Minimalist DE razors

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
John N.

Minimalist DE razors

Post by John N. »

Recently I have gotten interested in what I call minimalist razors. These razors cost usually under $15.00, and the rational for my interest is that they would be great in the shower or for travel....I also think they are pretty kool in that they are usually fairly well made, look OK and, in my limited experience, work well. My first was a plastic 2 piece called the Super Max Kwik. Worked fairly well for a few months, then the plastic threaded shaft stripped. Only out about $4.00. My current weapon is the Lord Racer. This one is of a similar design (though a 3 piece) as the Kwik, but has a metal top plate and the threaded shaft is also metal. Works quite well, and hope it is good for the long haul. Cost, about $6.00. If the Racer crashes, I have my eye on the Lord Tech; all metal 3 piece design for around $11.00 ... approaching my definitional limit.
I also believe that one of the reasons I find these fairly inexpensive DEs interesting is that these are the DE razors the men of India, Pakistan, Egypt etc. use on a daily basis....probable the razors the Gillette Guard was designed to replace. Another way to "connect" to the rest of the world via our hobby.
Anyway, I found them all at Shoebox.
J.
John N.
churchilllafemme

Post by churchilllafemme »

A razor that I have gotten to really like, now that I'm more used to its light weight, is a plastic-handled Rotbart that cost me $13. While not the closest-shaving razor, it is extremely smooth, especially with high-quality vintage blades.
_______
John
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Check out vintage DE razors, they've been going for many years and still are.

Many can be had for well under $15 and they are easy to replace.

The Gillette Travel Tech is made to be a travel razor, they are priced inexpensively, and they'll last a lot longer than razors that last for just a few months since they're made of actual real quality metal. Is anything more expensive than anything that is short lived and requires frequent replacement? That sounds expensive to me, and frustrating if I need the razor and it breaks. Of course you could always pack 2 razors in case one poops itself.

Edit:

BTW, that's frugality... buy it once have it forever. Buying cheap and replacing it frequently is expensive.

I've been frugal my entire life; long before I moved to Maine whose residents are known for frugality.

Before moving here I bought a Stihl chainsaw because I recognized quality and the slight additional cost meant it could easily be repaired for longevity. Long life means inexpensive in the long run. Shortly after moving here I was able to hear a conversation between a professional woodcutter (WC) and someone from away (SFA). It went something like this.

SFA: "I have this brand x (cheap homeowner) chainsaw."

WC: "It will be a fine second saw if you have an extremely reliable primary saw.", said with laughter in his eye.

You've spent how much so far? And if it doesn't work will spend how much more? What was your cost limit again? Do it once, do it right, and be done with it; that's inexpensive (and frugal). But it's your money. BTW, I don't need those answers, they were asked rhetorically.

IMO you're trying to reinvent the wheel with lesser materials. The razor(s) that meet your criteria were made many years ago and are still going strong today because of the build quality. (FWIW, They aren't my favorite razors, but I can't ignore them. I add shims to make them useable for me.)
Last edited by ShadowsDad on Sat May 11, 2013 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Craig_From_Cincy

Post by Craig_From_Cincy »

I own this modest Wilkinson Sword DE razor that retails for under $15 last time I checked:

It's a real little workhorse of a razor that I've primarily used for tavel over the years. It's non-aggressive and a good value for the money.
Cheers,

Craig
brothers

Post by brothers »

John, that's great advice about buying the old razors. They started out cheap, and the user grade ones are still cheap.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
John N.

Post by John N. »

Already on board with old/vintage razors. Have several; my favorite being a pristine Gillette SS Redtip from 1959. My interest in the "minimalist" razors has less to do with frugality (when it comes to this interest, neither I or anyone close to me would describe me as particularly "frugal"), and more to do with a curiosity of what can be had at this price point, and how best to utilize the good products to be found there. The SM Kwik was not a big loss since I enjoyed using it for a good number of fine shaves (I probably over tightened it), and I believe the Lord Racer (with it's metal threaded shaft) should work well for the long term. If not, there is always the Lord Tech lurking in the On Deck Circle. So Far, cost is about $10.00. For me, it's about variety, having fun and learning the landscape.
J.
John N.
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

That's what I liked about my old silver ball ended Gillette Tech that I bought in like new condition from that on line auction site. It came in a bundle of five razors and from the description was the biggest surprise of the bunch. Back in those days the Tech was not in favor on the shaving forms, to mild and gentle for the hardcore shavers.

It was near pristine when I pulled it from the package and immediately caught my eye. When I overcame the stigma of the unsung Tech my first shave was smooth and comfortable.

As simple and as minimal as they come and cheap as chips back in those days. Why oh why did I ever sell it off in one of those dumb moments.
Good shaving,

Gary
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

This current Gillette DE all-plastic razor available in Asia is pretty minimal:

One of the short sides has a hinge where you flip the head open.
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

gsgo wrote:Why oh why did I ever sell it off in one of those dumb moments.
It's not as though you couldn't replace it at pretty low cost.
John N.

Post by John N. »

Pauldog wrote:This current Gillette DE all-plastic razor available in Asia is pretty minimal:

Not nearly minimal enough...after all, you get 2 free blades :shock: .
John N.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I have three different vinatge Techs that are as minimalistic as it gets. One was free, and two I paid $15 for both. They are good shavers and mate well with a Feather.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
brothers

Post by brothers »

I think the tiniest bit of confusion comes from the fact that the razors you describe as minimalist are serving the same marketing purpose as the minimalist razors of yesteryear - Kronas, Techs, what have you, over the last hundred years or so - simple designs, giveaway prices, so the buyer buys the razor for next to nothing and then using the razor he would spend more money on blades as return customers. You are the guy King Gillette had in mind.
Last edited by brothers on Sun May 12, 2013 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
John N.

Post by John N. »

Gary, the razors I am talking about I am certain are made for the local markets and are all DEs. Whether one is using a Futur, Red Tip, Cobra Classic or Lord Racer; one always has to buy new blades. We all fall into K. Gillette's cross hairs.The use of a DE razor, and even a Cobra, lessens the financial impact of this cycle when compared with the current crop of cart. blades. Only way out of this is the use of a straight that one maintains oneself; or perhaps grow a beard.
Truth be known, I am certain I have spent much more on this hobby than if I had kept to the latest and greatest cart. razor and changed blades with enthusiasm.
J.
John N.
brothers

Post by brothers »

I agree 100% John. Well said. I am also the guy Mr. G. wanted to sell his blades to. And it's working! The first brand new DE I bought was a $1.59 Slim at the drug store. The second new one was a Krona and I think it was maybe $1. I've still got both!
Gary

John N.

Post by John N. »

Gary, I am impressed that you still have your first razor. I sadly do not, but I do remember it; a Schick J3 w/ hydro-magic lever (???). I do still have most of my razors since; the first two being a Schick M3 adjustable (I started out an injector guy) and then a Gillette Super Adjustable w/ black handle (long). These last two still get a lot of use, and are holding up just fine. A side note: I recently discovered a stash of US made stainless Schick injector blades at a gas station mini-mart in the tiny burg of Conway WA. I made off with the bunch while pretending not to notice the odd looks cast my way :) .
J.
Last edited by John N. on Sun May 12, 2013 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John N.
brothers

Post by brothers »

It pays to check out the merchandise!
Gary

bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

John, Good eye!....and lucky you....sigh. I should make more of an effort to visit out of the way burgs....God knows there's enough of them in Florida.
Regards,
Gordon
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

if I had kept to the latest and greatest cart. razor and changed blades with enthusiasm.
its all smf's fault :lol: :lol:

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
hairysolomon

Re:

Post by hairysolomon »

I like the Christmas color-scheme. But I'll give it a pass for being in the Asian market ;)
Pauldog wrote:This current Gillette DE all-plastic razor available in Asia is pretty minimal:

JarmoP

Re: Minimalist DE razors

Post by JarmoP »

One of the good razors that were cheap to acquire is my Feather Portable DE razor. It is a tad on the aggressive side (more aggressive than say Merkur HD my favorite razor) but with careful technique it is just fine and being all solid metal construction it will last for ever. The handle is on the short side but to me quite manageable. I think I had it sent to me by a member in this thread, thank you Pauldog.

The Lord Tech I acquired from somewhere is all with metal (thin) construction, but nowhere near as good. Gets to shame compared with a real Gillette Tech.
Jarmo