Minimalist DE razors

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Re: Minimalist DE razors

Post by Squire »

Come to think of it a three piece DE is about as minimalist as you can get so I may as well get one that lasts.
Regards,
Squire
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

I'm with Squire.

A three-piece is minimalist and functional. The best choice, in my opinion, is a vintage pre-war Tech (the one with the triangular cutouts in the baseplate). A fine razor and a fine shave.
"If we had steak, we could have steak and eggs, if we had some eggs."
brothers

Post by brothers »

I'm with you. My dad's only razor was one of these triangular hole Techs from around '39 or so. I have it now, and still use it every so often just for kicks. I'll pass it on to my son & grandson one of these days, I reckon. I think he used it while in the US Marines during WWII, newly married and right out of high school. Before I learned to respect it as a very efficient razor, I used to nick myself all too often and avoided using it. It used to nick him once in a while, I think.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I like the old Tech, for me it's a bit mild but I suspect that's the blade exposure.
Regards,
Squire
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

Squire wrote:I like the old Tech, for me it's a bit mild but I suspect that's the blade exposure.
It's not as mild as the new Techs.

I have a Canadian Tech with the triangular holes that is quite efficient; seems to be even slightly more aggressive than my American-made triangular-slot Tech. Could be my imagination.

If I put either of these heads on a heavier, longer handle (Tradere handle, UFO custom Kaiser handle), this Tech is, I suppose, no longer "minimalist" in the sense the OP was getting at, but it is a fine razor. Squire, I think you would be surprised at how efficient/aggressive it becomes when mated with one of these heavier handles.
JarmoP

Post by JarmoP »

Anyone have experience of this Gillette Sportsman razor? It is I think of aluminium handle

http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/Tech/1 ... ngland.JPG

It is my only Tech razor. The blade sits adjusted under the head cap 4 'flaps'.
I prefer my Merkur HD over it but all in all it is not a bad razor. I find it harder to get myself BBS under my jaw and get more easy some irritation around my lip area than with HD. Must be something to do with Merkur fixed head having a longer safety guard and myself not so much used to this Tech. I could shave with it as my only razor though if put to that. It is inherited from my family, not sure which member though.

How does it compare to older Techs?
Jarmo
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

Jarmo, that razor is essentially identical to what most people call a British Tech. It is considerably milder than the pre-war American/Canadian Tech. The aggression level on that Tech would be pretty much the same as the post-war Techs with the non-triangular cut-outs, but due to the light weight of the handle, in practice it may be even milder.

Not at all comparable to the wonderful pre-war Tech head on a heavier handle.
The_Metatron

Re:

Post by The_Metatron »

Pauldog wrote:This current Gillette DE all-plastic razor available in Asia is pretty minimal:

One of the short sides has a hinge where you flip the head open.
I have one of those in black, brought back from Thailand. It shaved acceptably, but I did not like how lightweight it is.
"The secret of steel has always carried with it a mystery. You must learn its riddle. You must learn its discipline. For no one - no one in this world can you trust. Not men, not women, not beasts... This you can trust."
JarmoP

Post by JarmoP »

Yes Kingfisher, the Tech's aluminium handle is very light, so much so that the balance point is there where the handle knurling ends and no one I think holds the razor so up from handle. I shaved today again with it, it had a Derby blade which is a very mild blade. Good irritationless 2 pass + touchup shave , but not all BBS.

I decided to make a change and put Feather Portable http://reviewsforkicks.com/2009/03/25/feather-portable/ handle on the Sportsman head. Feather handle is 1.5 mm shorter but also much heavier. Now the balance of the razor seems just right. It is a really nice knurled albeit a short handle that just also looks better than the Tech's original. I will try also a sharper more aggressive blade in the Tech head.

This combination will make a compact travel razor with the Feather case of 7.7 x 4.4 x 1.9 mm dimensions. The head is allowed to contain the blade without any chance of blade getting knocked in the tiny case with handle separated and also space for some extra blades.

Will see how it shaves.

Edit: I was using Red Personna blade that is very mild too instead Derby.
Jarmo
JarmoP

Post by JarmoP »

About with this morning's english Sportsman Tech head and the heavy short Feather Portable handle and loaded with new Gillette 7 O'Clock super platinum (dark blue blade) shave. The razor is in balance to me with that handle. I know some like head heavy razors, but the original handle was way too light for me. It is nice we can experiment with different handles on 3 piece razors.

It was almost a BBS 2 pass and a touchup on my upper and lower lip and chin shave. So YES I can do that too then with a Tech.

I did not press too much but was maybe a bit careless about the blade angle on my lower neck adams apple area where my whiskers grow upwards on the 2nd mostly ATG pass. Some red spots. And I did not remember it was with a more aggressive blade. Will see if with the better angle I can get as gentle shaves on my sensitive neck as with my trusty HD. On the other areas of my face the Tech did just fine.
Jarmo
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Squire wrote:Come to think of it a three piece DE is about as minimalist as you can get so I may as well get one that lasts.
Though in my teens for some reason I honestly don't remember I used to put aside the second of those three pieces and shave with the top-plate, blade and handle. A truly 'open comb' razor!

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
JarmoP

Post by JarmoP »

Chris, i doubt if you got any "shaving" done that way. DE blades are so fexible and i never even have set my Progress past 4 setting. :)

About Feather Portable, you readers who did not catch it when it was more widely available. You did not miss too much.
The head quality is not so great though i can get good shaves with it, just have to be careful. It is not some mild shaver like EJ/Muehle head.
Just telling, but i like the handle a lot.

It is going to be Tech time for me for some time. Even loaded my Lord Tech with a used 7 times Super Iridium blade just for comparison with the original.
Jarmo
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

This conversation has me thinking I might dig out my Chatsworth.
Regards,
Squire
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

drmoss_ca wrote:Though in my teens for some reason I honestly don't remember I used to put aside the second of those three pieces and shave with the top-plate, blade and handle. A truly 'open comb' razor!

Chris

Do you remember what the shave was like? (You may have inspired a few readers to try it out. I might set up a razor like that, stare at it, say, "Hmm," and then get out my Norelco :wink: ).

Maybe it falls into the category of "young people feel immortal and take more risks" that I read about while helping a friend get through her "psychology of the life cycle" course.
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Re: Re:

Post by Pauldog »

The_Metatron wrote:
Pauldog wrote:This current Gillette DE all-plastic razor available in Asia is pretty minimal

One of the short sides has a hinge where you flip the head open.
I have one of those in black, brought back from Thailand. It shaved acceptably, but I did not like how lightweight it is.

I said it was minimal, not good! It would be hard, if even possible, to get something "more" minimal. Maybe a plastic hospital razor, where there's not even a provision to change the blade.

There is probably a flip-top metal razor with a hinge on one side, and that could turn out to be both minimal and very good. My guess is that it would have been made somewhere in the 1930's-1950's. I searched the US patent listings for the words "flip razor hinge blade" but didn't find anything.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

As far as I remember, it was very effective. The small exposed edge of blade wasn't overly flexible as it was screwed tight against the top plate. Obviously it was a sensitive to pressure and angle of attack as, say, a straight razor.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
TommyDawg

Re:

Post by TommyDawg »

gsgo wrote:That's what I liked about my old silver ball ended Gillette Tech that I bought in like new condition from that on line auction site. It came in a bundle of five razors and from the description was the biggest surprise of the bunch. Back in those days the Tech was not in favor on the shaving forms, to mild and gentle for the hardcore shavers.

It was near pristine when I pulled it from the package and immediately caught my eye. When I overcame the stigma of the unsung Tech my first shave was smooth and comfortable.

As simple and as minimal as they come and cheap as chips back in those days. Why oh why did I ever sell it off in one of those dumb moments.
Agree, Gary about the ball tech. Its my favorite travel razor for several reasons...its a 3piece, so it breaks down to pack. Its extremely reliable, which means a lot to me when I travel because I am out of my normal routine. And it is mild, which again works well when considering different water, lighting, mirror, poor hotel sleep, etc.
Tom