Astra SP

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Astra SP

Post by rtaylor61 »

Seems like no matter how many packages you open, soaps, creams, razors, aftershaves, pre-shave, post-shave, straights, brushes, stands, whatever, you get a new product and sometimes you just say, WOW! Happened tonight. 3 new products, one shave. Astra SP, Palmolive Shave Stick, Pinaud Clubman. Used my trusty Merkur 38C. About as perfect a shave as a man could hope for. I'll have to thank my son for recommending the Astra blades. I've used the Israeli Personna, Red Personna, Derby, Wilkinson, Merkur, Feathers and countless others. This was a great shave. It was simply smooth.

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

thanks for the tip......they arent even very expensive $9.20/100 via amzn (that was first vendor via goog!)

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Spenser

Post by Spenser »

Being pretty new to this form of shaving, one of my biggest surprises has been the blades. Some like this and someone else doesn't. Thats okay, we have plenty to choose from.

I like the Astra SP and the Merkur a lot. Tried most of the others on your list but the Red Personna and will check that out.

Keep seeing the Pinaud Clubman referred to, have to check that out also.
"Life is tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid" - John Wayne
changabang

Post by changabang »

It is a good blade for the price. What impresses me even more is the PermaSharp Super, formerly from Russia via Turkey.
James Nicks
oldtrout

Post by oldtrout »

I picked up 100 pack of Astra SPs when they were $8.00.

For the last few months I've been using the Personna Med Preps in my DEs, but this weekend I loaded an Astra in my Tradere OC. I have received three very nice shaves from the blade and think I can go for one more if I want.

If all the blades in the 100 pack are as good as this first one, I would say the Astra SPs are an excellent blade for the price. I could easily get a year of shaving out of this $8.00 purchase and be happy.
One can't believe everything one reads on the internet -- Abraham Lincoln
dosco

Post by dosco »

Spenser wrote:Keep seeing the Pinaud Clubman referred to, have to check that out also.
Oh yes, go to your nearest CVS, Walgreens, Osco, whatever, and get a bottle.

I like the scent a lot, which evokes fond memories of old-skool barbers when I was younger.