Ikon Shavecraft 102 -- first shave

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
slackskin

Ikon Shavecraft 102 -- first shave

Post by slackskin »

I just had my first shave with the Ikon Shavecraft 102 slant. It was probably the best shave of my life. For me, if was extremely comfortable, and felt as if I couldn't nick or cut myself even if I tried (which I did not). For me, significantly more comfortable than the Merkur 37C -- which is very good itself. Both the 102 and 37c give excellent BBS shaves effortlessly.

Here is the backstory. At age 69, I started with a DE as a teenager, and took up wetshaving again 4 years ago. I have tried numerous DEs and one SE. The slants beat 'em all, and 102 is at the top of the list.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Re: Ikon Shavecraft 102 -- first shave

Post by Squire »

Good for you slack, use what works.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Thanks for the positive review. Looks like another winner from Greg.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
numerouno

Post by numerouno »

Is it milder than the 37c?
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Seems like the Shavecrafts are mild shavers. He's got a new solid-bar version (both sides, unlike the 101) coming out sometime next year (early, I hope).
Ron
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

My Ikon slant is very mild as well. I've found that all the Ikons that I've tried are relatively mild.
My favourite slant is the bakelite Merkur one. It's even smoother than the 37c and gives a very close shave.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
BiffBuff

Post by BiffBuff »

My 102 performs very well (maybe a little clunky around the nostrils) - I'm glad I got it. I have to admit that I fail to see much advantage over simply holding any blade at a similar slant. Most of the other slants in production actually twist the razorblade itself - even the other iKon slants. Mind you, I'm not trying to find fault - the 102's a lovely razor in common with all the iKon gear I've seen. I have a Shavecraft 101 that lives in my checked bag travel kit. I think that, from my own experience, the ATT slants are the best, but they're over twice the price - not twice as good.

Still...the 101 and the 102 by Shavecraft are absolutely unique in their price range ~ an heirloom razor at a reasonable cost.

my dos centavos
disengage
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I feel much the same way Biff. I believe the theory behind slant razors is they replicate the stroke of an open razor and while the theory is sound it forces me to use someone else's idea of proper blade angle rather than my own. A non twisted head provides me with greater flexibility.
Regards,
Squire