Van der Hagen TTO Razor Review

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
DEF

Van der Hagen TTO Razor Review

Post by DEF »

Van der Hagen TTO Razor

- Mild, comfortable shaver
- Ideal for new DE shavers
- Good overall quality, though somewhat light
- Classic TTO styling
- Excellent value

Thanks to member BeatlesFan for alerting me to this razor. I am returning to DE shaving after some time away, and I'm getting reacquainted with my old gear -- mostly fixed-head Merkur razors. There's a special appeal to the old twist-to-open, or "TTO," style of razor, with its unique aesthetics and engineering, and I owned and sold old Gillettes in my former iteration here on SMF. This time around, with the benefit of some perspective on Razor Acquisition Disorder, I find pricing on the used/vintage market to be ridiculous. For me, the Van der Hagen TTO hits just the right spot.

I picked up this razor at my local Wal Mart for about $17, which is a wonderful deal for what this razor is.

Van Der Hagen TTO (left) with Merkur 34C "HD" for comparison (right).

Mechanically, it's the spitting image of an old Gillette. The TTO action is smooth and reliable. The knob feels a bit loose and rattly until the mechanism is fully tensioned, but that's a minor quibble.

Make no mistake: It is a very mild shaver, so those looking for aggression should steer clear of this one. But "mild" does not mean "ineffective," and I have been getting some outstanding shaves with this one. Especially with a Feather blade, I'm getting close, irritation-free shaves. Today's shave, with a Feather blade and glycerin soap, gave the best results yet. I have to make more touch-ups to get there, but the razor is so comfortable and easy to use that it's not a problem at all.

At 56 grams loaded, it's somewhat light, but there's enough substance to convey an impression of quality. Considering that this razor is largely a mainstream market bid to get cartridge shavers to cross over to DE use, I could not imagine a better offering. It's comfortable, easy to use, maneuverable, affordable, and stylish.

Very much recommended!
Doug
brothers

Re: Van der Hagen TTO Razor Review

Post by brothers »

It should be clear that guys just getting into (or getting back into) wetshaving should get a VdH or Weishi, etc., instead of throwing good money away on an old Gillette for no reason other than a mistaken belief that there's something magic about the old Gillette TTO Superspeed razors. I confess I am not aware whether adjustable TTO razors (similar to Slims and Fatboys) are available from the same folks that are making the non-adjustable TTO razors.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
DEF

Post by DEF »

I haven't come across any adjustable current-production TTOs, but my recommended pathway for a beginner would be to try the VdH, then add a Merkur 34C for a more aggressive fixed-head option, then perhaps try the Merkur Progress for an adjustable (but non-TTO) razor. I have those three, and I couldn't see myself ever needing anything else.
Doug
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I have long liked the Weishi, having bought one almost eight years ago when the Merkur Classic was just too aggressive.

My impression of pricing on vintage Gillettes is that the ones in collector condition demand exorbitant prices, while those in user condition won't sell no matter how low the price. I don't even see user-condition Gillettes coming up for sale anymore.

- Murray
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

I loved the weishi.

I have 3 reat user grade gillettes for sale, tto and adjustable.

The weishi delivers on shave and comfort.
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

many say the weishi head is wider then the Gillette ttos, but the weishi has the same amount of blade tab sticking out.
a-strong

Post by a-strong »

I suspect that van der Hagen TTO is undervalued because of the general belief that this razor is manufactured in China and that it is possible to buy the cheaper, similar quality Chinese razors that are sold under a different brand name.
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

van der hagen repackages weishi razors in their own packages and brand name. Its on the back of the box. razor made in china packaged in texas usa.

No one wants old Gillette adjustables anymore, unless its a fatboy, toggle, or NOS.
User grades cant be given away. im still trying.