SE Users

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
celar36

SE Users

Post by celar36 »

I am just curious how many of fine SMF members use SE razors?

I have a dozen of them with my favourite is Ever Ready 1912 and Streamline.

How do you find SE?
Jack
John N.

Re: SE Users

Post by John N. »

I have 4 SE razors: a Schick M3 Injector (adjustable), a Cobra Classic, a 1912 Gem Jr. (with fat Bakelite handle) and a Gem OC Micromatic. They are all part of my largish rotation, and I would say that at least 1/3 to 1/2 of all my shaves are done with an
SE. The Micromatic took a little getting used to because of it's inherent aggression. I found that tightening the blade down well and taking special care made the shaves BBS with little drama or blood :shock: .
J.
John N.
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

I had a G-bar that shaved exceptionally close, too close for comfort. My Schick injector is milder and shaves nearly as close. I've been looking for a DE that performs similarly but haven't found one.
Ron
SharpSpine

Post by SharpSpine »

Exclusive SE shaver here. I have three different SEs that vie for #1 based on factors that I haven't quite been able to determine yet. So in no particular order here are the 3 SEs that stay in use regularly for me...

-- GEM OCMM
-- EverReady Streamline
-- Cobra Classic
> Brian < Shave On & God Bless!!

Mongoose B1 + Hempel Spiral; Feather Pro
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Jack, you know that I've been known to wield a SE razor now and again. Approximately 2/3rds of my shaving is done with a SE.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

I use them almost exclusively; various Schick Injectors and the Cobra Classic.

Regards,
David
Regards,
David
malocchio

Post by malocchio »

1912 and a Micromatic for me...fine shaves with Gem or Treet blades.
changabang

Post by changabang »

ShadowsDad wrote:Jack, you know that I've been known to wield a SE razor now and again. Approximately 2/3rds of my shaving is done with a SE.

I'm curious to know what se's you use, since I know that you recently praised the "11 R41 for its aggressiveness. I don't find any of the Schick injectors aggressive at all. So do you use them, or maybe earlier twentieth century products?
James Nicks
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

changabang wrote:
ShadowsDad wrote:Jack, you know that I've been known to wield a SE razor now and again. Approximately 2/3rds of my shaving is done with a SE.

I'm curious to know what se's you use, since I know that you recently praised the "11 R41 for its aggressiveness. I don't find any of the Schick injectors aggressive at all. So do you use them, or maybe earlier twentieth century products?
I'm not a fan of injectors, though an adjustable I was loaned for a time gave a decent shave when cranked up, but it had no sound effects and I didn't care for the handle; that was 2 strikes. That was enough for me. No injectors here. I suspect, though really don't know that the Cobra suffers from the same 2, what to me are flaws. Hence, no curiousity.

What do I use? In no particular order:

GEM OCMM
ER '24
GEM Jr
ER '14
GEM 1912
Superior 1900 LC
ER '05-'07 LCs
Kampfe '13 LC

Milder and not used as much but they remain in my cabinet:
Valet Autostrop VC1
GEM Featherweight
Gem Damaskeene closed comb

I'd like to try a Streamline. Maybe someday I'll get motivated enough to buy one. But not today, or tomorrow. :)
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
changabang

Post by changabang »

Very interesting. Thanks. The only "old" SE I have is a "Star" with a hexagonal handle that has only been used a couple of times. Guess I don't like the box cutter type blades this razor uses.
James Nicks
SharpSpine

Post by SharpSpine »

changabang wrote:Very interesting. Thanks. The only "old" SE I have is a "Star" with a hexagonal handle that has only been used a couple of times. Guess I don't like the box cutter type blades this razor uses.
That will completely depend on if you actually used box cutter blades. :o
> Brian < Shave On & God Bless!!

Mongoose B1 + Hempel Spiral; Feather Pro
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

I've got a few of them and use them about 3 our of every 4 shaves when you consider all my SE and Injectors. Especially like the old lather catchers.

Check the link to my Shave Stuff in my sig.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

Brian,
The Cobra Classic handle is, to my thinking, not its strongest point for sure.

To my ear it's a "noisy" razor, though probably a bit quieter than the Gem OCMM.

I like the Cobra more than I thought I would; whether it's worth the price is still unclear to me.

jr/John
Enjoying wet shaving, again.
jr/John
brothers

Post by brothers »

I have two SE razors that provide outstanding shaves every time and I use them both frequently. There's the Gem Jr Bar lather catcher that provides very close shaves without feeling aggressive. SMF member Themba gave me some excellent advice regarding the best way to use the Gem. Part of the credit for the great shaves is due to the Gem PTFE stainless blades. I got some of mine from Pella, but the last order was from Connaught. My other favorite SE razor is of course, the Cobra Classic. The design is unique and quite effective. Again, part of the credit for the razor's performance is the Kai Captain Mild blade. I always look forward to the day these razors come up in the very small rotation. My experience with injector razors wasn't too fruitful. I found of the injectors to be much too mild (didn't shave as closely as I wanted.)
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

One of these days I may succumb but not today, and not tomorrow --- maybe next week???? :D
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
SRD

Post by SRD »

I use them frequently especially the old Schick Injectors.
Dave
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

I've used them for years, and joining this forum nudged me to acquire several models, including the "G," a couple of Micromatics, and an early Star razor with a wedge blade that Themba sharpened for me. I especially like SE's when I'm overdue for a shave.

I got my first Gem razor by sending $1 to American Safety Razor in the 1980's.

A bunch of people in the general public must be using them, since more than one drugstore chain carries the blades, despite many years of the razors being unavailable in stores.
brothers

Post by brothers »

There are tons of old injector and traditional single edge razors out there that can be bought for very reasonable prices. Antique stores, flea markets, and ebay.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
giammi

Post by giammi »

Also a 1912 and a Micromatic for me. I use them mostly with a GEM blade.
Then I also have a Rolls Razor, which I have not used for some time.
I think I also have a 1886 Kampfe razor that I have never used.

These days I am using more a Schick Injector with Schick blades.
Giammi

Camminare sul filo del rasoio