Self sharpening 2,000 shave razor? THOUGHTS?!

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Beardo

Self sharpening 2,000 shave razor? THOUGHTS?!

Post by Beardo »

Post deleted by moderator.
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Re: Self sharpening 2,000 shave razor? THOUGHTS?!

Post by Pauldog »

My first thoughts are - does it really work, and is it priced according to the cost of materials, or to the amount of blade money it's supposed to save?

My next thought is - if it's a stainless blade, and uncoated (since it gets sharpened regularly), wouldn't it hurt your face?

And then - how much financial interest does the OP have in this product?
Beardo

Post by Beardo »

Pauldog wrote:My first thoughts are - does it really work, and is it priced according to the cost of materials, or to the amount of blade money it's supposed to save?
My next thought is - if it's a stainless blade, and uncoated (since it gets sharpened regularly), wouldn't it hurt your face?
And then - how much financial interest does the OP have in this product?
Good questions. I have no idea of the answers, except for this one:

Post deleted by moderator.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Honestly, There are too many words here, and no description of what it is and no pictures. This sounds more like a promotional bulletin (you forgot to change the name ShaveNook to SMF where it first appeared above), and doesn't sound much like the normal posts we expect to see here. You asked for my feedback and thoughts. No offense intended. Without a description and some pictures, I don't know how any of us here can provide anything specific. Let me ask you, seriously, what kind of a response are you hoping to get?
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Beardo

Post by Beardo »

Post edited by moderator.

I'm curious to get as many diverse perspectives and opinions as possible. Have I looked up this this topic around the web, including on other shaving sites and social webs? Of course. Wouldn't you?
brothers

Post by brothers »

OK, I think I understand. You're addressing the company, not the specific product.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

I spend about $50.00 a year on blades. At the pre-production cost of $370.00 it will take me 7.4 years to break even.

and, that's just one thing to consider, what happens in 5 years if the cleaning/sharpening unit needs replacing, or the razor handle breaks, or need to change the blade because of a burr?
will Born Sharp be around?

to me, it is a modern day version of the Rolls Razor. Without the cool factor.
brothers

Post by brothers »

They'd be looking for customers who don't already own one or more razors and enough blades to last 5 years. That's money already spent on goods in the hand. The biggie is does it shave me as well as my 80 year old Barbasol and my brand new Shavecraft 101? What if I buy one and it's as meek and mild as most other razors, which don't fill the bill for me? Razor blades that lose their edge and need to be replaced have never bothered me in the slightest. I wouldn't be a buyer.
Gary

cjc15153

Post by cjc15153 »

The product they are offering does not make economic sense. Most likely they are producing an intereslyingly inferior product, but maybe a freshly ground uncoated SS blade really does give a superior shave that justifies the price.

I recall that Kav once suggested the possibility of shaving with obsidian. Ted Pella charges quite a bit for their sapphire microtome blade, and nearly as much to sharpen it. If this sort of mechanism made exotic blade materials feasable, then I could see a market. But who is going to spend $400 for the joy of using 25¢ of steel for 5 years?
--
I am Chris #6. No relation to Nikki.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Beardo wrote: I'm curious to get as many diverse perspectives and opinions as possible. Have I looked up this this topic around the web, including on other shaving sites and social webs? Of course. Wouldn't you?
Don't need to, a one time purchase lifetime use razor has already been on the market for a couple thousand years now . . . it's called a straight razor.
Regards,
Squire