VDH Razor

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
dosco

VDH Razor

Post by dosco »

I was at the local Target last evening and after I was done with the primary shopping mission I stopped in the shaving aisle.

Of note was the VdH "section" ... I was pleased to see that there were several VdH products:

1. Razor and blades set.
2. Shave kit:
a) Mug/bowl
b) Soap
c) Soap brush

3. Shave soap
4. Badger shave soap brush

(next time I go I'll take a picture w/my cell ... looking at Google it appears VdH has several permutations of "shave kit").

Anyhow, I was particularly intrigued by the Razor. I opened the box and scoped out the razor, which appeared to be a knock-off of a Gillette SS TTO. It was about $20 (I was with my daughter and laughingly told her that my Gillette SS TTO was purchased for a sum total of $8 at the antique store).

Who makes the razor?

Is it any good?

I'm mostly curious ... I have a couple of 1950/60s Techs, a 1970s Black Handle SS, 1964 Slim, a Lord, and a plethora of disposable plastic SEs (mostly Bic Sensitives) ... and it is unlikely I'll buy a "new" beginner's TTO.

Inquiring minds and all ...

Cheers-
Dave
Squire
Squadron Leader

Re: VDH Razor

Post by Squire »

My vote is Lord but tell us more about the brush.
Regards,
Squire
dosco

Post by dosco »

Badger brush, $20, part of the "Luxury Line" of products. I opened one and the bristles, compared to my el-cheapo VdH boar brush, are very soft and nice. I suggested to my daughter (who was with me) that she get one for me for Father's Day. We'll see about that, lol.

You can see what it looks like here: http://www.vdhent.com/products/luxury.html

However there isn't much information.

Regards-
Dave

EDIT: This bit, below, from their site was interesting ... maybe I should post on the Soap subforum?
van der Hagen Enterprises is the premier specialty bar soap manufacturer in the world. The van der Hagen's have supplied soaps to many of the most respected companies in the personal care industry including: Avon, Harrods (UK), Bath & Body Works, Liz Claiborne, The Body Shop (UK), Michael Jordan, Boots (UK), O'Boticario (Brazil), Elizabeth Arden, Walt Disney, Estee' Lauder and Warner Bros. to name a few.

van der Hagen Enterprises owes it's renowned reputation as producers of the finest quality soaps to their use of the old fashioned kettle process. During this process, carefully selected ingredients are added to a heated kettle by a master compounder according to exacting temperatures. Once complete, the thin liquid is poured into molds, run through a cooling tunnel and hand packed. The result? A unique formula which contains over 40% humectant moisturizers. In addition, the Deluxe Shave Soap contains Aloe Vera & Shea Butter and the Glycerin Shave Soap contains Vitamin E & Oat Extract.

The kettle process is more labor intensive and the finer ingredients more expensive but the results speak for themselves. Van der Hagen shave soaps not only provide for the closest shave, they are also hypo-allergenic and rinse more completely than typical soaps, leaving your face feeling soft and smooth.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Not a bad looking brush for the price.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

When I saw the badger brush on the shelf at Walmart a few days ago, I recalled my first badger brush, the famous Tweezerman, and how great a change it was in contrast to the cheapo boar brush I had been struggling with for a few weeks. I think its great that VDH is moving up to selling DE razors and badger brushes on the shelves in the big box stores now.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

The fact that VDH finds it profitable to produce such goods shows an uptick in interest in traditional shaving.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Bingo!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
pausted

Post by pausted »

I bought the luxury set from Amazon when they first came out. The soap is nice. The cup is fine...I still use it. The razor and brush holder is good...it is on my sink today and I use it every day. The weak link in the kit was the brush. Mine was a shedder. After many shaves it never stopped shedding. I finally tossed it.
Best regards,

Basil
alcx77

Post by alcx77 »

Ran into a gent at a local pharmacy recently who was lamenting the absurd prices for the multiblades and, producing my I phone
introduced him to this site........yes indeed I do believe the word is getting out concerning traditional shaving as Squire said. :D
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

I think the razor is most likely a Weishi, which from all reports was a decent mild shaver back in the days.
Good shaving,

Gary
haiti222

Post by haiti222 »

Some Walmarts now have VDH DE blades in a 5 pack, Ice Tempered, Made in Germany.
slantman

Post by slantman »

Bought a five pack of VDH blades at Walmart. Will try them soon. Wet shaving is grabbing everyone's attention these day.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Price of Toggles should jump again, as well as other less common pieces.
Regards,
Squire
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

Bought the VDH blades yesterday and tried it out today. The blade comes in a pack of five for $2.88 at Walmart. There are no markings on the blade but it does come individually wrapped. I put it in an EJ 89 on a Rooney/Parker handle. To say it gave a rotten shave would be an understatement- rough and uneven on its only pass. I switched to a Dorco 301 for the remainder of the shave. If I had to pick, I would chose the generic blades rom the grocery store before going with these. That said, if anyone wants the rest of the pack shoot me a PM.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy