Who still has their very first razor?

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
ShadowsDad

Re: Who still has their very first razor?

Post by ShadowsDad » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:58 pm

WOW! 300 razors! That's what I've been hearing from NE Ohio... that great big razor sucking sound!

Great that in the melee you've kept track of your first razors.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite http://www.krampertsfinest.com/
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square

Gundogs

Post by Gundogs » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:26 pm

Still have my 1961 Gillette Fatboy which was a gift and it and it looks almost new despite having been with me throughout my time in the Marine Corps and to Vietnam. used it for a number of years before I went modern with a single edge, then multiple blade, and an electric over the years until returning to a double edge razor in the form of Merkur Vision and others. Still have the plastic box it came in. The box is a little rough but the razor is in great shape. I did blacken the numbers as they had faded some and now it looks great. Occasionally will use the fatboy but prefer the newer double edge razors.

KayakDom

Post by KayakDom » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:37 pm

Gundogs wrote:Still have my 1961 Gillette Fatboy which was a gift and it and it looks almost new despite having been with me throughout my time in the Marine Corps and to Vietnam. used it for a number of years before I went modern with a single edge, then multiple blade, and an electric over the years until returning to a double edge razor in the form of Merkur Vision and others. Still have the plastic box it came in. The box is a little rough but the razor is in great shape. I did blacken the numbers as they had faded some and now it looks great. Occasionally will use the fatboy but prefer the newer double edge razors.
Thank you for your service, Marine.

scruffy

Post by scruffy » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:11 am

I have my first Schick Injector from the mid 80's. The handle is now a little loose. I am not sure how much longer it will last. I misplaced it and I bought a replacement in the 90s. Both still give good shaves but the blades do not last as long as they used to.
Ed

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:47 am

I have some heirloom razors (my Father's and other family members) but didn't manage to hang onto any of my earlier DEs or injectors.
Regards,
Squire

jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:13 am

I sure wish I had kept my first razor - a Shick adjustable injector. It was the exact razor my dad had --- -and I can still recall the day when he told me it was probably time I started to learn to shave. Which was code for "Son, that peach fuzz junk on your face doesn't make you look old and mature, it makes you look silly." Smart guy, my dad.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?

veer2000

Post by veer2000 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:38 pm

I have been using a de for about 3 years now and
I have half of my first razor, a de89 .. I traded the head but kept the handle.

Rufust445

Post by Rufust445 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:01 am

It was a 1967 Travel Tech given to me as a Christmas present in the late '60's, in a "genuine leather made in Austria" travel case.
I continued using electrics until I decided to try it in the early '70's. Liked the results, but in a hurry to get to work one
morning, sliced off part of a bump on the left corner of my upper lip. Put the travel Tech away and tried the Wilkinson Bonded
razor that was showing up in ads, then Trac II, then Atra, etc., etc.

When a supply of Mach 3 cartridges someone had given me was running low and the price was getting outrageous, I started looking
for alternatives and discovered these shaving sites. Found the Travel Tech, which still had 2 or 3 blades with it. Then a sampler pack
from West Coast Shaving, etc., etc...

brothers

Post by brothers » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:08 pm

I still have the first razor. It was my dad's '30's Gillette fat handle Tech with triangular holes. I suspect it was the first and only razor he ever owned, as far as I know.
Gary

SOTD 99%: 12 soaps & creams, SilkSmoke synthetic, General V2 by Colonial razors, Kai & Schick, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444 asb

Antique Hoosier

Post by Antique Hoosier » Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:35 pm

Don't have my first straight razor but I do have my second ever purchased back in 2007. I have bought and sold and traded and bought and sold and traded it 3 times over. It is back in my hands and never leaving.
Attachments
DSCN1809.JPG
DSCN1809.JPG (1.32 MiB) Viewed 1220 times
Mike

brothers

Post by brothers » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:02 pm

Michael, this reminds me that my first straight razor was a 4/8, and I got it in 2009 from a B&B member "waitasecon" in a trade for a tube of IM shaving cream. It served its intended purpose well, and I eventually sold it to a woman who happened to be a member of TSD who preferred the smaller blades.
Gary

SOTD 99%: 12 soaps & creams, SilkSmoke synthetic, General V2 by Colonial razors, Kai & Schick, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444 asb