Let's talk about personna medical blades

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
marsos52

Let's talk about personna medical blades

Post by marsos52 »

so, I split a box of 100 with a friend,

I got these mainly for my son since he doesn't love merkurs blades.

Tried one last week, First and second shave was amazing, actually stellar is the word. Then day three, a whole new ball game. the blade felt really used and the shave is bad. Hey it"s one blade. try another.

Second blade, first and second shave were outstanding, third shave, well nothing to write home about.

I know many here love these blades, and I'm interested to know how long the life of these blades are lasting you guys.

My son has not tried them yet, he finishing a pack of Gillette silver/blue

marc
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I generally just can them after 7 shaves, but I've gotten as many as 10 shaves from one blade when I decided to test their longevity. I don't like to push a DE blade to it's end of life though because they generally start to draw blood when they decide it's time to be retired.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
brothers

Post by brothers »

Over the past year or more, I've been known to buy a tuck of blades that are being touted as the best since sliced bread, and comparing them shave for shave against my tried and true Personna HU blades. None of the contenders were lousy, and in each case, I was mildly disappointed that the "other" blade didn't seem to have what it took to equal or beat the Personnas. After about the third go-around the challengers were very good blades (Polsilver Super Iridiums and the old SI blades). None better than my Personnas, though. I've become very well satisfied that I've got the blade I'm supposed to have. I'm not on a marathon to see how many shaves I can get from a single blade, and I am eager to change blades about every 6 to 8 shaves, simply because the truth is that I really like how they shave, day in and day out.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

marc, Im using for 4 shaves and replacing, but i did that with merks too. in any event, the 4th shave is very nice....actually 2,3,4 are better than 1st, but most blades are like that for me

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

p.s. the only blade ive used that was beyond excellent first shave was the light brigades

clive
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

thanks guys,

ill try one more blade ad see how it shaves beyond the third day.

hey, it's only my face ha ha

marc
Books

Post by Books »

I get anywhere from 5 - 7 shaves with them before they are finished.
Bob
dosco

Re: Let's talk about personna medical blades

Post by dosco »

marsos52 wrote:so, I split a box of 100 with a friend
Marc:
Were these the "Hospital Use" blades?

-Dave
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

Were these the "Hospital Use" blades?

yes they are.. the box says 'prep blades'
marc
shavergolfer

Post by shavergolfer »

I get 6+ shaves from these blades, interestingly the 1st shave is the roughest and then the blade smooths out.
oldtrout

Post by oldtrout »

My favorite blade, the Personna Med Preps do not have those spots of wax that annoy me so. I would guess that I get five or six shaves per blade.
One can't believe everything one reads on the internet -- Abraham Lincoln
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I just retired one that gave me its 7th shave today. I felt it could have given more, but it's simply not worth pushing it IMO. I don't like the way DE blades tell me that they've had enough.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
dosco

Post by dosco »

On monday I ordered a box of 100 from Robbins Instruments. Hopefully it will be here soon ... <drool>
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

fyi.....amzn has decent pricing on these too

clive
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

I don't understand the love for these blades. Very pedestrian, in my experience.
"If we had steak, we could have steak and eggs, if we had some eggs."
brothers

Post by brothers »

kingfisher wrote:I don't understand the love for these blades. Very pedestrian, in my experience.
I'm absolutely certain that double edge razor blades, because of their very existence are commonplace, unexciting, and boring, i.e. pedestrian. Not meriting or generating emotional involvement. :lol:

For many of us who use or have used them, any brand of double edge blades are going to be judged based on our individual expectations and perceptions. In my case Personna hospital use blades are as good as any other current production double edge razor blades. I find that I prefer to buy them and use them in my double edge razors. 8)
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
NewYorkBuck

Post by NewYorkBuck »

fallingwickets wrote:p.s. the only blade ive used that was beyond excellent first shave was the light brigades

clive
Same for me. That said, the LB is one of the few blades that I will also take past 10 days usage.

Ah, the good old days....
A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

- George Bernard Shaw
Gene

Post by Gene »

I was gifted some the blue wrapped medical style from Brothers not long ago.

I like them, can get decent performance from them. But, I'm not sure if they are better than Voskhod's, or the dark blue packs of Gillette's either.

It is nice to know there seems to be a source in the US that won't likely change any time soon.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
dosco

Post by dosco »

For me they have been better than Gillette Yellows and Greens. I'm still debating if they are better than Blues (I think yes but am not entirely certain yet).

My box of 100 arrived yesterday from Robbins Instruments ... will use one this AM. Am looking forward to it ... !
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

fallingwickets wrote:p.s. the only blade ive used that was beyond excellent first shave was the light brigades

clive
Blasphemy.... (But True) The Wilks and the Light Brigades are outstanding...
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...