GOT THE COBRA: NOW WHAT?

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
JRTASTER

GOT THE COBRA: NOW WHAT?

Post by JRTASTER »

The Cobra arrived this a.m. and is scheduled for its first trial tomorrow.

As it came out of the box and when loaded with a blade, I noticed an ever so minimal play in the lower part of the blade head assembly; to be more precise, the portion of the head on which the blade itself rests.

Before I panic, is such minimal play "normal," or do I have a defective razor??

If, as hoped, the razor's OK, what shaving/technique tips ( e.g., blade/head angle), do I need to get the remarkably close, comfortable shaves everyone here seems to get from the Cobra?? Any "DON'T s, or other warnings?

I face lather using DRH's Arlington or MWF soaps, and get DFS from my current Jagger 89 octagonal and Gillete adjustable DEs. I'm not anticipating any changes in soap or brush choices.

So, am I ready to go. All you Cobra fans, please chime in. It was your enthusiastic comments that got me here; now your technical and technique advice is needed!

Thanks in advance!

jr/John
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

I think I "fixed" the minimal play in the head by merely applying a bit of upward pressure on the lower part of head; it then fully secures itself, eliminating the barely noticeable "jiggle."

With some sense of relief, the first trial run will be still be delayed a bit until receiving some feedback/advice on the DO's and DON'T's of using this new instrument of either (hopefully) shaving bliss or bloody torture.

Thanks again to all who will contribute suggestions!

jr/John
RonCall

Post by RonCall »

The minimal play is normal, once the blade is in place it's locked tight. As far as advice there is not much to say, it's a pretty straight forward razor, you will feel and hear it if you have the correct angle, it's easy to find. I didn't find the Cobra to be a aggressive razor but one that gives a tremendous good and close shave.

I do use a somewhat wetter lather just like when I use my Feather DX razors or a straight but you'll have to see for yourself what works best. Enjoy the cobra!
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

ok, ronc, good news and thanks for the encouragement!!!

john
brothers

Post by brothers »

Just approach it thoughtfully, little or no pressure, no hurry, get a feel for the blade's presence, as it does it's work. Nothing more than with any other new (to you) razor. Most guys get around 5 or more good shaves from one blade. You got it, now you can use it and enjoy it.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

use in good health.....looking forward to reading what you think about it

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

How much wider is the blade than a regular Schick?
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

Pauldog wrote:How much wider is the blade than a regular Schick?
Cobra 2.0625"

Schick 1.75"

Regards,
David
Regards,
David
Bob H

Post by Bob H »

JRTASTER Where did you get your Cobra from? I see Classic is still out of stock, or did they sell out again?
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

Bob H wrote:JRTASTER Where did you get your Cobra from? I see Classic is still out of stock, or did they sell out again?
Bob, I was on their waiting list and received an email advising Cobras were back in stock. My order went in just as soon as the email was read.

I got mine, but within a very few hours they were OOS, AGAIN!

I understand they will be back in stock late August.

I guess I was lucky!

jr/John
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

desertbadger wrote:
Pauldog wrote:How much wider is the blade than a regular Schick?
Cobra 2.0625"

Schick 1.75"

Regards,
David
Wow, working from memory only, my guess (incorrect, for sure), would have been that the Schick is a wider blade.

jr/John
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

After a couple of weeks of using the Cobra, a few observations come to mind:
1. this baby has to be retreated with respect. The blade is way sharper than any DE blade I've ever tried. Lose concentration and you'll be looking for a replacement nose or ear.
2. until my technique slowly improved the first 4-5 shaves left me with several weepers and a few nasty slashes; I had to use styptic powder to get the bleeding stemmed. Likewise, my face felt decidedly taut after the first few shaves and my alum block is still needed after every shave. Those using an after shave balm will need to kep it handy for the first week or so
3. the width of the razor head is something you'll need time to get used to. For me, it made shaving the upper lip, particularly, something to which you must pay CLOSE attention.
4. i didn't find the handle particularly comfortable. And considering they started from scratch on the design, they might have found away to make it a true injector, ala Schick. Changing blades isn't so dangerous as it is unnecessarily difficult.
5. You can get really close shaves with the Cobra, at least 4-6 extra hours. If this isn't BBS, I don't want to know what is!
6. The Cobra worked pretty much the same whether I used AOS, DR Harris Arlington or MWF, my regular rotation of soaps. BUT, today I used the Haslinger Honey soap and it was the best shave so far, by a wide margin. Close, smooth and comfortable. The Haslinger soap may need a separate thread to extol its virtues!
7. YMMV but 5 shaves per blade seems to be my max; best find a cheap source of blades or be prepared for an expensive shaving experience.
8. the weight of the razor makes the WTG pass easy, but the ATG and XTG passes will require ever so gently more pressure...be aware of this and be careful.

Am I pleased with the Cobra??? A very qualified yes. A bit more time will be needed for me to improve my technique to get the closer, more comfortable shaves I suspect and hope the Cobra can and should provide.

In the right hands and with patience, this is a formidable tool. Whether it's worth the formidable price is something each user will have to decide for himself.

I'll try to answer your specific questions!

jr/John
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

Well, John, you're right! When I first did a write up on the Cobra several years ago, I did recommend it was not was a razor for anyone that cannot master a DE razor. It also won't appeal to every shaver, that's for sure. With that said, it is one fantastic shaving tool but it does command respect. I've been shaving for something like 47 years now and the Cobra is the best razor I've ever used for very close, comfortable, shaves.......period.
The first time I used it I too got one weeper, but none since then. And yes, there is a learning curve involved, but for me it was a very short one.
I really like the handle and the way it's shaped, but that's more of a personal preference.
One advantage to manual loading the blade, say compared to an injector razor, is you can hand strop the blade and that will usually give you maybe 2-3 more shaves from the same blade.
As far as the price for blades goes, you have to shop around. Amazon had a very good buy on the blades not long ago that was way cheaper than what Classic Shaving charges, and no sales tax (for me anyway) to boot.

Regards,
David
Regards,
David