In Praise of the Red Tip

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
BeatlesFan

In Praise of the Red Tip

Post by BeatlesFan »

Recently I've been using my 1956 Gillette Red Tip almost exclusively. As most gents here probably are aware, before the introduction of the adjustable safety razors, Gillette offered three fixed head Superspeeds, blue for lighter beards, uncolored for regular beards, and red tips for heavy beards. I would have to say that, although I do have a heavy beard, this razor doesn't seem at all "aggressive." For example, the shaving experience seems more akin to other Gillette SS razors than to any Merkur I've used. It doesn't have that Merkur "exposed blade" feel; it just glides lightly and gently --again, typical Gillette SS.

Works great with my easily aggravated skin --in fact it seems 100% as comfortable as any other SS, and much more effective. Beard reduction is fantastic. Comfort is second to none. It feels great in the hand. Never clogs. Butterfly doors work like new.

There may be some tuning subtleties that actually do make this razor particularly suitable for gentlemen like me with heavy beards. I can't say for sure precisely HOW Gillette accomplished this heavy beard tuning, but I'm very, very pleased with the razor's performance. For me, it shaves a good deal like an Aristocrat, but I think it mows my beard down more efficiently and with fewer passes.

So my '56 Red Tip has become a real favorite, and I'd recommend it to any SMF members who are looking for a razor that can tackle a tough beard while extending all the usual Gillette skin-kindness to the face.
brothers

Re: In Praise of the Red Tip

Post by brothers »

Maybe it's more than just blade gap, but what else could factor into it?
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

BeatlesFan, Well, it certainly sounds like exactly the ticket for you! I've never had the opportunity to try one although I certainly would if I got the chance. I always assumed that they might be a tad too 'aggressive' for me...but maybe not. My beard's in the medium to heavy range I think. I have always gotten very fine shaves with the '57 'TV Special' SS that I have. It's always gratifying to hear when a member finds the ideal razor ( or brush, or cream, or whatever ) for them.
Regards,
Gordon
John N.

Post by John N. »

I've got a Red Tip from late '59 and it is on my short list of faves. I generally like fairly aggressive razors (Cobra, Futur on 3 or 3.5, OC Micromatic) and find the RT to be less aggressive than those mentioned; though by no means a truly mild razor... just more forgiving.
brothers wrote:Maybe it's more than just blade gap, but what else could factor into it?
Could be blade angle & head geometry, head weight or handle length. I am probably blowing smoke on "handle length" 'cause I've never measured.
J.
John N.
Bob in TX

Post by Bob in TX »

Like John, I have a '59 Red Tip. It is also one of my favorites. It delivers consistently close, smooth shaves. It also seems to work well with several different blades. Enjoy!

brothers

Post by brothers »

Bob, that Red Tip looks just like new, especially the paint. Is it original, or has it been restored? Either way, a great razor.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

BF I didn't find the Red Tip to be an especially aggressive razor, very nice one though.
Regards,
Squire
digitaldome

Post by digitaldome »

Bob in TX wrote:Like John, I have a '59 Red Tip. It is also one of my favorites. It delivers consistently close, smooth shaves. It also seems to work well with several different blades. Enjoy!

She's a beauty !
I don't believe in Fate...but I do believe in F8
Bob in TX

Post by Bob in TX »

Thanks..........all original. Just cleaned it up a bit. Gotta get lucky once in a while!
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Luck beats talent most any day.
Regards,
Squire
tave

Post by tave »

I inherited my red tip from my father when he passed. I can remember him shaving with it and coming out of the bathroom with tiny wads of toilet paper on his face from nicks. He put up with it for a while then went to Trac II out of self-defense.
I don't have problems with it. I just pay attention to what I'm doing and get on with it.
Don't talk to me while I'm shaving!!
brothers

Post by brothers »

Nice first post, Tave. I don't blame your dad for going to the Trac II. Now we all know why they designed the Trac II and why it has been so successful all these years. My dad's razor was not a Red Tip, it was a triangle-hole Tech. Same thing, he regularly nicked himself and did the toilet paper thing, and so did I when I inherited his razor and used it. I knew nothing of technique, and wrote it off to a defect. Shaving forums helped me realize it was simply an over-aggressive razor and would provide great shaves if used with the proper technique. Turned out Gillette soon re-designed the Tech head to the rectangular hole version, which is much less aggressive.
Gary

CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Welcome to SMF, tave!

My father shaved with the standard Super Speed, which was less aggressive than the Red Tip, and had no problems with it. I started out with a Schick Injector and migrated to a Gillette Adjustable some years later. I think I set the Adjustable too high for my skin, so, though I don't remember getting nicks, I didn't get a comfortable shave and I was happy enough to switch to the Atra around 1980.

- Murray
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Hey tave, welcome aboard.
Regards,
Squire
Straight Arrow

Post by Straight Arrow »

I have a redtip from my birth year/quarter--B-2. Not sure what the significance is of having a razor that is the same age as me. I'm just trying to hold up as well as my red tip has for 58 years. Good razor by the way.
Rich