Darwin Deluxe Cobalt Stainless Steel razor

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
brothers

Darwin Deluxe Cobalt Stainless Steel razor

Post by brothers »

Purchased this razor from Keith in NYC. Very shiny Cobalt stainless steel, made in Sheffield England around the mid-1930s. Photos don't do it justice. It's a beautiful thing. The shave is a bit harsh, a very close shaver. Not mild, in my experience. Three piece razor. Very hard to find. I had made up my mind to buy it if I ever happened to see one of these for sale anywhere, and that's what happened. A piece of shaving history, in the original case.

Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
churchilllafemme

Re: Darwin Deluxe Cobalt Stainless Steel razor

Post by churchilllafemme »

Beautiful, Gary. Congratulations.
_______
John
TheMonk

Post by TheMonk »

As I've said in the Acquisitions thread, a beautiful razor, and a holy grail to many wetshavers! This bad boy and your Plisson Plexi brush will make for a pretty stunning SOTD! :wink:
David

“Use any means to keep from being a genius, all means to become one.” John Cage
brothers

Post by brothers »

Right! I really should try to post more SOTD pics.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
brothers

Post by brothers »

the gentleman who sold me this razor gave me some advice. He said don't use your most aggressive or extra sharp blades, instead, use your medium grade blades. My main blades are the Kai and the Personna hospital use blades. I really don't have something I call a medium grade blade. So I went ahead and used a Gillette Swede and as a result, the second shave with this beautiful Darwin stainless razor was excellent. It looks like a good combination of the Gillette Swede and the Darwin going forward. I couldn't be more pleased.
Gary

smoothshaver

Post by smoothshaver »

Congratulations Gary. I wish you many fine shaves with it.
-Ed
brothers

Post by brothers »

I've used the Darwin exclusively for several days. The first time I used a Personna prep blade, and thought the shave felt a bit harsh. I switched to the Gillette Swede and found the little razor's sweet spot. Luxuriously smooth results with no harshness, no nicks, no blood period. Just BBS every time. I tossed the Swede after 7 shaves. No reason to do otherwise.
Gary

jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

It's good when one finds the nirvana between razor and blade.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
brothers

Post by brothers »

Today I switched to from the Mongoose to the Darwin + Gillette Super Stainless blade for the next week or two. Checking to see how long the blade holds out. I need 11 to tie the Feather Pro.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

Yesterday's resulting shave with the Darwin and the Super Stainless blade (the 5th shave on this blade) was uncommonly smooth. 12 to 14 hours later.
Gary

celar36

Post by celar36 »

Good to hear. I had been tracking long time both this items. I am down to my 3 last Gillette SS
Jack
brothers

Post by brothers »

Jack, as of today, this blade and razor combination has yielded 16 excellent shaves. The razor was worth the effort and expense of finding it and paying the price to have it.
Gary

celar36

Post by celar36 »

Maybe one day I will get lucky enough to own that razor.....

Sounds great! I got 5 from DE most and it need to be extra good blade
Jack
brothers

Post by brothers »

Today's razor of choice. Every time I use it I am amazed. This one's the oldest of them, and the performance is unbelievable. In my initial original post, I called it harsh. It is NOT harsh, it's simply efficient. I wouldn't part with it for any reason.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

Today I loaded the Darwin with a new (old) Gillette Super Stainless blade. This blade seems to hold the excellent edge for an unusually long time. This blade replaces a Personna HU blade that lasted somewhere around 5 or 6 shaves.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

brothers wrote:Today I switched to from the Mongoose to the Darwin + Gillette Super Stainless blade for the next week or two. Checking to see how long the blade holds out. I need 11 to tie the Feather Pro.
As it turns out, many weeks after this post, I have finally put aside the other DE razors and am exclusively using the Darwin in rotation with the Mongoose. The only deviation for the time being will be when I work a straight razor into the mix.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

Looking back about a year and a half, this razor has knocked all others out of the park. No matter which blade, the shaves are BBS every time.
Gary

celar36

Post by celar36 »

Feel free when bored send this razor to me. :roll: [-o<

I had been hunting that razor for last 2 years and my patience is at low:/

One of guys on English forum found one at antique fair and bought it for less than 6$... couple weeks back...

At the minute I am getting best shave from Gillette New Improved Big Fellow and NEW Long Comb
Jack
rakha1

Post by rakha1 »

Hi
We have been approval by Darwin to remake this iconic razor. I have an original, which has been analysed for its metal contents and we are trying to exactly match the original. We are based in London, England. If interested, please send me your details and I will let you know when we start manufacturing.