Valet Auto Strop

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Valet Auto Strop

Post by drmoss_ca »

Someone gave me a shaving mug today, which was old and I can't read what the lettering originally said upon it. No matter; in it were a Wade & Butcher Congress razor, a Fatboy, an old Gillette open comb, a Schick Hydromatic Injector and a Valet Autostrop razor, but no strop. I think I have been given one of the tiny strops used for this razor in the past, but goodness knows where it is. Is it worth the effort to strop the blade? Is it removable (in which case I can hone it before stropping)?

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
ShadowsDad

Re: Valet Auto Strop

Post by ShadowsDad »

What model? Just curious, but it would help so as not to write a book. I'll try to keep it brief.

Frankly I wouldn't shed any tears at not having the strop. I have a few and don't want to part with them, but...

Yes, the blade is removable. Maybe the carbon steel blades from yesteryear can be stropped (I doubt it), but I have yet to read any information from anyone today who is successful at doing anything positive to todays blades by stropping them. Maybe they had different standards of what a sharp blade was 100 years ago too. I don't know. When I tried to strop a modern SS blade it just made it worse. Maybe with some sort of abrasive on the strop? I don't know. I just change out the blade and don't bother with it. Todays blades are so inexpensive it's just not worth doing IMO.

OK, so having written that there is a gent who has a youtube video showing how to strop one. I don't know that he mentions it being worth doing. For $.25 a blade and almost 20 shaves per blade I don't find it worth bothering with it. Feathers are $1 per for upwards of 10 shaves per blade (Blades and More).

I use modern modified GEM blades in mine, and in the models with "full" blade holders that are punched I use Feather SE blades, but that, very infrequently. OK, almost never with Feather blades anymore. Somewhere on the forum I believe I have the instructions for modifying a GEM blade. But that's only for VC1 & VC2 (and earlier) models with the "1/2" blade holders. Again, a thread I posted quite some time ago. For certain that's on the forum. FWIW, the Feather blades can also be used in the VC1 & 2 without modification. They are really good blades.

FWIW, I find the Valets quite mild. The VC1 & 2 models being a hair more aggressive but just a hair. As the years went by the models got milder. I don't have one earlier than a VC1. I haven't used a VC3 or 4 in a very long time because of the hinky blade holders and the milder shave.

I love the looks of the razors, I just wish they fit into what I like for a shave a bit more.

Check out the threads I posted. If you have a 1/2 blade holder (most of the blade is visible with that), let me know and I'll send some blades if you need some. Obviously they won't be in any sort of virgin wrapper. Or I can send still wrapped unmodified blades for you to modify. Whatever you want. PM me for that. If you want a few virgin genuine Valet blades I have those as well and I'll never use them. Maybe they can be honed. They're no good the way they are, so of no use to me other than historical for one set that I have.

Let me see if I can find a picture of a "1/2" blade holder. BTW, that's just what I call it. It's not in general use.

I think I did better than I thought I would. Both types of blade holders. The "1/2" blade holder is to the left. The others mostly cover the blade. The only one with a blade is also to the left.

A better picture of it with a Feather blade installed.

My only set where the genuine blades are worth anything IMO. That's only because it's so gorgeous. "Valet" can be clearly seen punched into the blade.

Edit: I can post the instructions if you'd like them. Let me know.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Wow! Lots of info, for which I thank you. I suspect I'll have to decide if it is worth cleaning the razor up before I'll know exactly what I have. I'm not likely to want to shave with it but thought I ought to make some motion to do something to prevent the giver having given to me for no purpose at all.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
ben-blade

Post by ben-blade »

As it happens, I've been using two Valet Auto Strops for about a week now.

Originaly I've tried them (with no success) with spineless ( :-) ) GEM blades. It's not just the spine but the blades differ in their dimensions so the GEMs will not sit right in the Valets.

But this failure didn't stop me and I've ordered the relevant Feather blades. Received them about a week ago and have tried them for a few days now.
AWFUL !
The best (and trust me, there was nothing even good here) I could get was 1 (ONE) shave per blade. Even that shave was pure torture with my face begging me to have mercy.

This morning I decided I've had eanough, reloaded a trusted EverReady with a GEM blade and finished the shave.

Anyone interested in three unused Feather Valet blades ?
wvbias

Post by wvbias »

If it were me I would clean it up simply
out of respect for the person who gave
it to me.

Terry
Jbbmad2

Post by Jbbmad2 »

You guys are good, I don't remember anything after I read Fatboy. Wait I think there was something mentioned about selling it, not sure.
Bruce
Proverbs 3:5-6
Gig'em!
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Know what you mean Chris. A kind soul gave me an old bamboo fly rod and my first thought was replacing guides, refinishing, etc. out of respect to the giver. Then I found delamination in the splines so the choice is preserve it as an antique in it's present condition or pay a professional to do a full restoration which is God awful expensive.

Sometimes things are just best left alone.
Regards,
Squire