Same Razor New Blade, Different Result

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Ouchmychin

Same Razor New Blade, Different Result

Post by Ouchmychin »

This am I loaded my fatboy with a new 7 O'clock Sharpedge (from St. Petersburg). The previous blade from the same package in the same razor, same settings same procedure gave me wonderful shaves with no pulling etc. This blade pulled from the get go. Scraped instead of cutting. My face feels raw this afternoon. I guess there are duds in every brand but I must admit I was surprised by the dramatic shift in results. Needless to say I'm tossing that blade.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
Whistler

Re: Same Razor New Blade, Different Result

Post by Whistler »

I have had the same experience Pete, good and bad blades in the same pack.
Regards,
Marty
---------------------------------------------------

"Be still! Me mind is a raging torrent flooded with rivulets of thought cascading in a waterfall of creative alternatives."
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Same here but I suspect it was good and bad days on my part.
Regards,
Squire
JarmoP

Post by JarmoP »

I am with Squire in here. The way DE blade are manufactured, they are usually consistent in quality.
We as shavers are not not so constant many times. Bad shaves can happen sometimes with just a tiniest change in our routine.
Jarmo
brothers

Post by brothers »

Operator error is usually denied, but almost always at fault. Speaking only for myself? Nope.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

It happens to me occasionally, and I always blame the blade. Toss it and get a new one. Next shave will be awesome. Always works out that way for me. 8)
"If we had steak, we could have steak and eggs, if we had some eggs."
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

I think both are possible. A simple test is to make as simple a shaving operation as possible, such as pulling the blade down your cheek with little or no pressure on the head. That should eliminate the possibility of operator error.
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

As someone suggested,it was easier and cheaper to toss and replace the blade.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Life is short, blades are cheap.
Regards,
Squire
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Squire wrote:Life is short, blades are cheap.
Thankfully.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

I agree with Paul that either is possible but if one is experianced and using a razor one is familiar with, chances are it's the blade, IMO. It seems clear to me that, overall, quality control with DE blades is not what it was 30 years ago when most blades were still being manufactured in the US or western Europe and when the companies were still competing with each other for a considerable market share. In my experiance, blades from this era ( 1970s and '80s ) are very consistant, hardly ever a 'dud'. I didn't say 'never' but it's been VERY rare in all the years that I've used these blades. The more recent specimens that I've tried have had bad blades come up much more frequently. And there's been noticeable differences in this regard depending upon the brand. One of the positive attributes of those Personna blades made in their Israeli plant has been that they seem quite consistant whereas those numbers coming out of St. Petersburg seem to vary much more often as an example.
Regards,
Gordon