Gillette Platinum Blades

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Captnp

Gillette Platinum Blades

Post by Captnp »

Gents,

Looking for some additional feedback on the Gillette Platinum blades. They come in a box similar to the Silver Blue and are made by the PPI factory in Russia. Noticed just before a recent trip that AOS seems to be stocking this blade in their retail stores.

I’ve had bad experiences checking my luggage, so, when flying I typically use a cartridge unless I know I can find a decent DE blade at my destination. I thought this might be a solution. While on my trip I picked up a pack at the local AOS and felt the blade to be sharp and smooth much like my current fav. Polisilver SI but perhaps only giving me 2 to 3 decent shaves (get 4 to 5 with the SI).

I didn't bring these home so I couldn't do any direct comparisons with my typical routine. My local AOS is a bit inconveniently located for me so before I make the effort I’m wondering if others have thoughts on this blade?

Thanks.
Bob in TX

Re: Gillette Platinum Blades

Post by Bob in TX »

I really like them. To me they are a notch above the Gillette Silver Blue, one of my go to blades. They are also about 40% or so more expensive, MUCH more so at AOS. But a box of 5 when you get to your destination would work.

FYI-They are available from a vendor in Romania and one in Israel.

slackskin

Post by slackskin »

Bob in TX wrote:I really like them. To me they are a notch above the Gillette Silver Blue, one of my go to blades. They are also about 40% or so more expensive, MUCH more so at AOS. But a box of 5 when you get to your destination would work.
I agree with Bob -- to me tye Plats are a bit above the Silver blues, which are fine blades themselves, so that would be a notch above "fine." The Plats are go-to blades for me also.

As to the expense, http://www.razorbladesandmore.com has Plats and Silver Blues priced the same -- no 40% premium for Plats if purchased at RMB. Of course, that would not work for you if you want to purchase them at your destination after travelling -- but RBM would work for establishing a stash at home.
Bob in TX

Post by Bob in TX »

The Platinum's at Razorbladesandmore.com are still $34, I can get the GSB's shipped for $19.

Both are very good.........
Bob in TX

Post by Bob in TX »

I just finished my 6th shave with a Gillette Platinum in my Super Speed Red Tip. Combined with the Maggard Fougere Sauvage, my 6th shave with it was excellent: close, still smooth, and nick free.

Bob in TX

Post by Bob in TX »

My Red Tip was back in the rotation. I just completed another 6 great shaves using a Gillette Platinum in it. I think I can safely designate the Platinum as my "Go To" blade for the Red Tip.

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Good photos Bob, visual aids really spice up the post.
Regards,
Squire
TheMonk

Post by TheMonk »

I really like Gillette Platinum blades also, I find them quite sharp yet very smooth.
David

“Use any means to keep from being a genius, all means to become one.” John Cage
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

I used to use them for few weeks and they're OK - really smooth.
Wet shaving enthusiast | Gillette razor user | Ambient music fan
BPman

Post by BPman »

This is currently jostling for my No 1. blade spot with the Gillette Rubie Platinum Plus which to be frank I think is the very same blade, the name changed only for marketing. It is however dependent on the right razor & cream/soap. As an example, I used a brand new one in a Gillette Tech in conjunction with Ingrams cream and the shave was a tad rough. The second shave was with a Krona with the improved Lea shave stick and was absolutely storybook. I blame the Ingram cream as it is not nearly as slick as the Lea. I have had this happen before with Ingram as it's "sweet spot" is harder to find and it dries quickly. Regardless, the Gillette Platinum is simply top tier. There are maybe one or two modern DE blades equal to, but none better IMO. :wink: