new razor help

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

new razor help

Post by Sam »

Need a new razor. Had an Edwin Jagger bulbous handle with Merkur head and used feather blades. Touched up with a slant base. Used a progress and too unwieldy for me. Want to get a razor that I can use for my 4 passes and then blade buff. Suggest me a cheap razor

As for blades I'm thinking kai or hospital personas or going back with the feathers. That good?
Tucker

Re: new razor help

Post by Tucker »

You've already experienced the Merkur Head. How about trying the new Edwin Jagger head? Edwin Jagger Razors go for under $30 on Amazon. I also really like my Maggard Razor and my Cadet/ RazorRocks TTO. Another option that doesn't get much love, is the Feather Popular TTO. The cheapest option, to get back into wetshaving, would be the Sodial/ ReMei which is sold on Amazon or Ebay for a song, and works great with Feather blades.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Hi Sam -

I can't tell what you're looking for other than you want it to be cheap.

Starting with the EJ bulbous handle with the Merkur head.
What did you like and what didn't you like about this razor?
In what way/s do you want the next razor to be different from the EJ?
Are you looking for a razor that is more aggressive or less so?

Moving on to the Progress.
You found this one bulky but did you like the shave?
If you found the Progress bulky, are you seeking to avoid hefty stainless-steel three-piece razors?

What's cheap?
What is your spending limit?
Many consider the very popular Weber razor inexpensive for what it is, at $70.00. When you consider what a bulbous-handle EJ, a Feather All-Stainles, an iKon, or an Above the Tie razor costs, this is very true.

With a little more information, we should be able to zero in on the right razor for you.

- Murray
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Sam, Based on your prior choices it seems clear that you favour more 'aggressive' shavers so anything 'milder' than the standard Merkur head would probably not do for you ( don't understand it personally but hey, that seems to be your experience ). Everyone says that the E-J heads are milder, as are most Gillettes. Most of the new 'boutique' models are probably more than you want to spend so it seems to boil down pretty quick to another Merkur or a Gillette adjustable ( that you could set on the higher numbers ).
Regards,
Gordon
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

Sam, have a look at the Muhle R89. I find it to be a little more aggressive than the Gillettes and Merkurs.
It's a pretty smooth shaver and the price isn't too steep. If you look around you can get a good price (about $35) or so.
It's what I use most of the time these days after experimenting with countless makes, models, and types of DE razors.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Loved my former EJ. But wanted one razor to shave and touch up by blade buffing. The slant bar never was a good fit as a primary razor or for my first few passes. I did get a trumper and a Harris razor from the sales forum. I think the trumper will be like the EJ with merkur head I had. Don't know about the harris
bflotom2

Post by bflotom2 »

Sterling Soaps has a couple of non-descript razors available.

DE 3P1 12.50
High quality three piece razor. Medium-length handle with a great texture for helping with grip. Handle made of chrome-plated brass. Head made of chrome-plated pewter. (Comes with two blades)

Overall weight: 85 grams - Handle length: 3.15 in.

DE 3P2 15.00
High quality three piece razor. Shorter, broader handle with a great texture for helping with grip. Handle made of chrome-plated brass. Head made of chrome-plated pewter. (Comes with two blades)

Overall weight: 101 grams - Handle length: 3.0 in.

I have no association with Sterling and offer these FYI YMMV

Regards
Regards,
Tom
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

If you don't insist on a D.E. razor, my best shaves are coming from an old Schick injector I got on ebay. I just went over there and checked and you can find all vintages of them. Some here must know which were the more aggressive designs. Darn it, I found one that looked in pristine condition and so I bid on it (about $8.50 right now). The prices are all over the map for what seem like the same models in the same condition. I even found an older model with a full cartridge that is listed at $1.98 plus about 3 bucks shipping right now (sale ends in a couple days).
Ouchmychin (Pete)
brothers

Post by brothers »

Looks like a buyer's market for sure. Now would probably be a good time to reach out and get one or more.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Tom, I checked that website out. Someone tell Gordon, artisan tallow-based soaps and some with lanolin and mutton tallow. Reasonably priced. In fact, one of those razors you mentioned, they have one for half price that has a cosmetic blemish. I might have tried one, or the twist-to-open one, if I had not gotten a Trumpers and a Harris razor from Stan that he had, which are winging their way to Memphis. Now to decide between Feather (which I have had), Kai or some other aggressive blade.
Zot!

Post by Zot! »

Looks like you're getting the same type razor and blades you sold to me (Georgian with Feathers).
Ron
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Probably so. Razor, well, good to change up. Blades, maybe I should have kept them but wont hurt to try something
bflotom2

Post by bflotom2 »

Sam, do you have any thoughts on what brand razors those are? Could they be Welshe?
Regards,
Tom
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Tom I have no idea who makes the razors at sterling soaps. Wonder how aggressive the butterfly one is. The Harris razor i bought is milder and is a jagger. Prefer the handle of the trumper. Trumper is still not aggressive enough. Selling the harris
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Sam the butterfly model is a Weshi or very close which may be too mild for your needs. I have a Barberpole that you are welcome to borrow if it will help with the decision making.
Regards,
Squire