Finally-Got my Birth Year Super Speed

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Bob in TX

Finally-Got my Birth Year Super Speed

Post by Bob in TX »

I finally got my 1950 Birth Year 40's Style Super Speed to go with my Birth Year Tech. I was able to pick it up for $15 proving that there are still deals to be had if you are patient. First shave tomorrow.........

My Birth Year Tech

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Re: Finally-Got my Birth Year Super Speed

Post by fallingwickets »

use in good health!

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Bob, what's the date code on the SS?
Ron
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Cool!

Enjoy it!
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I have a couple of significantly dated razors ----- they are a neat point of reference when you think you are using something that was made when you were born. And vintage Gillettes are a true testimony of the test of time.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
flintlock

Post by flintlock »

WOW Bob! That's Beautiful! Enjoy it.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Nice razors, Bob!

I never actually obtained any birth year razors, myself, which in my case would be 1951 (code W).

As far as I know, Gillette started date-coding in 1951, so I'm curious as to how you know your razors are from 1950(?).

- Murray
Bob in TX

Post by Bob in TX »

Actually, Gillette started dating later in 1950 with a "V". Mine does not have a date code. I am not an expert, but the ones I checked with first narrowed it to 1948-1950 and then to 1950 because of the notching. That is as close as you can get with 1950.
smoothshaver

Post by smoothshaver »

Very nice razors, Bob.
Use them in good health.
-Ed
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Bob, Well, I appreciate your dilemma....and your way of 'solving' it ( chuckle ). The Super Speeds from '48 on all have notched center bars. I too was interested in getting a useable razor from my birth year ( 1948 ) and also have a very nice SS that I mainly use nowdays when I travel. I always say it is from my birth year but the truth is, it could be from '49 or '50 also.....but I DECLARE it to be a 1948 SS, so there! Enjoy yours!
Regards,
Gordon
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Very good Bob, hope you enjoy it.
Regards,
Squire
harper

Post by harper »

I was born in 1930 and I have no interest in shaving with a 1930 razor. I'll stick with my Futur and my Power ProGlide.

My son was born in 1970 and I happened to be in London a few years later and found out that 1970 was declared a vintage port so I laid down a case of 1970 port of the year he was born with instructions for it to be given to him on his 21st birthday. I liked (and so did he) the idea of his receiving a case of wine on his 21st as old as he was. It was well enjoyed.
Bob in TX

Post by Bob in TX »

Well, I enjoy shaving with 50-60 year old razors. :D

Great idea on the Port! I love it. I got hooked on good Port while in Portugal on a vacation.

I had my 3rd shave with it today. Great razor.

harper

Post by harper »

Not put too fine a point on it but I would be using an 83-year old razor so 50-60 is for kids.

Seriously, I am quite happy with my Futur which gives me terrific shaves using a pedestrian Derby blade. In fact, Derby's seem
to work better for me than any other blades although I get terrific shaves with a Power ProFusion and would use it a lot more
but I resent the prices Gillette charges for the cartridges.

I never got hooked on Port but I discovered white Port on a trip to Portugal and wonder why it has never caught on in
North America. They keep it chilled in Portugal and it is quite a nice drink on a hot day.

Enjoy your razor. I tell my wife that while women get older men get distinguished so maybe that applies to razors, too.
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

That's great Bob! Both of your razors look like they are in fine shape!
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Well Bob, they do, afterall, sell a bit of 'White Port' in the US but it's not exactly what one would call 'vintage' ( chuckle ). FWIW I think that 1930 razors are a bit too old even for me.
Regards,
Gordon
Bob in TX

Post by Bob in TX »

I also enjoyed the White Port, but have not had any Stateside. Now y'all will have me in the liquor stores when I go to San Antonio tomorrow picking up a new bottle of Port. I also brought back 4 crystal Port glasses from Portugal which enhance the experience. I might add that the Portugese people are some of the nicest, happiest, and big-hearted folks anywhere.

I had my 4th shave today with the new Super Speed using a Viking Sword. All four shaves have been smooth, close, and nick free. I think I will hang on to it......... :mrgreen:

brothers

Post by brothers »

My birth year razors are a Ranger Tech and an Aristocrat. I wish there was some way to determine year of manufacture for my straight razors. That would be interesting.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

White Port? Only heard about it, the real thing I mean. No, I don't think that one will catch on absent celebrity endorsement.
Regards,
Squire
harper

Post by harper »

About as close to having a razor my age is an old Canadian razor Gold Gillette razor that was made about 1933 (I am 1930) that I somehow collected during my early work with Gillette. It comes in a gold case with a blue lining and it is a two-piece razor. It includes a gold blade case with four old (original mini-sized) Blue Blades. I have never used it and see no reason to. Still, I keep it around in pristine shape because of its age. From what I can tell it was made in Canada and likely for the Canadian market.

I have no idea why the port companies have not pushed white port in North America but there must be a reason because nobody knows their businesses like those in the alcoholic beverage business. Port, despite the varieties there are, still has a connotation in much of the world as an old man's drink that causes gout so I can see why pretty little twenty things might not want to drink it. Still, it is wonderful with Stilton and can finish off an evening very nicely and leave you in excellent condition to shave the next morning ... something that a lot of others can make a shaky proposition.

A number of shaving devices came out over the years but didn't last. Eventually the safety razor killed the market for straights (I know some still use them but I don't know of anybody except those who post on this board say they do; it is not a growth industry), stainless blades killed the carbon blade market entirely, in the wealthier nations TRAC11 and its multi-blade pawn killed the DE razor market (I am not arguing this is good or bad just that it happened) and I wonder what will come next. It may turn out to be an entirely different approach to shaving, one that none of us have any inklings about. Gillette is always testing new shaving methods (they call them systems mostly) so they may surprise us. I doubt that the answer will be found in more blades per cartridge and there is no convincing evidence that men are going back to DE blade shaving because cartridge razors are where it is at now in the affluent countries. There are now 3 cohorts that have grown up since TRAC11 was introduced and most shavers today use cartridge razors and know nothing about them ... about what I know of straights ... only that they exist and you have to learn a technique to use them. I had relatives until the 1970s who still used straights but they were aberrations.

So, this is 2014, what will men (and women) being shaving with 100 years from now and will anybody look back at a ProGlide with feelings of nostalgia? I would not bet a nickel on it.