Noxema Disposables Have Changed?

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Ouchmychin

Noxema Disposables Have Changed?

Post by Ouchmychin »

A couple days ago I visited our local Dollar Tree store and decided to pick up some more of the Noxzema razors that have been reviewed recently. When I went through the binn all the razors were slightly different. The pink blade guard is now clear colorless. The lubdricating strip in now much thinner and taller. Still has blades made in Japan and assembled in Pakistan (I think). Tried using one of the new ones to polish a shave by one of the old ones. It worked fine for that but I hope one of the other members that discussed this razor will see what kind they have and if it is the older design try a new one and report also. Thanks
Ouchmychin (Pete)
brothers

Re: Noxema Disposables Have Changed?

Post by brothers »

Hmmm --- ? I was one of the guys in that discussion. I still have some of the Noxzema/Kai (red and black) twin blade disposables. I'll stop by Dollar Tree next chance I get, and will check them out.
Last edited by brothers on Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Can't say Pete as I keep forgetting to pick up any so thanks for the reminder.
Regards,
Squire
haiti222

Post by haiti222 »

I'll check my Double Tree as well. They only had the green triple blade Noxzemas for a while (blades from Japan, assembled in China). They were fine, but I like the twin-blades too. My teenage daughter keeps taking them for her use instead.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Japanese made blade alone is a recommendation, I'll risk a dollar.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Ouchmychin wrote:A couple days ago I visited our local Dollar Tree store and decided to pick up some more of the Noxzema razors that have been reviewed recently. When I went through the binn all the razors were slightly different. The pink blade guard is now clear colorless. The lubdricating strip in now much thinner and taller. Still has blades made in Japan and assembled in Pakistan (I think). Tried using one of the new ones to polish a shave by one of the old ones. It worked fine for that but I hope one of the other members that discussed this razor will see what kind they have and if it is the older design try a new one and report also. Thanks
Pete, yesterday I remembered to drop by Dollar Tree. They have these in stock now. The handles appear to be cheaper - is such a thing possible? - they are now three to a package for $1 as opposed to the red and black handled ones that came two to a package. The KAI logo is still imprinted inside of the razor, and that is reassuring. They are still branded Noxzema (on the packaging only) too. Sunday night I used one of the red and black versions with Noxzema Original Deep Cleansing Cream and received a near-perfect shave. So last night I was able to use the new cheaper version with a different soap (Synergy). As you pointed out, the cartridge - the business end - of the little razor looks different, but the blade component appears to be identical, to the naked eye. For today, I'm not going to post a subjective comment on the relative performance of the two Dollar Tree Kai disposable twin blade (Noxzema) razors. I think I want to use them back to back with the same shaving cream so I can hopefully perceive any differences, if any, between the two.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

That is strange. My originals were not red and black, they were more lavender. I guess they have made several versions.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

You got the designer version Pete.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Pete, yesterday at Dollar tree I saw some of the purple and black ones. They are identical to the red and black ones, and they too are sold 2 for a dollar.

Tonight I used one of the new cheaper Noxzema/Kai razors with Noxzema Original Deep Cleansing Cream that works so well with the previous red and black (and purple and black) razors. In my opinion the differences between the former and the current version don't detract from how well they shave. I really like the new one too.
Gary

rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

These are the ones I'm seeing online:

Comes with a pivoting head. All the others are three or four blades. Yes, no?
Ron
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

When I got my last ones, there were 3 ofr 4 blade versions of the Noxzema razors in the bin, but I looked for the twin blade version because that what was first mentioned in a thread in this forum. I have now used the new ones I got several times and now love them. They seem to give the same quality of shave as I was getting from the Schick Hydro 5 vibrators I use. And they are very maneuverable too.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
smoothshaver

Post by smoothshaver »

Saw twelve-packs of the twin-blade Noxzema/Kai disposables for $2.97 at my local H-E-B store outside Houston. Lavender handle with a white head. Haven't tried them yet, but it seems inevitable.
-Ed
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I can just imagine asking the sales girl to help me find the lavender ones.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

No need to be shy when really good shaves are the issue! Anyway, blue's a lot of guys favorite color. Just try to avoid pink! :wink:
Gary

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Actually I find myself leaning toward the pink.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Kai makes a very good disposable razor, pick your color and enjoy the shaves!
Gary

Johnny

Post by Johnny »

brothers wrote:Pete, yesterday at Dollar tree I saw some of the purple and black ones. They are identical to the red and black ones, and they too are sold 2 for a dollar.

Tonight I used one of the new cheaper Noxzema/Kai razors with Noxzema Original Deep Cleansing Cream that works so well with the previous red and black (and purple and black) razors. In my opinion the differences between the former and the current version don't detract from how well they shave. I really like the new one too.
Gary, is this the product you are talking about?
noxzema-face-wash.jpg
noxzema-face-wash.jpg (28.94 KiB) Viewed 3710 times
Johnny

"Younger than some, older than most" - Wet shaving for 50+ years
brothers

Post by brothers »

Yes, this is the one.
Gary

Johnny

Post by Johnny »

brothers wrote:Yes, this is the one.
Do you use it like a rub on shave cream? I have not used this product in years but when I did I used it to wash my face. Never thought of using it like a shave cream.
Johnny

"Younger than some, older than most" - Wet shaving for 50+ years
brothers

Post by brothers »

My wife told me about using it for shaving. It's been around our house forever. Just scoop it out with your fingers and rub it all over your beard. It smells great and makes your face feel fantastic during and after the shave. It's one that I always look forward to using.
Gary