2nd-generation Tradere safety bar razor

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
kingfisher

2nd-generation Tradere safety bar razor

Post by kingfisher »

Gentlemen:

I have a second-generation Tradere safety bar razor on the way to me (in transit even as I type this). I bought a first-generation handle a long time ago (when they first came out) and I use it with a FaTip head, a Tech head, and a Stahly head. I really love the original handle.

Finally took the plunge for the whole razor.

Anybody have one of these? Tried one of these? Have it in the rotation? What are your thoughts about this razor?

Thanks in advance.
"If we had steak, we could have steak and eggs, if we had some eggs."
marsos52

Re: 2nd-generation Tradere safety bar razor

Post by marsos52 »

I don't have one. I have two, ha, I bought version one and version two. both these razors changed how I feel about razors. I've used three different models of Merkur's since I began shaving with de razors back in the 70's. started with a slant and then moved to a Futur around 1999 and also a Barberpole. I tired many other models and brands and nothing won me over till last year when I started using Tradere's. Bye Bye Merkur hello Tradere.

best razor I ever used,
marc
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

marc, thanks for your input. It makes me even more excited to get the razor.
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

I should have mentioned in my post reply that I have used/owned some really fine razors just mention a few, icon, Edwin jagger, mulhle, others that I can't bring to mind at the moment.
all have worked for me but after some time I went back to the merkurs. until the tradere, I'm completely won over. these razors are so well made and the heads cover the blade ends which I really like. the head holds the blade perfectly and the handle (as you already know) is a thing of beauty on its own. as aggressive as version one is I honestly can say I have never nicked myself or made any weepers either. that's how smooth a shave the Tradere shave is. one thing I did learn that's a must do. after you shave and clean the razor loosen the razor head. because the head kinda seals the blade and any water can't be naturally released. so the blade well rust. loosen the head a turn or two and all is good.

marc
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I do like the head design.
Regards,
Squire
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

marc,

thanks for the hint about loosening the head. I was actually thinking about removing the blade after each shave after I read so many horror stories about people spending top dollar on stainless steel razors only to have them get rusted by leaving wet blades in them.
OleDub

Post by OleDub »

marsos52 wrote:I don't have one. I have two, ha, I bought version one and version two. both these razors changed how I feel about razors. I've used three different models of Merkur's since I began shaving with de razors back in the 70's. started with a slant and then moved to a Futur around 1999 and also a Barberpole. I tired many other models and brands and nothing won me over till last year when I started using Tradere's. Bye Bye Merkur hello Tradere.

best razor I ever used,
marc

About to make the move from a Futur myself. I have only ever used a JE89 and a Futur (which is a great razor). I settled on the Tradere because of the great reviews. Now it's nice to know that the upgrade is worth it.
John the 'Dub
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

Well, the Tradere arrived in yesterday's mail. What a beautiful razor!

This morning I fired it up for its maiden voyage. Nice, smooth two-pass plus touch-up shave. I've never used a razor with a head this long (the head literally completely envelopes the blade). It's weird being able to tighten the handle while holding onto the narrow sides of the razor head and not having to worry about injuring myself on the blade tabs.

Anyway, it was a very smooth feeling shave. I was a bit worried that I'd have a hard time finding the proper angle. In the past I have tended to prefer razors that bend the blade significantly. But I didn't have any problem at all finding the right angle. Something about the way the bottom plate is designed gives the razor a very smooth feel on the face.

The blade gap is quite large, but the exposure is minimal, which makes for a nice, moderate aggression.

I'm only one shave in, but already I can tell that the Tradere is going to end up being one of my favorite razors.
brothers

Post by brothers »

This sounds like a nice modern razor. I think I've read several posts written by the owner of the brand. There's a tremendous amount of effort and expense involved, for sure.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

congrats to you kingfisher,

back when I got my first Tradere I posted here and didn't get to much response. for what reason I have no idea.
I was kind of surprised because when the Feather and Icon and Pils, Weber and Top of the tie (I think that's what its called) came out they were in the same price area
and they get a lot more attention at SMF.

Hopefully now maybe the Tradere will stir up others and they will learn what we already know.
these are not only a well made and good looking razor. although they are. but these razors are shaving perfection, and that's whats most important.

marc
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

marsos52 wrote:congrats to you kingfisher,

back when I got my first Tradere I posted here and didn't get to much response. for what reason I have no idea.
I was kind of surprised because when the Feather and Icon and Pils, Weber and Top of the tie (I think that's what its called) came out they were in the same price area
and they get a lot more attention at SMF.

Hopefully now maybe the Tradere will stir up others and they will learn what we already know.
these are not only a well made and good looking razor. although they are. but these razors are shaving perfection, and that's whats most important.

marc
It's Above the Tie, marc, and I think they're actually more expensive than the Tradere.

I agree with you that the Tradere deserves more attention and recognition. It's just an outstanding razor.
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

I have continued to shave with the Tradere. This morning I put it on the first-generation handle. I actually think it balances better with the earlier handle, but the difference, if it really exists, is subtle.

Not sure if this is the best razor ever made, or whether I'm just in a honeymoon phase. Either way, I'm a happy camper.
RonCall

Post by RonCall »

kingfisher wrote:Not sure if this is the best razor ever made, or whether I'm just in a honeymoon phase. Either way, I'm a happy camper.
Glad you like it. It might very well be the best razor for you. I really loved it but after a while it ended up lying there and seeing not that much use anymore (my Feather DX and Kai razors are just my favorites, no other razor has been able to top them).
“I’m just a spiritual being having a human experience”
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

for me the honeymoon has never ended, wish I could say that about my .... lol

I do see and feel a difference between version one and two, love them both, version one shaves closer, noticeably
marc
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

Just an update.....

Still enjoying my Tradere SB razor. I've tried it on the second-generation handle, the first-generation handle, and on a custom UFO I had made for me. It's good on all handles.

It seems a little head-heavy on the handle that came with it; that "problem" is easily solved by going with either the original Tradere handle or my UFO. I really like it on the UFO, but then I used it this morning on its own handle and it worked great. I guess it's a good problem to have, not being able to figure out which handle makes the head shine the most. :mrgreen:
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

Just got my Tradere SB a couple of days ago and I love it. Beautifully-machined, much better-looking in reality than in the photos, and a superb, quick, moderately aggressive but extremely smooth shaver. I too thought it might be tricky to find the angle with that flat (rather than curved, like the Merkurs) blade position, but no.

Can't say I've ever really agreed with the idea that the razor makes the least difference of all the components (blade, soap etc.). There are some razors I just can't shave worth a damn with. Others are pretty good. Only one was superb from the very first shave: my Progress. Now the Tradere joins it. (And, gosh, but the Progress looks scruffily-put-together beside the Tradere.)

Expensive? Yes. Money well spent? Also, yes. I won't even add the traditional caveat of YMMV, because I bet it won't, whether you're just starting out or a grizzled old dork with around 13,500 shaves under his belt. (Good god. That's an entire working year devoted to smoothing my damn jaw. Rum bugger, life.)
Michael

People say it's never too late. How wrong they are. --Felix Dennis
changabang

Post by changabang »

Never been tempted to acquire this razor, as it reminds me too much of the Pils I have and rarely use, and the ikon S3S, well, half of it, anyway, ditto. I'm sure it's finely made, as reported, just no need to duplicate what I already have buried in the nether regions of my den. Love the handle, though.
James Nicks
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

Micheal:

Yes, it's that good from the get-go, and it doesn't get worse over time, at least for me. The reason I enjoyed it so much the first few shaves was not because I was in a "honeymoon" period, it was because it's an outstanding razor.

I have been using it nearly every day since I bought it. I tried my lonely Progress a few days ago because I felt sorry for it. I liked it OK, but it just made me appreciate the Tradere all that much more.

At this point I am seriously considering selling all of my other razors and just sticking with the Tradere. Beautiful and BY FAR the smooooothest shaving razor I have ever tried. Congrats on your purchase. Well worth the coin.
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

changabang wrote:Never been tempted to acquire this razor, as it reminds me too much of the Pils I have and rarely use, and the ikon S3S, well, half of it, anyway, ditto. I'm sure it's finely made, as reported, just no need to duplicate what I already have buried in the nether regions of my den. Love the handle, though.
I've never tried the Pils, but the Tradere is no S3S, that's for sure. I tried the S3S. The Tradere is head and shoulders above the S3S in every way, in my opinion.