Current Production TTOs

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
DEF

Current Production TTOs

Post by DEF »

Are there any current production TTO razors that stand up to the old Gillette standards? Thanks for your thoughts.
Doug
BeatlesFan

Re: Current Production TTOs

Post by BeatlesFan »

On a related note, I recently noticed a VDH Tto on the shelf at one of the big box stores. Didn't buy it, but I did take it out of the box for a quick glance. However, not having bought it, I obviously haven't shaved with it.

The VDH certainly looks a whole lot like a classic 1950s Gillette (though I thought it possibly felt a tad lightweight in the hand). Does anyone have any experience with these razors? Do they measure up to the standards of the vintage DE's?
brothers

Post by brothers »

Because the Gillettes are so plentiful, even after such a long time out of production, there are actually a great many new and unused Gillette TTO razors out there for those who tend to want only a new razor. Unfortunately, the current popularity of almost any Gillette has caused the prices to be pretty steep. There are a lot of new TTO razors being sold. One of the more elaborate is the Merkur Vision. The ultimate TTO!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
DEF

Post by DEF »

Thanks for the intel, BeatlesFan. The VdH TTO was in stock at WalMart, so I grabbed one. For $17, it seems perfectly legit. I had already done an evening shave, so I'll need to wait to try it out. I'll report back.
Doug
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Doug, I think Parker, of India, makes TTO models. I haven't tried one, however. Weishi, of course, also offers TTO models in a variety of materials. These are very decent razors, but they are also very mild. I did use a Weishi at one time, and I still use mild razors, if not quite this mild.

I wouldn't be surprised if the VdH razor weren't a Weishi, as they seem to be showing up under different brands. The razor that Rick Harrison of Pawn Stars has been hawking on TV sure looks like a Weishi.

- Murray
DEF

Post by DEF »

From what little I've seen online, the VdH is the same as the Micro Touch One. I can't confirm that, however.

I'm not so gung-ho this time around that I'll put up with an eBay bidding war and wind up paying $70 for a vintage DE with plate wear. A decent new TTO for $17 will scratch that itch just fine.
Doug
Tucker

Post by Tucker »

I'm a fan of the Feather Popular TTO that retails for around $20 online. It works best with sharp blades from the same brand.
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

The great TTO quest! I love them, too, but I haven't found any recent ones yet that are as good as the old Gillettes or even the Schick "Krona." I haven't tried the Merkur Vision because of its complexity and price.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Pretty sure the VdH is made by Weshi and the next time I'm in Walmart I'll try to remember to give it a close look.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Doug, please let us know whether or not the VdH in use satisfies your stated objective of a TTO equal to a Gillette.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
J T

Post by J T »

Jarrod at The Superior Shave says the Vision is no longer in production.
~ Jack
brothers

Post by brothers »

J T wrote:Jarrod at The Superior Shave says the Vision is no longer in production.
I had one briefly, and it was just too much of everything. More of an exagerated caricature of a real razor. At least I can say I experienced it.
Gary

DEF

Post by DEF »

The Van der Hagen TTO is not quite as hefty as the old Super Speeds, but the mechanics are the same, and it's a great little razor for the money. It's very mild, but a capable shaver. For what it is, which is a bid to convert cartridge shavers into DE users, it is perfect -- comfortable, accessible, stylish, and a great value. Best with a Feather blade, IMO. Thanks to BeatlesFan for alerting me to this option.
Doug
numerouno

Post by numerouno »

The Parker 99r ! A very nice shaver.
Brutus

Post by Brutus »

brothers wrote:
J T wrote:Jarrod at The Superior Shave says the Vision is no longer in production.
More of an exagerated caricature of a real razor.
+1
That pretty much describes it.

Years back, I took one look at the Vision and decided that this over-engineered, over-sized, overwhelming (and over-priced) contraption was not for me.
The (non-TTO) Futur was about as far I would want to go size-wise.

When I wanted to try TTO razors I thus bought various Parkers that worked well enough.
Also tried a Giesen and Forsthoff Timor TTO just long enough to realize that I did not care for it at all.

In the end, I settled for 3-piece safety razors.

B.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell