Eclipse Red Ring Razor

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
brothers

Eclipse Red Ring Razor

Post by brothers »

I've always wanted one, and here it is. Made in England (1930s - '40s), and to my surprise, it's adjustable. Not a clicking adjustment mechanism, but more like the Merkur Progress, simply by twisting the knob on the bottom of the handle. I have read that this razor is a great shaver. Happily, this is true. I like my razors to be smooth, close, but not harsh and prone to nicks and cuts. The Red Ring, properly adjusted to my preferrred degree of blade exposure, is smooth, close, and not harsh. Just what I was hoping for. On close inspection and in use this is a carefully designed and manufactured instrument. Chrome plated and tight, this one was certainly worth waiting for. I purchased it from Erik on one of the shaving forums at a very fair price. Almost forgot to mention - there is a small magnet incorporated into the bottom of the knob, and it works perfectly when it becomes necessary to pick up a razor blade. (Eclipse was also a manufacturer of magnets among other things.) Actually, Eclipse was the name of a famous racehorse that belonged to the gentleman who owned the whole kit'n caboodle. There's a good story there, I understand.

Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Jbbmad2

Re: Eclipse Red Ring Razor

Post by Jbbmad2 »

Great looking razor Gary! Congratulations on the purchase and finding it to be money well spent.
Bruce
Proverbs 3:5-6
Gig'em!
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Sounds like a very nice razor, Gary. Congratulations on the find.

- Murray
GuitarBoy

Post by GuitarBoy »

I have always thought that these are some of the most beautiful razors ever made, so congrats on your find!!!
brothers

Post by brothers »

Something about the head design is working. This isn't an aggressive-feeling razor, but it's cutting the whiskers as close and smooth as my other favorites, the Barbasol and the Shavecraft 101 (aka as the Punktal 101 from about 60 to 80 years ago). In addition, there's one significant difference. Those two I just mentioned, along with the Cobra and the Ever Ready Streamline will not hesitate to nick and cut if I get sloppy. This doesn't seem to be much of a threat with the Eclipse. Significant, and I haven't yet figured out why, but I will, hopefully.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
brothers

Post by brothers »

I use Kai and Personna h.u. blades. Post shave there's no stubble, wtg, xtg, atg, whatever. It's as smooth as the carts. I have stubble with the Gillettes, Merkurs, SRs, SEs, even the Streamline. Just telling it as it is. Post shave, there are no cuts, nicks, blood, etc., I have those with the straights, Cobra, Barbasol, even the sweet little Shavecraft 101 if I slip up. Again that's what happens, no lie. This Red Ring delivers the unexpected. I can even manage to cut myself once in a coon's age with the mild and inoffensive Schick Krona. Even though it's only been just a few days, that hasn't happened - yet- with the RR. I dial it up from what would be the expected mildest setting (tightened up all the way). My cup of tea, yessir. Twelve hours later, I'm still rubbing my upper lip and jawline and being surprised at the smoothness. Just stating a fact.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

Today I went back to using the Red Ring, after having my mind blown by the Darwin. Naturally having two new (very old) razors, both of which are excellent, is a source of double the pleasure, double the fun. i shouldn't and won't choose a favorite. There's a Mongoose on the not too distant horizon, and another handful of rotation razors that seem to have become invisible in the fog of war. Yikes!
Gary

Tucker

Post by Tucker »

Gary, it sounds like you are really enjoying this hobby! I've been enjoying your posts. The Eclipse Red Ring is a beautiful razor. I wish someone would do a reproduction of it, but that would make too much sense. I have the Ikon Shavecraft razor, and I love it. I was glad that Greg finally added an affordable offering. I can't really distinguish between the two sides of the razor, and I use them interchangeably. Another razor that has really wowed me and become a quick favorite is the new Parker 26c Open Comb. They also make a Model 24c. These are wonderful Parker razors that made me rethink my concept of that brand. The head geometry is superb. Check it out:

http://www.amazon.com/Parker-26C-Handle ... fety+razor
brothers

Post by brothers »

Tucker, thanks for the heads-up on the Parker razor. I like the looks of it. Parker does appear to be a serious player. I liked my Shavecraft 101 so much last year I gave them as gifts to my son and son in law for Christmas.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

After a few months, the Red Ring has proven to be more than just a passing fancy. This is one that was clearly worth the wait. Used it today, with a vintage Gillette Super Stainless blade. Close and smooth.
Gary

robert-00

Post by robert-00 »

Interesting Eclipse History-- The Eclipse razors were made by James Neill & Co., Sheffield, England.
According to WikiPedia:
"In 1889, James Neill patented composite steel - steel-backed iron. He registered his composite steel products under the Eclipse trademark in 1909. The name was taken from the famous racehorse Eclipse, who even though he had died over a hundred years earlier was still famous for his dominating success. The phrase "Eclipse first and the rest nowhere" was still in such common use that Neill adopted it as a marketing slogan for his products. Eclipse made the world's first composite steel hacksaw blade in 1911. The company began manufacturing hacksaws in 1924. All hacksaws are now built according to their design."
Robert
brothers

Post by brothers »

Robert, thanks for finding and posting this. This is one of my favorites. The high quality of workmanship is apparent, and the design shaves very well. I looked for one of these razors for several years. Lately I've been seeing them offered for sale more often than I recall in the past.
Gary

malocchio

Post by malocchio »

Always wanted one,it really is a first class razor.
brothers

Post by brothers »

This morning the Red Ring seems to have found it's sweet spot. The product informatiion brochure that was included with these razors mentioned that the razor is "adjustable". It's a two piece razor with a knob that tightens by turning clockwise. There'a an arrow on the handle and there are vertical lines on the knob. The instructions say the blade gap can be adjusted by turning the know to maximum tightness, then backing it off a bit until the desired result is obtained. In my case, I decided to back it off by two marks this morning. This turned out to be one of the closest/smoothest shaves ever. The last time I had results this excellent was two days ago when I used the Darwin Deluxe Stainless Steel razor. I've known for quite a while that the beautiful old Darwin gives me the best shaves ever, perfect every single time. Now I have at another one that does that, thanks to the adjustment knob. Both of these Made in England razors were made at about the same time, circa 1930 or thereabouts. I've been using the Red Ring for several months now, but it wasn't until today that I backed off the knob by two full increments. I've got 3 or 4 others that are close, but I'm not ready to make any official rulings on them just yet. This is great! :D
Gary

celar36

Post by celar36 »

Same here my friend I back knob by 1.5 mark to my sweet spot:)

Red Ring and Gillette Big Fellow are my go to razors. I just wish to finish up with my perfect tio having Darwin razor
Jack
brothers

Post by brothers »

Jack, I wish you success in your search for the third razor. 8)
Gary

celar36

Post by celar36 »

Last week I saw one mint condition BIN while I was at work and didnt had my PayPal token. After coming back home and login into ebay it was gone. 1 h too late :(
Jack
celar36

Post by celar36 »

Another effortless shaves delivered by combo of Red Ring and Wilkinson Blades (English made/black label) Love the feeling of Hybrid bar on my face 8)

First pass slightly adjusted on knob for more aggressiveness and then turn back down completely!
Jack
brothers

Post by brothers »

Jack, thanks for reminding me it's been a few weeks now since I used the Red Ring. I should remedy that situation immediately!
Gary