Shavecraft 101 razor from IKON

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
brothers

Re: Shavecraft 101 razor from IKON

Post by brothers »

Dex, I take a pair of scissors to a DE blade and cut off the edges. They will be placed between the shaving blade and the bottom plate, increasing the gap between the cutting edge and the safety bar.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Stubblefield

Post by Stubblefield »

brothers wrote:Dex, I take a pair of scissors to a DE blade and cut off the edges. They will be placed between the shaving blade and the bottom plate, increasing the gap between the cutting edge and the safety bar.
Thanks Gary, I will store that away for future reference and may have to give it a try. I like the 101, for all its mildness it is a very efficient shaver. I do get a bug for more aggressive razors from time to time, this might just save me from buying an Ikon solid bar baseplate.
Dex
brothers

Post by brothers »

I've been using the SC 101 razor with the Personna hu blade and shims for the past 2 or 3 days or so. I think I've posted more about this particular razor than any other, in a shorter period of time. The close and smooth shaves are probably the best and most consistent of any other razor, with the exception of the Trac II and the Noxzema/Kai Twin cartridges. I would not have anticipated this, and I consider myself fortunate to have discovered this one.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
brothers

Post by brothers »

I stripped the threads on the top plate, and now the handle won't tighten. I've emailed Greg to find out if a replacement is available. I'd hate to go to the expense of buying a new razor. I'm hoping I can get just the top plate.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

It's been about 8 days since I sent off an email to Greg at IKON to see if maybe he's got a replacement top plate to sell me. I haven't received any response, and maybe that's because maybe he sent a replacement, which would consume at least a week or more. I'll be back around to post the outcome, eventually. Meanwhile, I'm using the vintage Punktal 101, on which Greg based his design for the Shavecraft 101. When viewed side by side, there are some minor differences between the old and the new. Worse comes to worst, I can buy a new one or a used one on the forums.
Gary

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Worst comes to worst you can use another razor.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Punktal 101 it is. :D
Gary

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

There 'ya go.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

A couple of days ago I got a replacement and used it two days in a row. Use one shim last night and both of them tonight. Back to perfection. By the way I never heard back from my email to Greg at IKON asking him if he'd sell me a replacement. Doesn't matter now, does it! Hopefully I won't strip my threads again.
Gary

greyhawk

Post by greyhawk »

Glad that replacement is working for you, Gary! :wink:
brothers

Post by brothers »

greyhawk wrote:Glad that replacement is working for you, Gary! :wink:
:D !
Gary