blade and razor combination

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.

which combination...?

Poll ended at Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:23 pm

Mild blade, aggressive razor.
No votes
Aggressive blade, mild razor.
100%
Mild blade, mild razor.
No votes

Total votes: 6

TommyDawg

blade and razor combination

Post by TommyDawg »

Each of us have a personal range of both blades and razors that we consider mild, medium or aggressive. For those times when you don't want to be super aggressive, do you prefer the combination of a mild blade and aggressive razor, or aggressive blade with mild razor?
Tom
CMur12

Re: blade and razor combination

Post by CMur12 »

Wow, so far I'm 100%!

Tom, my general rule of thumb/starting point is to choose the razor for the skin and the blade for the beard:

I have sensitive skin, so I use a mild razor. I have a coarse (albeit not very dense) beard, so I use the sharper blades (but not Feathers).

- Murray
TommyDawg

Post by TommyDawg »

Interesting, Murray. Never heard it put that way before...
Tom
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Hmm, I never heard of an aggressive blade before.

All of my blades are among the very sharpest possible and that's all I ever use. I never use a mild razor anymore. The mildest I'll go is mid aggressive. I guess I don't know what the poll is about.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

I'm not sure what to do with the given options. I prefer a fairly 'mild' razor ( think Gillette Superspeed type, Schick Krona, etc. ) and a very sharp HIGH QUALITY blade ( Gillette 'Swede', '70s/'80's Wilkinson, etc. )...don't think I want an 'aggressive' blade however.
Regards,
Gordon
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

The best DE combo for me was the plastic-tipped Schick Krona and Gillette Swede. The Progress/Mergress and Personna Hospital Use blades might be even better. In direct opposition to those, I have a pass-around Cobra Classic coming this week that I'll match with Kai Mild blades, which should either rival the others or kill me in the process.
Ron
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

For me it's about balance. The two razors that balance the best for me are Schick Krona and Jagger Chatsworth. For blades I'll use anything that's sharp so long as I can buy it in bulk on sale.
Regards,
Squire