Ikon ShaveCraft 101 Razor Head

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
vferdman

Ikon ShaveCraft 101 Razor Head

Post by vferdman »

I had my first shave with SC 101 head on top of RR Little Bastone handle. The head works very well, but I wish it was OC on both sides. The SB side shaves very well, but if you favor OC at all, you will be avoiding the SB side like I did. I think the two sides are equal in aggressiveness and are on a mild side, but not super-mild. With only one shave it's hard to pin the aggressiveness. Suffice it to say I loaded a Perma-Sharp (1) blade in and it felt smooth and comfortable. A head like RR/Cadet OC or Fatip would not feel great with a sharp blade like that, so that's saying something. The OC side of the razor is just wonderful. It is smooth and predictable. The angle is a bit steeper than a RR/Cadet OC, but very slightly. It's a really excellent design. I really hope Ikon comes out with a symmetric head with the OC of this head on both sides. The SB side is very good also, don't get me wrong. It's very good, but as an OC fan I just tended to avoid it after a few strokes. It shaves well, but the lather is mostly scraped away ahead of the blade edge and the feel is just different. It's actually kind of cool to have the two personalities in the same razor in order to understand the subtle differences of the two designs. However, in day to day shaving I know where my preference is and it's with OC side. I really would love to have this head with OC on both sides. I hope Greg is reading this, but I think I will write directly to Ikon with this suggestion. As more people try this head I think there will be much more demand for two separate symmetric heads.

The construction design is absolutely stunningly beautiful. It's like an architectural work of art. Both sides are beautiful in their own way. This definitely is one of the most beautiful razor heads I've held.

Here are some pictures.

Today's SOTD

Top view of the base plate

OC side detail

SB side detail

Side view: SB on the left, OC on the right

Bottom of the base plate

On the handle: OC side detail

On the handle: SB side detail
kingfisher

Re: Ikon ShaveCraft 101 Razor Head

Post by kingfisher »

thanks for nice write-up and beautiful photos. I'm very interested in this head, for some reason. I tried one iKon in the past and didn't care for it much, but this one really has me salivating.

I notice that you didn't use it with its handle. Did you buy the head separately? If so, could you tell us where you got it and how much it cost? I have two Tradere handles and a UFO, so I would love to be able to purchase the head by itself.

Thanks again.
"If we had steak, we could have steak and eggs, if we had some eggs."
vferdman

Post by vferdman »

I have purchased this head as a "Marked" or "blemished" product from Ikon website a few days ago. It was head only for $25, which is why I jumped on it. I have an Ikon Bulldog handle that I really like a lot and use on many razors. So I figured this would be a perfect match for it. When the head arrived I saw the blemishes and they are in the pictures above. Very insignificant bubbling on the underside of the base plate and some imperfections in the top plate in the form of a tiny line or groove. Those may not even shown up on the photos. They are very minor and I was totally okay with the way the head looked for a "blemished" discounted product. However, when I tried to put my beloved Ikon Bulldog on the head it did not go on easily and I ended up partially stripping the threads on the head to the point where I can no longer use the Ikon handle with this head. I tried my EJ Barley Chrome handle and same thing with that one. Finally, my RazoRock/Cadet Little Bastone handle was able to tighten up the head perfectly and that's what I used today. I contacted Ikon and they responded almost instantly and are sending me another top plate. I could not wait for the replacement and gave the head a try with the RR handle. It's actually a very good handle. Brass, chrome plates and very hefty and well-knurled. In general I find RazoRock/Cadet razors to be of outstanding value. They are very inexpensive and shave very well (I only have experience with their OC heads and TTO). So the inexpensive RazoRock/Cadet handle saved the day today with the SC 101 head.

As I said above, the head is a work of art. It is beautiful, shaves well and I am sure when production run units emerge they will not have all the "problems". This was most likely some sort of pilot run and mostly these are perfect.
slantman

Post by slantman »

Very nice review and beautiful pictures. I received my Shave Craft head today and will try it out with a Shave Craft bulldog handle tomorrow. Mine is loaded with a Gillette Super Thin and I can't wait for the big test. The head was sold as slightly blemished but I can't find any marks on mine. What a great deal for $25. It appears the heads are no longer for sale as is but will be sold as a complete razor for about $70 starting in November by authorized iKon dealers.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Vferdman, thank you for the review and the helpful photos!

I should be done buying razors, but this one has me intrigued if it is truly mild. My big discovery of late is the Mergress/Progress at its mildest setting. It's just gentle enough and just aggressive enough. More aggressive than that and it really won't work for me.

I'm watching the development of the Huntlee razors also, though I fear that they will be too aggressive for me.

- Murray
vferdman

Post by vferdman »

CMur12 wrote:Vferdman, thank you for the review and the helpful photos!

I should be done buying razors, but this one has me intrigued if it is truly mild. My big discovery of late is the Mergress/Progress at its mildest setting. It's just gentle enough and just aggressive enough. More aggressive than that and it really won't work for me.

I'm watching the development of the Huntlee razors also, though I fear that they will be too aggressive for me.

- Murray
Murray, SC 101 is definitely more aggressive than Progress set to mildest setting. In fact, I don't think I can think of a razor I tried that is as mild as that. Perhaps Gillette Tech, but I think even that has more bite than Progress on '1'. I would say stick with the Progress. It is my absolute desert island razor. It covers such a range of shaving experiences that I can't see how anyone wouldn't be able to get a perfect shave from it. I use mine on '4' these days, but I've been on an open comb kick and I really enjoy a moderately aggressive RazoRock OC and lately I discovered that with a mild blade like a Derby it delivers some of the best shaves I've ever had. I would say the SC 101 is milder than the RazoRock/Cadet OC. I would put it about 2.5-3 on Progress scale, but that is based on one shave with the 101 and not really scientific at all. Just seat of pants estimate. It is most definitely more aggressive than Progress on lowest setting, that much I can tell you for sure. SC 101 is more like an EJ or Merkur safety bar razors. At least in that neighborhood. I would actually have preferred if it was touch more aggressive, but it's a fine shaver and a pleasure to look at. The design is stunning and the execution of the design is precise.

I should be done buying razors also, but this one at $25 just couldn't be passed up. Honestly, I don't think this will be my daily driver. Those duties are shared between my Progress and my various open combs: RazoRock/Cadet OC, New Deluxe, New long comb, New Improved, Fatip for when I want I real aggressive shave. The SC 101 is neither here nor there for me, like my first DE, EJ DE89 Barley Chrome. Great shaver, but too mild. I just hang onto it because it's my first DE. The SC 101 is just gorgeous and I will hang on to that and shave with it some more to forma better opinion on how it is for me. I am not crazy about the split personality either. I really like the OC side and the SB side is okay, but not really doing much for me. I ended up avoiding using it after initial few strokes. Again, this is just one shave and as I put more miles on it I'll solidify my feelings about this razor head. So far I like it, but more for the incredible design and fabrication. The shave is smooth, but not blow-away amazing for me. Just a good mild/moderate razor. Honestly, my best shaver besides Progress is RazoRock OC, which cost $20. The other day I put together a Frnakenrazor using Fatip base plate and top cap from a vintage Hallmark DE I picked up at a local antique store. This allowed me to use the Ikon bulldog I have and that created what I think may be my new goto setup for mild blades. That with a Derby (4) produced an incredible BBS in 3+ passes last time I used it. This was also just one shave, but it was far and away better result than with SC 101. So if results are to go by, SC 101 has not surpassed a $20 RazoRock and a similarly low priced Frankenrazor I put together with Fatip and Hallmark.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Thanks for the reply with the comparisons, vferdman!

My Mergress at minimum setting (a little to the left of "1") definitely has more bite than an American Tech (post WW II), yet it doesn't behave like a mild razor with a really narrow blade gap. It feels gentler than an Edwin Jagger, but possibly more effective. I shave occasionally with Edwin Jaggers and Webers, but I can't use them consistently. I'm relieved to hear that this lovely iKon probably isn't for me. :)

- Murray
vferdman

Post by vferdman »

I just had a second shave with SC 101 today. I really like it! I especially like the OC side. It is smoother and glides better. The efficiency is about the same on both sides, but because of better glide on the OC side it feels more efficient on the OC side. Both sides shave extremely well and feel mild. Despite the mild feel the action is very positive and efficient. It's a really good razor. I would highly encourage Ikon to produce two separate models (in addition to this one) that are symmetric. One with OC on both sides and one with SB on both sides. I think they are different enough to be two different razors. I would buy two symmetric OC versions and forget about other DEs, I think. It's that good for me.

As for Progress, I would never, ever get rid of it. Ever. Even if I love the SC 101 head and shave with it every day I will always own a Progress. It is like owning a Swiss Army Knife of DE razors. Sometimes I need a mild shave and, as Murray pointed out set at mild setting Progress is still extremely efficient. Set higher it just capable of blowing away almost any DE out there. As I said before, if Progress had an OC version I would only own one razor.
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

To me the Progress is a entirely different beast from any of my other razors. The feel is completely different, no matter what the setting.

The only down side of the Progress is that the blade tends to load improperly, so I have to tweak it so the exposure is the same on both sides. I find this particularly annoying.
vferdman

Post by vferdman »

kingfisher wrote:To me the Progress is a entirely different beast from any of my other razors. The feel is completely different, no matter what the setting.

The only down side of the Progress is that the blade tends to load improperly, so I have to tweak it so the exposure is the same on both sides. I find this particularly annoying.
The blade issue you mention is not unique to Progress. In fact almost every DE with "bullet" style plate interface is guilty of this issue in some form. Some are a bit more precise than others and even in the same model razor there are variations from individual to individual. Progress is pretty sloppy and does allow the blade to be clamped askew, but so does 34C, EJ, and any number of vintage Gillettes that have the bullets style interface. I just chalk this up to the design "feature" and leave it at that. It's easy enough to deal with as long as one is aware of this issue. Just align the blade before tightening the head up and you're good to go.

SC 101 I have is better than average bullet style DE, but still has an issue. It's much better about keeping the blade parallel to the edge of the head and I think this is due to the wonderful idea of extending the long side of the head such that it is flush with the blade's sides. The blade does not protrude from the sides of the razor. This more or less ensures that the blade will be square in the head as most of us tend to hold the short side of the head as we tighten it. This squares the blade up nicely in most cases. Having said that, I'll also state that SC 101 does allow the blade to be clamped unevenly exposing more of the blade on one side than the other. Again, easy to deal with, but it can and does happen. Again, the bullet registration is not that precise. The more precise slot and bar in the center such as in the Gillette New, Gillette Tech and some other Ikons is way more precise and keeps the blade more centered and square. Still, this is nitpicking and really minor. Just know that the blade alignment issue on the Progress exists in just about every DE with bullet style interface.
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

Oh, I know. Fully aware. It still annoys me a little, but maybe it shouldn't.

My current favorite razor, the Tradere SB, aligns the blade dead nuts every time, as do my Fatboy and my Tech, as you know.

I haven't shaved with the Progress for quite some time. Maybe I should pull it out and give it a whirl tomorrow morning.
vferdman

Post by vferdman »

kingfisher wrote:Oh, I know. Fully aware. It still annoys me a little, but maybe it shouldn't.

My current favorite razor, the Tradere SB, aligns the blade dead nuts every time, as do my Fatboy and my Tech, as you know.

I haven't shaved with the Progress for quite some time. Maybe I should pull it out and give it a whirl tomorrow morning.
Yeah, don't let the blade alignment issue on Progress bother you. It is an amazingly well designed shaving head. Once your blade is in and setting set to what you like it just works amazingly well. Every time. I also like the fact that it is not picky about blades at all. I have yet to find a blade that doesn't work well in it. Also, I find that after about four shaves on a blade when I usually throw the blade away, I can dial the Progress one notch up and use the blade for another 2-3 shaves with amazing results, possibly better than with a new blade. That's just my experience and this is very YMMV, but as the blade gets duller I find I enjoy using it on a more aggressive setting (or in more aggressive razor). Not that I try to squeeze the last bit of use out of a blade, but still it's nice to know that a single razor can take the blade beyond what would be normal use. Progress is a fantastic razor and there is a reason it has been around for a long time without much change. It just works and works well. The manufacturing process could be tightened up on it and I think it could become a legend if it were open comb, but as it is, it's a pretty excellent shaver and not all that expensive if you keep in mind you are buying a range of razors in this one.
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Is the Mergress mod worth the extra money? I for one actually like the looks of the Progress plastic handle tip, but the oft-mentioned dial-adjustment issues would make me consider the more refined (and robust looking) upgrade. The question of any overly aggressive tendencies has been answered by Murray's use of the razor on a low setting.
Ron
vferdman

Post by vferdman »

rsp1202 wrote:Is the Mergress mod worth the extra money? I for one actually like the looks of the Progress plastic handle tip, but the oft-mentioned dial-adjustment issues would make me consider the more refined (and robust looking) upgrade. The question of any overly aggressive tendencies has been answered by Murray's use of the razor on a low setting.
I have considered a Mergress mod when I first got the Progress simply because I loved the razor so much I wanted to embellish it. However, once I cooled down. I realized the mode is unnecessary and I too happen to like the white knob. What I did on mine is I took a super fine 600 grit paper to the knob and wet sanded the sharp edges off so the knob feels smoother and looks a bit more precise. It's a subtle change, but very easy to make and make s big difference in hand feel. As far as dial, that's simply a non-issue. First of all, not all misaligned dials can be adjusted my the Mer mod, second, there is simply no reason to do anything about this non-issue. If the fully tightened razor with a blade does not align to '1' on the index dot on the handle, simply (mentally or with a scratch awl) move the index mark to the place where '1' happens to fall when razor is fully tightened. Now your Progress is perfectly calibrated. Adjust your settings based on that new index mark instead of the factory one. That is all there is to it.

We should probably start a Progress thread and not hijack this SC 101 thread, though. I'll be happy to contribute in the Progress thread as I have lots of love and experience with that razor.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Just a few days ago I got a new Shavecraft 101 3 piece razor from IKON. I had read that some guys find it a bit mild, so right out of the box I've been using a shim. The shaves it provides in this configuration are very close and smooth, not at all harsh or too aggressive. I really like the weight and the heft of the razor in use. The balance and overall length feels about right. The handle's knurling is quite substantial, and keeps the razor secure in case water or lather might find their way down the handle. This is one of those razors that just feel and perform up to, and maybe in this case, exceeding my expectations. The price was reasonable too.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
vferdman

Post by vferdman »

brothers wrote:Just a few days ago I got a new Shavecraft 101 3 piece razor from IKON. I had read that some guys find it a bit mild, so right out of the box I've been using a shim. The shaves it provides in this configuration are very close and smooth, not at all harsh or too aggressive. I really like the weight and the heft of the razor in use. The balance and overall length feels about right. The handle's knurling is quite substantial, and keeps the razor secure in case water or lather might find their way down the handle. This is one of those razors that just feel and perform up to, and maybe in this case, exceeding my expectations. The price was reasonable too.
Gary, enjoy the SC-101! It's a great razor if it works for you. I love the Ikon handles, I have a bulldog myself that I use on most of my 3 piece razors. The SC-101 head was too mild for me and I sold it. I don't like to use shims. Just me, but I find that if I have to use a shim, I'll use my Progress instead and get a fantastic shave of just the right aggressiveness for me THAT moment, you know? I did find SC-101 superbly crafted and a super smooth shaver. The coating on the head, whatever it is must be responsible. If it were a tad more aggressive and OC on both sides I'd be all over it. I really love the OC side of the SC-101.

Enjoy in good health!