Gem Micromatic.

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
ShadowsDad

Re: Gem Micromatic.

Post by ShadowsDad »

I can still find them in our local pharmacies. But they're pricey buying them in the 10 pack. CVS has GEM CS blades, and Walgreens has the GEM SS blades.

But a better deal is buying them in bulk from Connaught (best buy) or Ted Pella or EMS.

Glad to hear you're liking it Wendell. Not only are they sharper they stay sharper and useable for many more shaves as well. At first I canned them after 7 shaves. Then I realized I could get 14 shaves from one blade. Then I asked myself why I was tossing it after 14 shaves when the blade was still cutting efficiently? That's when I realized they could go for 20 shaves most times, individual blades vary. The one I'm using now has 28 shaves on it, and I'm still getting a comfortable BBS with no decrease in cutting efficiency or me doing anything different.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
alcx77

Post by alcx77 »

My rotation has evolved into DE than SE [Ted Pella] than DE than Injector TP and "Chick" blades than DE etc
I also enjoy readjusting to the technique involved in each of these types of razors. Pella blades are not as initially
sharp as the Gems or Treets in my SE experience but give me 22-26 comfortable shaves blade after blade
as opposed to 12-18 for DEs.

I have found that, as mentioned earlier in this thread SE blades do not cause damage when dull but rather
decline in cutting efficiency requiring more passes and or clean up. Hence I commonly stretch my SE blades
use into the low 40s! Try that with ANY DE blade. :shock: :lol:
alcx77

Post by alcx77 »

With the possible exception of a Personna 74
numerouno

Post by numerouno »

SE is the best compromise if u don't want to get into straights. I love my OCMM !