scored a #58

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Mr.Max

scored a #58

Post by Mr.Max »

Hey guys,
I had been itching to hunt down one of these razors in large part because of how much Gordon likes his. For a long time I have shaved with the classic Gillette super speed and its variants. I find these type of razors to be best for my skin. I had gotten myself a '55 Gillette president maybe 2 years ago, which I enjoy very much. My President shaves a lot like a super speed, except perhaps a touch more aggressive, but only ever so slightly. It also is a lot chunkier, heavier, and a better looking razor.
The model #58 I scored is also like this. It is a tiny bit heavier than the president, and the balance a little different, but they shave very similarly. Both razors seen to have an amazingly smooth cutting action, while still being a mild, super speed-like shave. My #58 is in almost minty condition except that it has a lazy door, which i find somewhat irksome. When i twist the bottom knob to open it, it won't open all the way on one side; I have to nudge the door open with my finger. It closes and holds the blade fine though. As far as I can tell, nothing is bent or out of shape and i tried giving it an overnight mineral oil soak, but that didn't help either. It's a slight annoyance, but it doesn't effect the shave. Anyway, I'm glad that I got one, it shaves like a dream, and is a beautiful classy razor.
~Matt
TommyDawg

Re: scored a #58

Post by TommyDawg »

would be interested in a pic, if you care to. Sounds nice!
Tom
Tucker

Post by Tucker »

My Gillette Rocket is the same way. I have to nudge the silo doors open all the way after twisting the mechanism completely.
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

I must have gone through a half-dozen HD Rockets when I started out, and they all had either a lazy door or one of the side bars was bent (I guess they're prone to the dropsies). The one 58 I had was at least mechanically if not cosmetically perfect. I should have had it replated and stuck with it. Enjoy yours.
Ron
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

TommyDawg wrote:would be interested in a pic, if you care to. Sounds nice!
Tom
+1
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Mr.Max

Post by Mr.Max »

I'm at work until late tonight. I'll try to post some pics tomorrow.
~Matt
L. Martino
Voted (fill in blank) member of SMF...

Post by L. Martino »

Hiya,

Like the OP, my curiosity about the #58 was mainly due to Gordon and his love affair with this razor. He is a picky old geezer, and he knows a lot about shaving crap. Good combo for a reviewer.

Got mine a while back in a trade with a UK forum member. Worked out well for both of us, and what he sent is in real nice shape. I wasn't aware of any lazy door issues till now, although I know that's common on some other models like the Popular. To me they seem like the Limey version of the Aristocrat/Diplomat/President family. Luckily, I enjoy using all of those, since they all shave mostly the same.

Really nice to have this in the arsenal,

Martin
Attachments
#58 trade 004 (Small).jpg
#58 trade 004 (Small).jpg (62.95 KiB) Viewed 2553 times
bflotom2

Post by bflotom2 »

A very good looking razor. Nice find.
Regards,
Tom
brothers

Post by brothers »

My exposure was also from reading Gordon's positive comments. I didn't get the 58. Went for a HD Rocket instead. It's a good razor.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

"...a picky old geezer..."!!....say what!?...well I never!...harrumph!....well....the "picky" part may be accurate....Jesus!...no respect from this crowd. Anyway, yes...the Model #58...glad you like it, Matt. Interesting about the President because that's the one model of these '50s upscale Superspeeds that I never got a chance to try and is one that I always suspected that I would like. I got my #58 originally because I'd borrowed Richard's HD Rocket and fallen in love with it but he refused to sell it. I managed to buy another one but it didn't shave the same and then a SMF member sent me a #58 to check out and damned if it didn't shave just like Richard's HD but was even a bit fancier looking. I really appreciate him having done that because I don't know as I would have tried a #58 otherwise. Some other 'fancy' models from this era turned out to be a bit too aggressive for me; the US and English Aristocrats and the Diplomat for example. Like you, I was basically looking for a razor like the original Superspeed but a little classier and heavier. The #58 that I was sent was all that. Just a shade more aggressive than my 1948 Superspeed with good weight and balance and very well made. Enjoy yours.
Regards,
Gordon
Mr.Max

Post by Mr.Max »

Here's some pics as promised. The #58, and the president alongside the #58.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (233.29 KiB) Viewed 2492 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (146.56 KiB) Viewed 2492 times
~Matt
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

=P~
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?