Merkur Vison vs. Straight Razor?

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
AceHarddrive

Merkur Vison vs. Straight Razor?

Post by AceHarddrive »

I am considering buying a Merkur Vision and wonder whether it would be better to 1)Buy one and use it as my only razor (getting rid of my str8 and related accoutrements) 2)Buy one and use it as my weekly (use during the week) shaver and reserve my str8 for my weekend shaver (as a reward for a good week), 3)Forgo buying a Vision and just use a str8 as my shaver. Those who have experience with DE's and str8's, which would be the better option? Which razor gives a more comfortable/close shave (assuming the DE has good blades and the str8 is properly honed/stropped)?

~Tim :wink:

The wolf
Is shaved
So neat and trim
Red Riding Hood
Is chasing him
Burma-Shave
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

i have a vision and one straight. i get a better shave on the cheeks with only a straight, and use the vision to touch up on the neck. sometimes i shave in the shower with my vision. i dont think ill get rid of it yet since i have it. gonna try a gillette adjustable and decide which one works. i dont think i am doing well with the stropping and honing so i am looking at getting a feather straight. for some reason, i feel like i have new cheeks skin when i use a straight and not so fresh when i use the DE

sam
AceHarddrive

Post by AceHarddrive »

Sam, from what I've read, Feather = S.H.A.R.P.!! Feather also makes DE blades that are Scary Sharp! If you try either the replaceable-blade str8 or the DE, be very careful. If you want to try a Shavette, I have one I'll let ya have.

~Tim :wink:

The wolf
Is shaved
So neat and trim
Red Riding Hood
Is chasing him
Burma-Shave
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

im trying the feather straight this week. got it yesterday and shaved once with it. feather de blades to me are not sharper then merkur or if so, not measurably by my feel. the feather straight shaves my cheeks better than a vision, so ill wait to see how it does on the neck tomorrow

sam
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

I use the feather blade in my Futur. I can not really tell the difference. Both give a close shave.
AceHarddrive

Post by AceHarddrive »

Joel, I see it this way: back when the only people who owned a straight razor were barbers, a man would get his barber shave on the weekend. I just wonder what he did the rest of the week? Let it grow? Use some other method to remove his whiskers? I can see how using a DE during the week would be practical, especially for those men who have very little time to spend removing facial hair. I see this as a good way to "combine" the two different methods and also as a way to remind ourselves of our shaving heritage.

~Tim 8)

The wolf
Is shaved
So neat and trim
Red Riding Hood
Is chasing him
Burma-Shave