Discovery re Feather MR3 Neo / Gillette Pivot Ball 5 blade

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
brothers

Discovery re Feather MR3 Neo / Gillette Pivot Ball 5 blade

Post by brothers »

Tomorrow will be the start of my week-long morning shave with the new Feather MR3 Neo cartridge razor. This morning I discovered that the pivot principle is NOT exclusive to the expensive and highly touted Gillette Pivot Ball razor. The Feather also pivots, exactly like the Gillette! Much simpler, and easily accomplished by the proprietary connection point between the cartridge and the razor handle. Not only does the cartridge pivot (swivel?) from top to bottom (this feature is optional with the user of the Feather, by the way, by selecting either free or lock with the touch of a finger), but it also pivots from side to side just as the Gillette does. I'm not saying this feature is going to be news to anyone else, but at least it's new to me. I like the substantial look and feel of the Feather handle too.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
rsp1202

Re: Discovery re Feather MR3 Neo / Gillette Pivot Ball 5 bla

Post by rsp1202 »

Gary, in practice these razors don't pivot as radically during an actual shave as the advertising makes you believe happens (unless you're into grand immelmanns and Dutch rolls -- air show shaving), though the Gillette's range of pivot is greater than the Feather's. I still don't believe that function is all that necessary anyway. With the Feather, you also have the "advantage" of fewer blades at least as sharp as the Gillette, if not moreso, and less irritation, too. It's a good razor, you should enjoy it.
Ron
slantman

Post by slantman »

Looking forward to your review Gary.
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

As posted elsewhere, my experience with the new Feather has been nothing if not exceptional.
Enjoying wet shaving, again.
jr/John
BiffBuff

Post by BiffBuff »

RSP1202's "grand immelmanns and Dutch rolls -- air show shaving" is priceless!

I love shaving with my DE but I will admit to being really attracted to this razor. For one thing, it looks like a flippin' Jetsons razor. For another, the pivot lock feature seems like a terrific idea. I will most likely break down and buy one soon. I have rotten self-control.

Something about five blades is just hard to swallow - three is pushing it. I used a twin blade razor for many years - grew up with them.

If (when) I get an MR3 neo, I imagine it would be most useful to fine tune a good shave for that special occasion. ATG on the upper lip, anyone?
disengage
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Proof that "more is better" is a translatable Worldwide marketing slogan. King Gillette would be proud.
Regards,
Squire