing just where to tweak the darn thing!

Start by setting the razor on 5, load a blade, and use feeler gauges to measure the blade gap at the corners and center of each side. Compare these six measurements to see just where the misalignment is.
Brad

You must be willing to do the things today others won't do . . .
In order to have the things tomorrow others won't have. - Les Brown
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

Never encountered this problem with a Gillette. I'm one of a few who have not had any issues with the Merkur but I've heard of some who have had issues with the Merkur Progress with this problem.

Don't have any advice for you, Sorry.
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
Bytebuster

I checked them

Post by Bytebuster »

L.S.

I read all of the comments. One thing I know is non of these razors had fallen or else. A family tradition (being born in a family with engineers, architects and artist) every item in the house has been and being used with great care.

I have noticed that one of the razors has a kind of production default: safety bar of one side is getting thicker to the left and right end. It is better visible when the blade is out. With the other one I can see a slight gap difference. Now I know what I have to do, but I don't know how to do it exactly without harming anything. I don't want to leave any mark or signs on the razors. The hardest thing, what I think, is that the gap difference is so small that the power I have to use must be minimum. I tried it with my fingers and hand, but it didn't. Has anybody any tips or tricks to do it correctly?

Kind regards,
Memo
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

I had a Slim that was perfect; gaps were even. I sold it.

Now I have a Fatboy and it is perfect. Best razor I own. No problems at all with uneven gaps.
"If we had steak, we could have steak and eggs, if we had some eggs."
brothers

Post by brothers »

These old razors were designed, engineered, and built on an assembly line at least 50 years ago. No telling how many times it's been used and/or abused or ignored. Given those facts, how many other instruments with moving adjustable parts costing less than $2 and maybe a couple of cosmetic issues still work so well? I doubt Gillette intended to guarantee perfection half a century into the apparently infinite useful lifetime of the razor. I believe Gillette considered the razors to be almost as disposable as the blades. Use it up, toss it, and get another one.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444