Alternative to a slim-adjustable for travelling

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
gdc

Alternative to a slim-adjustable for travelling

Post by gdc »

Hello everyone. I would appreciate some guidance on a purchasing decision, as you have all been so helpful in the past!

My daily use razor is a Gillette slim adjustable that was once my father-in-laws's. I generally use Feather blades, with the razor set to the least aggressive setting (1).

I would like to buy a non-adjustable razor for use when travelling that will provide a similar shave. When I first began using a DE I bought a Merkur HD and now find it far too light.

My preference would be for something relatively inexpensive (say less than $40).

Many thanks in advance.
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

If you intend to take the razor on an airplane in your carry-on, you best consider a cartridge razor. You won't be able to take DE blades in your carry-on, but you can with cartridges. I travel with a Gillette Sensor in my carry-on.
Bryan
gdc

Post by gdc »

Thanks - no concerns about flying here as most of my travel is within the UK.
When I do fly, I too use a Sensor.
Tucker

Feather Popular TTO

Post by Tucker »

For your needs, I recommend the Feather Popular TTO. It is a wonderful, albeit mild Twist To Open Razor that works well with Feather Blades. It comes with two blades and retails for $20 here in the U.S.
BBrad

Post by BBrad »

When I am traveling by car I just pack whatever razor is next up in my rotation along with the appropriate blades. Just toss it in my ditty bag and away I go! I'll do the same when flying and checking luggage. There are a couple razors I don't take out of the house, just in case I have a brain cramp and forget to pack it at the hotel . . . but most everything from a Super Speed to a Slim is fair game for travel.

When I fly and won't be checking my bag, I'll pack a Gillette Atra and a couple of cartridges and I'm good to go. I get DFS from the Atra, and TSA is happy.
Brad

You must be willing to do the things today others won't do . . .
In order to have the things tomorrow others won't have. - Les Brown
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

A repeat of a previous post of mine. When flying I go with a couple of Bic sensitives in a carry-on. When I cross the border by car, then it's a DE.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
gdc

Re: Feather Popular TTO

Post by gdc »

Tucker wrote:For your needs, I recommend the Feather Popular TTO. It is a wonderful, albeit mild Twist To Open Razor that works well with Feather Blades. It comes with two blades and retails for $20 here in the U.S.
Interesting. Is the Feather TTO a similar weight/size to the slim adjustable?
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

You could pick up a vintage Gillette Tech. It would be about a "1" in a Slim. One might set you back all of $10 and if it gets lost who cares? They made about 3 billion of them. There is even a travel Tech with a tiny handle and they can be found with a tiny travel case. They can fit in a very small space if that's at a premium.

Here's my travel tech in a case that I made for it since the leatherette case it was in had seen much better days and there was no place for blade storage.
And to give an idea of the scale.

It's shown with a plastic pack of Feathers, but it's possible to get over a dozen individually wrapped blades in the storage area if one requires that many. Too, the homemade TravelTech case allows me to store a used blade in the Tech head. That wouldn't have ben advised (IMO) in the original. Travel techs are found with other cases though, not just the leatherette case.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
gdc

Post by gdc »

ShadowsDad wrote:You could pick up a vintage Gillette Tech. It would be about a "1" in a Slim. One might set you back all of $10 and if it gets lost who cares? They made about 3 billion of them. There is even a travel Tech with a tiny handle and they can be found with a tiny travel case. They can fit in a very small space if that's at a premium.
Aha! I like this. To ebay...!
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Or you could post a WTB in the b/s/t section.

I bet it wouldn't take even 1 day before someone contacts you. We all have Techs.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
gdc

Post by gdc »

ShadowsDad wrote:Or you could post a WTB in the b/s/t section.

I bet it wouldn't take even 1 day before someone contacts you. We all have Techs.
Excellent suggestion, I've done just that.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

gdc, Just be aware that very few non-adjustable DEs have the weight of the Gillette that you use. The Merkur HD is as beefy as most and you say that it feels too light to you. This stuff is mainly a matter of what one is used to. Razors like the Gillette Superspeed or Tech used to feel kind of dinky and too short to me because I was used to the Gillette Super Adjustable. But now, after using Superspeed types for several years the Adjustable feels slightly cumbersome and unwieldy. You may have to just try and adjust to a lighter razor for travel if you don't want to take your regular day-to-day Gillette Slim.
Regards,
Gordon
gdc

Post by gdc »

bernards66 wrote:gdc, Just be aware that very few non-adjustable DEs have the weight of the Gillette that you use. The Merkur HD is as beefy as most and you say that it feels too light to you. This stuff is mainly a matter of what one is used to. Razors like the Gillette Superspeed or Tech used to feel kind of dinky and too short to me because I was used to the Gillette Super Adjustable. But now, after using Superspeed types for several years the Adjustable feels slightly cumbersome and unwieldy. You may have to just try and adjust to a lighter razor for travel if you don't want to take your regular day-to-day Gillette Slim.
Regards,
Gordon
Very useful guidance as ever Gordon. Many thanks.